German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 10 week and 3 day old GSD. He's well behaved overall but he pees wherever he feels like it. We live in a rather large house and the only real signal he gives is sniffing the floor. I'm currently trying to train him to use the bells to let me know when he needs to go, but they are a good 20-30 feet from where we spend most of our time inside. He's outside most of the day, but in the evenings he is with us inside. We have two places he goes potty: one for when he's outside and one for when he's inside. Should we be using one? Is it ok to have two doors where he can ring his bells?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
482 Posts
I love the ring the bell potty training but I did it slightly differently. First only one place to go potty that young too confusing until they have the concept down completely. Second I rang the bell on the way out to the potty spot and took it with me when my dog would potty ring the bell like crazy, get down have a party and treats treats treats! Do that for at least a week until the dog starts to look for the bell to be rang and their treats after might take longer or may only take a few days. When they are being consistent with looking to you for the bell and their treat for a week (or two or less depends on dog) The bell no longer comes outside with you. Leave it on the door ring it on the way out and wait to hold the party until you go back in with your treats and ring the bell. Also although it is not convenient do not let the dog out of your sight, I mean tether it to you if necessary. Do not give the opportunity to have an accident, if you cant watch it then put it in its crate (assuming you use one). Take your pup out frequently and do not return into the house until a potty has occured. Take it to the same spot in the yard every single time. A month or so will pass and keep ringing the bell encouraging the pup to touch the bell as well, soon they will ring it on their own and no longer have to be tethered to you or locked up. They are smart it just takes consistency and not letting the accidents happen.

·
Registered
75 Posts
At ten weeks you should be taking the puppy to the door every 15 or so minutes, have him nudge the bell then taking him out to pee. After a while he will associate ringing the bell with someone taking him out when he needs to go. If you provide a place inside for him to pee then why would he go outside at all??? IMO he shouldn't be allowed to pee inside at all I think you'll do nothing but confuse the poor thing.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I don't think having two different doors would be confusing, at least it wasn't for mine. We took her out very frequently though. When you say he's outside during the day, are you out with him? I've never tried to housetrain a dog that was both inside and outside, so if that's the case hopefully someone else has useful tips for that scenario.

I accidentally trained mine to use bells, never even rang the bell myself. I had some windchimes on the door handle that jingled when we went out. The dog learned to associate the sound with going outside and figured out to jingle them when she needed out.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
The way my bells hang on the door they ring theirselves when the door opens, so that is how my dog learned to associate it with going outside. Am I right you have a place in the house for your dog to potty, I think that you would be better off just having your pup go outside to potty and I think that it could be very confusing for him. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My GSD is actually frightened by the bells. He cowers away from them when I ring them. I'm sure he would get used to it over time, but could I use this in place of bells? All he has to do is step on it and it squeaks. I have it taped to the floor. I got it from a squeak toy that he tore to oblivion. ImageUploadedByPG Free1374183525.900637.jpg

·
Registered
252 Posts
I think the bells at a good idea...my pups are girl 13 months, boy 9 months.
These dogs at sooo very smart I think you could teach them to do anything.
I'm going to teach the bell to mine. Luckily the weather is nice this time of year
for you. We just started going out every 15 minutes and cheered every time and
When they came in they got a treat! Even today, as soon as they come in they sit
Looking up at their cookie jar :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
My puppy is 15 weeks and will ring her bell to go outside. It has been about 2 weeks since she last had an accident. I hung the bell on our slider door which comes down to about her nose length. I first always rang it when she went out, she'd then sniff it and ring it and praised her a ton when she went potty. She caught on to the bell quickly and a few days after putting it up she rang it herself. I still take her out about every hour and most of the time I am making her go potty before she even starts thinking about it. I used a bell from one of my parrots old bird toys.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
a 10 week old pup outside most of the day is a bad idea, very
bad idea. the pup needs to be with it's pack. how do you train
a 10 week old pup when it's outside most of the day?

·
Registered
942 Posts
Mine learned the bells at 13 weeks and no accidents here! It was perfect!!! He learned it in 2 days! Downside? He rings them for everything! LOL see a bird? Ring the bell! Wanna bark at a leaf? Ring the bell! Oh well, I'd rather get up to do the in and out dance as opposed to cleaning up potty! Also, when he goes in and out a lot I take the hint- he's bored! So grab the treats and a 10-20 min training session ensues! Tada! Pup sleeps for two hours!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts