German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rocky did so good at training last night!!!

We took his leash off and he spent about an hour heeling beside me around the (fenced) back yard with several other dogs around doing their own thing. Occasionally, he would get distracted and veer off to smell or pee, but would come right back to me when I called him or clapped my hands. Whenever I stopped walking, he immediately sat down beside me with no prompting. He also climbed on and off various little bins, benches and chairs, went over the A Frame, and through the obstacle course, which includes a tunnel set on a platform about three and a half feet high and down a sliding board with nothing more than verbal prompting and a great deal of praise.

The trainer thinks Rocky is ready to go off leash, but I am not, lol. He says am over protective, which I am sure I am, but says that he sees me growing in confidence. As we were leaving the yard, I asked him if he thought we could try going down the driveway to the car with Rocky just dragging the leash. There is a street right there that gets a good bit of traffic that I was anxious about, but Rocky made no attempt to run off. He got right in the car to go home.

What a good boy!!!

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
That's huge success, congratulations! Your work with him is paying off, and it just keeps getting better!

·
Super Moderator
6,097 Posts
He's doing great, thanks to his owner's dedication!I'm glad you found each other:)

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I really like Rocky stories and it sounds like you two are becoming in sync with each other. The more confident he becomes with what you teach him, the more confident you become with what he teaches you. At least that is what I have found has happened between me and my guy. Confidence is contagious. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts