German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if rotation feeding is the correct term for what I have a question about, so if I confuse anyone, I apologize in advance.

I know that it's better to put some variety in your dog's diet for various reasons, and I was wondering if it was alright to mix canned, kibble, and raw?

I already mix Ozzy's food dry/canned, but I'd like to throw some raw into the mix.
I know it's not good to feed kibble with raw during the same meal, but is it alright to feed a breakfast of kibble/canned and then a dinner of raw?

I'm not going to make it an every-day thing for Ozzy, but maybe a weekly treat. :)

Plus, when he's older I'm going to feed him Blue Wilderness kibble along with the cans and mix around the flavors.

Do you guys do this, or do you feed your dogs one thing? Or do you do something else with your dogs' feedings?

I just like the idea of throwing some raw into Ozzy's diet for the fact that I know that it can do amazing things. lol I had two ferrets prior to the one I have now, and I fed them EVO and ZuPreem - both high quality kibbles for fuzzies. They had soft fur for being ferrets, but Tesla is fed raw and he's got INCREDIBLY soft fur. Doesn't feel wiry like most ferrets' - I would compare it to Aphrodite's hair if she cut it short.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I'm not an expert on raw at all but I do kibble/can in morning and kibble home cooked at night. I make enough home cooked food to last 2 weeks and rotate proteins. Last week was chicken and ground turkey with whole wheat noodles, carrots, and green beans. I just made a batch of ground beef, brown rice, peas, and carrots for the next two weeks. Kinda a pain but they really like it and making it in bulk is cheaper than buying a ton of canned food:)

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
You can mix canned, kibble, and raw, in any combination you want including in the same meal. The problem comes up that you can be turning your puppy into a picky eater who won't eat unless given all the tasty extras. You might want to consider giving the extras once in a while rather than all the time to prevent this.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Once in awhile, i mix canned with their dry kibble or a raw egg (almost every day), or raw meat(whatever sounds good) but not that much. I rotate kibbles and have never had a problem mixing things in occasionally. They will eat it dry, no issues.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
I don't understand all this food anxiety. Much as I love my dog, she is still just a dog. My last 2 dogs lived 13 healthy years on dry kibble. My current dog is getting Orijen and is in the pink. As far as I am concerned anything in addition to that is just fun for the dog (and me sometimes) but not necessary. Dogs have been with us for tens of thousands of years, they adapt.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't understand all this food anxiety. Much as I love my dog, she is still just a dog. My last 2 dogs lived 13 healthy years on dry kibble. My current dog is getting Orijen and is in the pink. As far as I am concerned anything in addition to that is just fun for the dog (and me sometimes) but not necessary. Dogs have been with us for tens of thousands of years, they adapt.
That's my main reason for my rotations - I wouldn't want to eat the same thing every single day for my entire life. :eek:

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Most dogs are fed the exact same dog food for their entire life and they are excited from it every single day. They generally aren't terribly fussy about what they eat, considering they eat poop and anything dead they can find no matter how bad it smells.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Most dogs are fed the exact same dog food for their entire life and they are excited from it every single day. They generally aren't terribly fussy about what they eat, considering they eat poop and anything dead they can find no matter how bad it smells.
haha so true

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would not recommend mixing raw and kibble in the same meal. Raw meat is good bc it digests quickly and broken down easily. Kibble takes much longer to break down so it is best to seperate the two if do you plan to feed both.

Personally, I feed totally raw food to my girl and she loves it. I through in fish, beef, lamb and deer also. I try to give her somethign besides turkey at least twice a week.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Hondo eats kibble and canned. In the evenings he gets kibble, canned and raw. He is a picky eater, and is rarely excited over any food. He does however, love his frozen chicken leg each night. He doesn't get any table scraps. And won't touch anything slimy or green. I don't care what it is.

His poops are always small and solid. I don't know if that is the kibble or the raw. But I like the fact that he has very little waste.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts