German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, but I'm trying to learn about this subject/diet choice and just want to try a basic RMB to give my puppy something different.

What are the dangers of raw meat bones?
How early is too early to give a dog a RMB?
When should a RMB be given if it's more of a treat than part of an overall diet?

Thanks!

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
I don't see any dangers in feeding RMB's. As long as they aren't weight bearing bones they should be fine for a dog with healthy teeth and immune system.
I gave my puppy chicken wings at 8 weeks. Started him on legs/thighs at about 10 weeks and he gulped them down, so went with partially frozen 1/4s to slow him down.

I would give it at any time, but deduct the kibble amount so the dog won't get fat!

Turkey necks chunked into 1/3s are a really nice start for pups, too. They are pretty lean and the dogs digest them well. The amount of bone isn't huge, but there is some in there to work the pups jaws and teeth.

If you want a recreational chew, I would go with a raw beef knucklebone or soupbone. The cartiledge is beneficial for young pups:help the ears gain strength(if they aren't already standing) and is easy on new teeth erupting. Put it in the fridge for later after about a 1/2 hour of pup knawing on it.
If you leave it out it may dry and splinter, which is not good. Marrow bones are harder and the marrow will cause runny poo in some dogs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts