German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Please share your training process for this! This is great!

Watched a corny youtube video. Then complained on this forum on how he would never be potty trained. But stuck to having him touch paws on bells on every time we went out even overnight potty breaks at 2 and 4am when he was smaller....I hated the **** bells thought it would never work but was consistent, then all of sudden I heard the bell ring and I sprinted to door. He pooped and I cried. Yes I cried. Search using potty bells video. I made my own with a extra large collar key rings and jingle bells from Walmart.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Those bells backfired on me twice, with my last two pups. Both pups were winter pups. Both got the concept that ringing the bell got them outside. Both learned quickly that when the water was up for the night they could ring the bell and I would let them out, where they went and ate snow. Of course you never know if they really have to go, so if they ring it they go out. They figured this out quickly. I still have the bells up and they still get used, now that they are older it's for when the have to go to the bathroom for real.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Those bells backfired on me twice, with my last two pups. Both pups were winter pups. Both got the concept that ringing the bell got them outside. Both learned quickly that when the water was up for the night they could ring the bell and I would let them out, where they went and ate snow. Of course you never know if they really have to go, so if they ring it they go out. They figured this out quickly. I still have the bells up and they still get used, now that they are older it's for when the have to go to the bathroom for real.

Too funny they are smart. He has been good about not abusing it yet... I am suprised my other adult dogs which I didn't train on bells have not caught on yet.....

Here is the video for those that were interested. I think it's deceiveing it looks easy..
LoL..... like la la la here is how you do it puppy....then la la la the puppy gets it...

Uh no try weeks of cursing under your breath while touching his paws on bells and having puppy, hubby and kids look at you crazy... then one day bang bells be riNing and you walk around like the master dog trainer while your family gushes you with praise.

Then reality hits and it's mommy what's for dinner, hunny where's my work shirt.
..sigh... lights and glory atleast for 5 minutes.

https://youtu.be/glpKfDTxATM

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Too funny they are smart. He has been good about not abusing it yet... I am suprised my other adult dogs which I didn't train on bells have not caught on yet.....

Here is the video for those that were interested. I think it's deceiveing it looks easy..
LoL..... like la la la here is how you do it puppy....then la la la the puppy gets it...

Uh no try weeks of cursing under your breath while touching his paws on bells and having puppy, hubby and kids look at you crazy... then one day bang bells be riNing and you walk around like the master dog trainer while your familk gushes you with praise. Then reality hits and it's momy what's for dinner, hunky where's my work shirt.
..sigh... lights and glory atleast for 5 minutes.

https://youtu.be/glpKfDTxATM
All of mine use the bells, even the older ones that never had any training, so I think yours will eventually use them. My older GSD just realized that his nose can open lots of stuff, so now no gate can stay shut and he has been ringing the bells all week. I think he likes the noise.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Not only handsome but he is a smart pup to !Congratulations on your training.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts