German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello guys,

When I walk Rex, he back /pelvis area kind of bobs up and down.

When he wakes up, he stretches while dragging his feet. Quite cute.

I tried looking at Youtube of GSD walking and they bob in the back some. I am just concerned that it seems a bit more pronounced than I see on videos.

I have Xrayed him fully at 10 months and he was all clear.

Is this rocking motion normal on walks and differs in pronunciation depending on the individual structure? Should I get it checked?

I want to add that he has quite a straight back as you can see in his avatar. The vet told me how refreshing to see more stright back. Perhaps this contributes to bobbing as there is more length for the legs from the joint to the ground?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,175 Posts
at 10 months old your pup is still growing, although not as fast as a few months ago. That is bound to create some awkward periods. If your vet says he looks good and he is running and playing freely, I wouldn't worry. And my guys stretch their full bodies, back legs and feet, too. We call it a "good stwetch". yeah, sounds like baby talk and I have no idea why we do that.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
at 10 months old your pup is still growing, although not as fast as a few months ago. That is bound to create some awkward periods. If your vet says he looks good and he is running and playing freely, I wouldn't worry. And my guys stretch their full bodies, back legs and feet, too. We call it a "good stwetch". yeah, sounds like baby talk and I have no idea why we do that.
I meant he is 15 months old but I did Xray him at 10 months.....

Good Stwetch :)

·
Registered
863 Posts
Hello guys,

I tried looking at Youtube of GSD walking and they bob in the back some. I am just concerned that it seems a bit more pronounced than I see on videos.

Is this rocking motion normal on walks and differs in pronunciation depending on the individual structure? Should I get it checked?

I want to add that he has quite a straight back as you can see in his avatar. The vet told me how refreshing to see more stright back. Perhaps this contributes to bobbing as there is more length for the legs from the joint to the ground?

Thanks!
My dog stretches like that too. It looks like one of those yoga poses. What's cute is when he did that as a 8 week old.

You might want to post a video or direct us to a site where we can see it. Then the more experienced GSD owners in here can tell you if your dog is fine or not.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Video

Here is a video this morning illustrating this....

He goes up and down the stairs normal. Plays, runs etc.... 15 months old now...

I am not sure if I just realised this or it was like this before.

Please let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Hello guys,

Thanks!
Jack has a straight back as well and his rear end sways while walking. Almost looks like he has a swagger. He's 3 years old and has absolutely no trouble moving about. I think it's just because the back legs are longer.

I'm sure Rex, like Jack, moves like he's gliding when trotting. I've concluded that the trot is the true natural gate of the GSD. They look far more comfortable doing so.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jack has a straight back as well and his rear end sways while walking. Almost looks like he has a swagger. He's 3 years old and has absolutely no trouble moving about. I think it's just because the back legs are longer.

I'm sure Rex, like Jack, moves like he's gliding when trotting. I've concluded that the trot is the true natural gate of the GSD. They look far more comfortable doing so.
Thank for the feedback! I have a feeling it is because of the straight back.

Here is the link again. Changed the settings to public

·
Registered
547 Posts
Looks about the same. More bobbing and less swaying. Maybe given him another year before really worrying about anything.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I have no expertise is conformation but I think what you are seeing is a conformation issue. He is straight backed and has no angulation in his rear. The rear legs are straight directly under the hips. My girl is this way. Although she doesn't bob up and down like your boy does she does sway when she walks. We have always referred to it as her girly sexy sashay. My girl does have HD and as she has aged (she's 6) her bunny hop run has become very pronounced. Since you have already done xrays and they are clear I would say it is basically a limitation in movement based on structure.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
I'm no expert, but i don't see much movement in the knee, the rear legs appear stiff. I have a female with less angulation and a straight back yet her movement is smooth regardless of surface/speed.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I reviewed all of Rex s videos. I got him when he was 8 months. Exact same bob in all the videos in the past. I had him x rayed fully at 10 months because he hit himself and was limping in a the front leg. Never thought about the bob untill recently. I am guessing since he was all clear on xrays at 10 months while he was bobbing already, it must be his anatomy. Otherwise the 16 x rays would have caught something. But anyway I am going to the same ortho who x rayed him to ask about this! Uufft the paranoia. Never had a kid and never felt this kind of worry about everything. I hope he is all ok and given above I think we should be good. I hope!

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
The dog's gait looks unnatural to me. As someone mentioned, it could simply be your dog's conformation. You might consider getting a x-ray of the dog's spine.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The dog's gait looks unnatural to me. As someone mentioned, it could simply be your dog's conformation. You might consider getting a x-ray of the dog's spine.
He did Xray his spine last time.....but looks that I will do it again $$$$$ to get some peace on the situation.

Thank you Chip for always being helpful.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
If your dog is eating well, doesn't have trouble getting up and seems comfortable and gets around well, it is likely just his normal gait due to his proportions.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update

Went to the ortho that did Xrays for Rex about 6 months back.

He said the video cam accentuates the rocking and that since he had the same motion before when we did the Xrays, and after doing tests today, he said he is clear :)

So you guys suggsted, it s how he is structured....

Cheers

1 - 17 of 17 Posts