German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am desperately in need of some help. I have two shepherds that need re-homed. I never imagined I would find myself in this position, and have fought against making this decision for years. Now I realize they would have been better off if I had made this decision when they were still young. I had a litter of puppies in March of 2009. Before I had sold all the puppies I realized my Bitch had EPI, exocrine pancreatic insufficiency. I had her spayed immediately and decided I would just keep the 3 puppies that were left. I was afraid they wouldn’t be cared for. I currently have 5 GSDS and am in the position where I can care for them no longer. I have found a good home for one of them. My ‘old man dog’ Starr, is 11 ½ and he will, of course stay with me. The Mama dog Brie is 6 ½ and I’d like to keep her also.

I am 63 and have had 2 total knee replacements about 8 years ago. Over the last 2 years my knees have gotten progressively worse and it is painful for me to walk or stand any length of time. I am going in on August 1st for a third operation to replace the original prosthetic. It will be at least 4 weeks before I will be up and around enough to even go outside. My husband is not the dog person, I am. He is the bringer of treats only. We are both retired , but in the last few years he has had to work part time to support our baby dogs. Now it is a matter of simply not having the health or energy to take care of so many dogs. I simply can’t do it any more.
They are in desperate need of care. I am no longer able to brush and wash them the way they need, and Vet care is so expensive. They are both chipped, crate and leash trained, and very loving dogs. The male, Riggs has had bad ‘hot spots’ all summer long that I can’t get under control. He is not EPI symptomatic. He is a very big, lovable lunk of a dog with a soft temperament that just wants to sit on your lap and be petted. He has never been around other dogs beside his mother and siblings and doesn’t know what a cat is.

The female Sadie has EPI and is on enzymes every meal just like her mother. She is spay, and is a very smart, sweet little girl.

Please help me. I would like to go into surgery knowing they have a new home and are taken care of. Any help or referral you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Roxanne Shrewsbury

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
I've sent this out to a couple of people who always have good ideas.

I would say check Petfinder, and then look for good rescues that would let you do what is known as a courtesy post on their website/Petfinder.

Help to Place Your Own Dog | German Shepherd Rescue of New England has a bunch of information - they must have redone their website (yikes) so you need to click at the bottom of each section to get to the page I was looking for and don't have time to find!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jean. Any leads are greatly appreciated. I know the amount of GSD in need of homes is overwhelming. That is why I kept those three puppies. I used to do transport, and know how dire the situation can get.

My problem is I let it go to long. I should have done this months ago, but I love them so much it was impossible to make that decision until recently when my knee got so bad I can barely walk. After my surgery on August 1st. I'll be flat on my back for at least 2 weeks, and won't be able to even get to my computer. Won't be able to drive for 8 weeks. So you see I really don't have time to try to place them myself.

I'm headed to the German Shepherd rescue of New England's website now. Thanks again, Roxanne

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Do you have pictures of them? That helps. Do you have a way to test them with other dogs and cats? That might make a big difference for anyone considering them.

Also, do you get your enzymes from Enzyme Diane? They are MUCH cheaper there (much cheaper than getting them from the vet).

Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have pictures, but how do you post them? I'm not seeing that option.
Yes, I get my enzymes from Enzyme Diane, in fact have a shipment on it's way now.

I have no way of testing them, as my mobility is limited.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts