German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, ok, so he turned 2 on June 15th. But we've been busy! Just got back from a backpacking trip and he carried 10% of his body weight in his pack--his food and supplies, heh. That dog eats 4 cups of Orijen a day and he's STILL skinny. In fact, on this backpack, when he got wet, I could easily see his ribs, even through his fur. He's not a scarfer, so what do you do. It's almost 7 miles in, we spent two nights there and were surprised at how busy it was. Too many people for me!

This trip had to cross a very fast glacier-melt stream 4 times. He's never done that before (just swam in ponds and lakes and big rivers on the edge) and hasn't been out on a trip since last fall, so I was a bit anxious. The first one is a log crossing and he just jumped right on, pack and all.

Here he is by an old Doug Fir:

He did so great on the trail. It was very hot and humid, especially for him, since Spokane in general isn't humid.

Here he is at the lake:

And my fave, on the way back home:

When we got back Tues night, we grabbed the kids Wednesday and headed over that afternoon again for the 4th of July. Picked up a couple extra teens and he was in heaven!

And my favorite:

This is him and some of the kids, right smack where he loves to be, in the middle of it all:

All in all, he's doing fabulously. Took him into town in Montana for the parade, took him with us to do fireworks, he was awesome. Got a little chest-thumpy when a big mastiff walked by on the street (two barks) but no reaction to any of the other dogs, nor the little Malteses that got loose in the campground and came running over. :crazy:

So far, so good!

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Happy Belated Birthday Rocket :)

Awesome photos! Just gorgeous scenery and he looks great!

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Happy 2nd Birthday Rocket Dog.Wishing you lots more fun filled adventures. BTW gorgeous pictures.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Happy Birthday, Rocket! Stunning photos :)

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Happy Belated Birthday handsome guy!! Ugh Aimee, I hate you for these pictures. I envy your life!! *so* beautiful! Rocket is a lucky doggy. ;)

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
2 years old huh? You haven't seen the best he has to offer yet. I get a bit misty eyed thinking back on Banjo when he was 2. A spaz, a nut....but a good dog. Somewhere around 3 or 4 he changed and became the best thing ever. A thinker and a do-er, his ability to read me and just be a wholly incredible animal. You'll know when RD hits this plateau, you will find yourself wondering how on earth you managed to get the worlds best dog.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2 years old huh? You haven't seen the best he has to offer yet. I get a bit misty eyed thinking back on Banjo when he was 2. A spaz, a nut....but a good dog. Somewhere around 3 or 4 he changed and became the best thing ever. A thinker and a do-er, his ability to read me and just be a wholly incredible animal. You'll know when RD hits this plateau, you will find yourself wondering how on earth you managed to get the worlds best dog.
This gives me hope lol! He is quite good, but like you say, sometimes a bit of a nut and I can see he's still got maturing to do. Thanks for the words of encouragement. :)

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Happy Belated Birthday Rocket!!! He looks awesome, the scenery is gorgeous as well.
Bear seems to be the same as Rocket in the weight department, he will be 2 in October and he still hasn't put on any weight since age 1.
Rocket is one lucky dog :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts