German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
I followed Schoep & John on FB, when you see all of the bad in the world it was so nice and touching to see a human love and care fir his dog into the senior years. More people shoulf look to that as inspiration as to how to love an animal for all of its life.
This story made me sad and happy all at the same time today.
RIP Schoep you were muched loved !!

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I was really saddened to hear of Schoep's passing :( RIP Shoep, I'm sure he's enjoying running and swimming again at the rainbow bridge

·
Registered
813 Posts
I saw this story this morning and was very sad to hear he passed. He must have had a wonderful life with an owner who loved him very much.

·
Premium Member
11,314 Posts
All our dogs and pups should have an owner like John......:rip: Sweet Shoep....

Lee

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Run free, Schoep. It's so sad to think of his passing and John's heartbreak, but at the same time, so wonderful that he was so blessed with an extraordinarily long life so abundantly full of deep love. Schoep lived the dream :)

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
I'm in awe of his longevity...and the support John recieved after that photo went viral. They moved to a new place last week, and I bet Schoep was disoriented(new scents) and his limited sight must have been making his nose work harder.
RIP Dear Schoep. I hope John adds another canine to his life, as any dog would be blessed to be in his care. :halogsd:

·
Registered
32,017 Posts
If you don't shed a tear seeing that pic you probably aren't human. Rip. Lucky dog and a lucky owner.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Dry-eyed alien over here.

But not much tears me up. And certainly not a 20 year old dog that has eeked out 18 more months of life, through being able to afford veterinary care to deal with pain, etc. I understand the guy loves his dog, and it is really hard to lose them at whatever age they are. For some of us, the last gift we give our critters is quick and hopefully painless passing. I think many of us feel that keeping a dog going at all costs is not necessarily the kindest thing to do.

But then it is very individual to the dog. If the dog was enjoying his walks and swims, his morning routine, a piece of cheese at night, then it may not be time yet. And no one need judge the owner of the dog that chooses to euth or wait.

To be a dog owner is to understand that we will one day lose our buddy. And that is very sad. Losing our buddy when it is young and strong, or in a violent attack, or through a horrible illness, or by accident when a puppy is ALL very, very sad. Losing a dog who is 20 years old is just as hard on the owner, but not something for perfect strangers to cry about.

-- No, I did not cry in the end of Marley and Me. But the book Old Yeller did get to me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts