German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took apache for a walk around a lake today. She got into the water the first time, not quite swimming though. I met a guy and we were talking and a road biker came speeding around a curve in the exercise path. Apache charged and got stopped at the end of the leash short of the exercise path.
The [email protected]#% yelled at me to watch my dog?
I was watching her, thats why she came nowhere near him. He never even slowed down, like every other lazy road biker who claims to want exercise hes too lazy to ever slow down??? I actually got pissed and we went over to the cars hoping to see him and I was gonna tell him off.:eek:

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
That's so upsetting. I get really sad when people can't share the roadway or a path. I believe bicycle etiquette is to not scare animals and the pedestrian has the right of way.

The majority of the bicycle riders off-road do not slow down and expect you to move off the path for them. I can only think of one place where I live along a river levee where bikers are considerate. Before we had dogs, when my twins were little I thought we'd explore these trails in the woods. Within 10 minutes, we were almost hit 3x by mountain bikers. Ya, like I want to go off the trail and get poison oak, selfish, selfish riders. I love riding bicycles but I stick to the street. If I need to go on a pedestrian path, I go very slow and warn people I'm coming up on them.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
If he were a serious road biker who needed a speed workout he should have the brains to find a path not used by pedestrians.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was on my mountain bike as well but we werent moving at the time. I always get a bad vibe from road cyclists. They are supposedly exercising but hate using their brakes? You get more exercise from slowing down and then accelerating. I always slow when approaching people vs the speeding past as you say on your left thing.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
I was on my mountain bike as well but we werent moving at the time. I always get a bad vibe from road cyclists. They are supposedly exercising but hate using their brakes? You get more exercise from slowing down and then accelerating. I always slow when approaching people vs the speeding past as you say on your left thing.
That's because they are weird, lol at least most of those that I know. I commute by bike and there are some militant types out there, not me, I try to be courteous when I ride. Most trails have signs indicating who has the right of way and bikes are usually required to yield to horses and pedestrians. Most trails around here (spokane) have a speed limit of 10 mph, but few follow it.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I walk twice daily in a 140 acre island park that is totally leash free. It also has a one way road of about 4 miles going around it that road bikers use all the time. Anyway I like to walk my dog off leash along the roadside on the inner side as there are 2 sets of berms with loads of rabbits in between that my dog loves to chase. I have 100% voice control over my dog. So one evening I'm walking along and a group of about 30 road bikers come flashing by. Each time they loop me one of the group shouted "Get your dog on a leash". There's no point in shouting back at them as they're gone in a flash, so I went to a section of the island where the road splits. In that area there is a large triangular bushy/grassy section that is full of rabbits. I timed it so that on their next loop, I sent my dog in, in advance and she flushed about 15 rabbits out onto the road in front of the bikers. I did it far enough in advance that no rabbits were hit but the bikers ended up having to stop. Suckers!

·
Registered
32,023 Posts
I used to be a pretty avid cyclist. I always cycled in the road, with traffic, the way you are supposed to. And yes, I would try to beat my speed from one location to another. Like, I could get from Jefferson to Ashtabula, 12 miles, in 27 minutes. Which is pretty good. (Takes longer on the way back.) But then, I ride at night when pedestrians are not the problem.

Usually it is the drivers who yell out the window, GET OFF THE ROAD! or just beep. Been hit too. Yayhoo thought it was kool to not even move over when he passed me, and his mirror clipped me and nearly knocked me off the bike. Another Yayhoo stopped at the light, and I pulled up behind, toes in toe-clip, and the the nut case started backing up! I could not move fast enough and he bent my front tire all the way into the rim before he realized I was shouting at him.

And I commuted to school 12 miles away, and I commuted to work 18 miles away. Never had that much problem doing that.

Now we have a bike trail. We didn't back then. But the bike trail is used by quite a few bicycles. But also people walking dogs, and strollers, and skaters, and walkers, and just about anybody else. So far I haven't seen horses yet.

I took the girls on the trail once last summer. They were five and just getting the hang of riding their two wheelers without training wheels and stuff. Everyone was courteous to us, and watched out for them.

Since it is a bike trail, when I walk dogs there, I listen for wheels, and when I hear them, I take the dog or dogs off the pavement into the grass and have them sit. And I do get excellent comments from people who appreciate that.

I actually like it here (on the few days per year the heavens aren't spewing on me). We have no money, and no jobs, and no entertainment, but people are generally pretty nice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts