German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

My GSD, Viktor, is a 1 yr old male (13 mo). His diet is grain free Orijen 2X a day (sometimes a bit of chicken added)- NuVet Joint Plus. NuVet Plus vitamins & Fish oil tab daily. He has never had symptoms of any allergies.

This rash just showed up yesterday. I had not noticed this patch prior as it is just under his upper back leg. I will call my Vet, but she is closed Mon & I will prob have to wait for an appt.

In the meantime this patch is not bald, but looks more like the hair has broken off or been nipped off with teeth itching. It is hard to see clearly underneath. It looks rashy, but on closer examination appears to have some sm red circle sores?

1- possibility of contact is our walking trail with deep creek, some extra boggy marshy water & high grasses. 2 - possibility is our Dog park. Viktor especially likes to hog the space under a picnic table to guard his ball & keep cool. Potential moist or contagious area

I would love any feedback & advice before I can get to the Doc.
Many thanks
Deb

Ringworm.jpg

ringworm2.jpg

ringworm3.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More than likely, it is a staph infection.
Not uncommon at all, as far as I have seen.

Here is a thread that includes what we went through with it. If I am not on top of it, it comes back.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/257538-what-picture.html
Now what you mention is quite interesting- Staph infection. Hmmmm

Viktor had Staph once before but different- in early May. He was bitten by a spider or something near his elbow. His armpit down to elbow swelled up huge almost overnight.
It was drained & he was put on strong antibiotics along with the "cone of shame". BUT there was not a rash.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
I agree it looks like a common staph infection. Clip, clean and dry the area. May need antibiotics to clear up.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
Usnea is excellent for all bacterial infections , internal and external -- very safe -- effective against C difficile , anti biotic resistant bacteria - and fungal problems.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advise re Staph from both of you !- I never would have thought that..... & since looked it up on skin.
I just left a message with the Vet. A nice oatmeal/aloe bath was given this am

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
more on Usnea -- more effective than penicillin , while not damaging gut flora, effective against fungal and other nasty parasite types Usnea barbata; Usnea plicata (Old Man's Beard, Tree Lichen) From Lise Alschuler, ND

ringworm is a fungus and can be eradicated with shampooing with Selsun Blue fortified , or Mane n Tail PROTECT or spritzed with Vetricyn .
Thanks for the tip. I will keep that in mind, once I know for sure that I know what ringworm looks like 1st hand. I was just hoping that someone would recognize the pics - had seen this before....

·
Registered
9,805 Posts
I do recognize the pics.
That is staph. It is a common bacteria that gets into the skin and causes sores when the immune system is not functioning optimally, or when something irritates the skin and the area is moist, allowing these bacteria to multiply.

Many GSDs have this problem.

Mine is having an episode right now.

I am treating with benzoyl peroxide shampoo and clorhexedine.
Amazon.com: Virbac Pyoben Shampoo 16oz: Pet Supplies

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do recognize the pics.
That is staph. It is a common bacteria that gets into the skin and causes sores when the immune system is not functioning optimally, or when something irritates the skin and the area is moist, allowing these bacteria to multiply.

Many GSDs have this problem.

Mine is having an episode right now.

I am treating with benzoyl peroxide shampoo and clorhexedine.
Amazon.com: Virbac Pyoben Shampoo 16oz: Pet Supplies

Amazon.com: Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Micro-Emulsion Spray 6.8 oz.: Pet Supplies
Sunflower

You prob are right! I prob should have those products on hand, esp since he has already had a Staph infection pretty recently-even though different. Since puppyhood will go on til abt age 2 & their immune system is not fully developed till then.... & he is a big boy, so maybe his development is slower than some.

So yours is not on antibiotics? & how old?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts