German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I’m new to the forum but I’m hoping that someone will have some input. I’m looking to purchase a puppy and I’ve found what looks like a good breeder nearby. I’ve spoken with the gentleman and he seems like a good guy but I’m not sure if he breeds the dogs on site- not that it matters to me if I’m getting a quality dog. The pup I’m interested in is being shipped from Germany and I’m curious if this is a common practice. He’s offered FCI and AKC registration and a contract that is fair.

Thanks to anyone who has anything to offer.

http://www.riversideshepherds.com

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
From what I've seen, I'd walk away! No pedigrees or health certs online? Hmmm.....

For me, a huge part of the decision comes from seeing and interacting with both the dam and the sire. If you don't have that option, it's extremely important to know the breeder personally. If neither of those conditions are met, why take the chance???

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
If you check the Pedigree Database, and Working Dog, there is more information on some of their dogs. Some of them have hip and elbow scores, and some do not. The pedigrees are for the most part, pretty darn good, but I always wonder about breeders who don't stick with a specific line. Riverside has both working line and show line dogs.

Vox vom Flyberg Hof

https://us.working-dog.com/dogs-details/5142045/Brit-z-Daskonu

Why they don't bother to post this info on their website is beyond me. Some dog people just don't get how marketing works!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
The dam is registered in Serbia (reg. # starts with a JR). She has been hip and elbow scored using the German system. Her hips are fast normal (second best rating, still acceptable, but less than perfect) and elbows are normal (A1).

The sire is also Serbian, and has no hip or elbow ratings given. Neither dog has any working or conformation titles.

Personally, I would likely give the litter a pass, due to lack of titles and no hip or elbow rating on the sire. I will PM you as to the other reasons I'd give this a pass.

·
Registered
32,588 Posts
What exactly are you looking for in a puppy? I'm not one to judge a breeder on their website. Some really good breeders have out of date websites or ones that lack information. You can find most of the pedigrees, or pedigrees to siblings in a search. Hve you looked on the OFA site?

Why are you having one shipped in from Germany? Are you planning on showing? Or is this a family pet? there are many good breeders right here in the states.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Jax. these dogs are Serbian, not German. You might want to google 'Serbian GSD Breeders' to see why I'd steer clear of these dogs. There have been a LOT of problems with scammers in this country!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
This breeding would be a 3,2-3 breeding on Zamp. Are you looking for something specific? To me, personally, this would be heavy line breeding close up in the pedigree. Might limit you options further down the road.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
You can get some very soft submissive dogs from Zamp. If your only goal is a nice pet, this breeding might be OK. If you have goals of doing more, I would keep looking.

Reactions: mnm
1 - 10 of 10 Posts