1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this might seem small...

But I am so happy right now!!

Why?

Well I gave up on rocky "rolling over" infront of anyone but me and my boyfriend. (I taught him it as rolling on his side with this head touching the ground and not moving instead of actually rolling completely ovef because I thought it would help if he was at the vet or I needed to check his body anytime)

He is five months old and will lay there for up to 13 seconds without moving... But if anyone else is around he won't lay on his side because he wants to watch them and make sure they aren't coming at him.

So instead of getting upset that he will only do it I private I taught him leave it....

It took 4 days for him to "get" rollover, but only FIVE minutes for leave it! The next day I could put treats on BOTH paws and he stared at the treats back and forth bc he cudnt look at both at the same time!! It was pretty funny! Then he put his nose touching the treat but didn't get it until I clicked and gave it to him!

I am going to start trying leave it with household items... He really likes bras and shoes so they are def going to be used for trainin first!

I'm goin to keep working on roll over infront of guests so he will do it at the doctor.

Anyone elses puppy or adult learn something new?

I will post a video soon!

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry I'm on an iPhone and cannot type at all on it! My apologies for the misspellings, it autocorrects a lot and puts in words I don't want!

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Dodger finally learned sit pretty/beg after a month of trying to teach him. one night he finally got it and begged for me. I'm working on taking steps back to get him to balance on his own, then next will be getting him to beg with me standing in front of him it should be interesting.

oh and he learned bow. he finally learned the difference between bow and down lol

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Sorry I'm on an iPhone and cannot type at all on it! My apologies for the misspellings, it autocorrects a lot and puts in words I don't want!
mine does that too and it bugs me lol

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awww! Ive been wanting to try bow but there are so many different ways people say to do it! What did you do?

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Awww! Ive been wanting to try bow but there are so many different ways people say to do it! What did you do?
I used a clicker. I lured him into a down and when his elbows hit the ground but his butt was in the air i clicked and gave a treat (don't worry if he lays down when you treat the click marked the behavior.). I repeated until he understood that I just wanted his elbows on the ground it didn't take very long, then i added the word bow while still luring him with a treat. once he understood the word and physical cue (mine is putting one foot behind the other) I started phasing out the treat and only treating occasionally. hope this helped the whole process took maybe a couple of days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts