German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I would like to say THANK YOU to everyone, particularly @dogfaeries who offered such encouragement and support/advice leading up to our first show. I couldn’t have asked for a much better first turn out! Rio won best junior, best male, and best of winners in both shows. He didn’t win either best of breeds, but I received many words of handling advice from the seasoned vets and plan on taking a class to polish our presentation. Overall I am super proud of him, he handled himself so well in a strange environment surrounded by a ton of other dogs and I just love him to pieces!

I ordered a professional photo but won’t get it for about another week, and my mom took a few on my camera I haven’t had a chance to upload yet. But I will!

Off topic: how do I get my photos to face the correct way?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,388 Posts
Ya!!! Congrats on your wins! I’m so glad you guys had a good time, and winning is always more fun than losing, lol.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Congratulations! He's a handsome boy! You need 1 more competition win and a few more points for his UKC CH!!! That's so awesome!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all so much for the kind words! I am over the moon about our day and can’t wait for the next show! They are hosting a show at the same venue in February, but maybe I can find another that we’d have to travel and stay over night for. I would’ve been happy if he behaved himself and didn’t do anything super embarrassing like pee on the judge LOL anything extra was above and beyond, so proud of my boy!!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thank you!! Here’s a couple not so great photos my mom took from the bleachers, what I’m really waiting for is the pro photo I paid for. My mom mentioned the dress I was wearing was a little big so I look a bit frumpy lol I’ll update my wardrobe next go round! A very nice German woman who gave me advice and helped me stack him for our photo encouraged me to train for rally so next show we could compete for total dog. Is this something I need to enroll in classes for or can I train at home? Any particularly great resources available for that online? And then a photo of him chilling on the way home, he was quite tired and slept the rest of the day/night.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Thank you!! Here’s a couple not so great photos my mom took from the bleachers, what I’m really waiting for is the pro photo I paid for. My mom mentioned the dress I was wearing was a little big so I look a bit frumpy lol I’ll update my wardrobe next go round! A very nice German woman who gave me advice and helped me stack him for our photo encouraged me to train for rally so next show we could compete for total dog. Is this something I need to enroll in classes for or can I train at home? Any particularly great resources available for that online? And then a photo of him chilling on the way home, he was quite tired and slept the rest of the day/night.
He looks great. I think you can train for rally at home--- I did. I just looked up exercises on youtube and taught them to my dogs in the basement and then started competing. You'd probably do better if you get in a class but if you just want to get your foot in the door, it's fine.

I was competing this weekend and on the heel free my dog popped behind me to my right side for a second and then popped back where he belonged. I didn't know why that happened--it's not something he normally would do. My friend who was watching us told me the tunic shirt I was wearing that had a little flair at the bottom blew into his face when I started running for the fast and he was trying to pull back from it to see which is what started our malfunction. I made sure to wear a more snug shirt the next day and will not make that mistake again. It didn't happen in our morning run with that same shirt--- I think he was tired by the afternoon-- I had pulled him out way too soon and the class dragged on and on before our turn so he was pooped and lagged a little and it was just enough for the shirt to blow over his face and give us a problem. Your comment about your dress made me think of it. Before this I honestly hadn't really considered making sure my clothes didn't interfere with my dog but I will now.

Fenzi might have online rally stuff-- worth checking

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Thank you all so much for the kind words! I am over the moon about our day and can’t wait for the next show! They are hosting a show at the same venue in February, but maybe I can find another that we’d have to travel and stay over night for. I would’ve been happy if he behaved himself and didn’t do anything super embarrassing like pee on the judge LOL anything extra was above and beyond, so proud of my boy!!
I like your attitude. Just have fun with your dog and appreciate him. There are way too many people in dog sports and dog shows who get too carried away with results, sometimes at the expense of their dog. Nothing is worth that.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Appreciated much, I will check out fenzi and good points about clothing choice. Rio is a dog and my buddy first and foremost. Most days he spends frolicking around my property in the woods, in the creek, rolling around getting dirty and just free to enjoy himself any way he pleases. He goes many places with me and we have at least one lunch date a week where he gets a burger patty and downtown strolling, he loves going out and about. The show was a good time but I bet if I were to ask him it was more fun for me than him and he’d rather be out in some mud with dog friends somewhere, lol! But because I asked he did all these things that make no sense to him. What more can you ask for? Next time since now I know there’s quite a gap in between shows, I think I’ll take him to a park or out in a field (if available) and just let him relax and play. I want him to have fun and not dread these events.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
The first horse show I was in I wore hand me down breeches, my barn boots and a borrowed helmet. My pony sported a borrowed saddle and a reworked driving bridle with hand braided reins. We got laughed at by the pony clubbers, but he beat them. I learned stuff. We went back to riding in the woods and jumping creeks, but I was awfully proud of that ribbon.
You guys looked great! At the end of the day, you went home with the best dog. He's gorgeous and looks happy and at ease. You did a great job.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts