German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watched Rin-Tin-Tin, Skull and Crown, and I have to say, the title is the second-best thing about the film. This film was made in 1935 and the craftsmanship is laughably poor. I haven't watched many movies from this period, so I can't say if it's typical. However, one thing didn't disappoint and that was the star, Rin-Tin-Tin Jr (son of the original silent film star). We watched to see a GSD do cool stuff and he did. My Jupey knows quite a few commands and a handful of tricks, but what RTT's owner was able to accomplish amazed me.

The best part was at the end, when RTTJr fought a bad guy for like three minutes. It was such an awkward combination of too real and obviously fake that I laughed harder than I had for weeks. Clearly RTTJr was taught bitework in addition to Disney-like tricks. You realize that you do not want to get in a fight with a GSD.

·
Super Moderator
6,295 Posts
I'll have to see if I can find that one.Some of those old movies and tv shows are hilariously awful regarding fight scenes and how the animals are being cued off camera.

·
Super Moderator
7,008 Posts
Watched Rin-Tin-Tin, Skull and Crown, and I have to say, the title is the second-best thing about the film. This film was made in 1935 and the craftsmanship is laughably poor. I haven't watched many movies from this period, so I can't say if it's typical. However, one thing didn't disappoint and that was the star, Rin-Tin-Tin Jr (son of the original silent film star). We watched to see a GSD do cool stuff and he did. My Jupey knows quite a few commands and a handful of tricks, but what RTT's owner was able to accomplish amazed me.

The best part was at the end, when RTTJr fought a bad guy for like three minutes. It was such an awkward combination of too real and obviously fake that I laughed harder than I had for weeks. Clearly RTTJr was taught bitework in addition to Disney-like tricks. You realize that you do not want to get in a fight with a GSD.
Not sure if it was the case back then, but keep in mind, like human actors, dogs in films also have doubles.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
A great blast from the past reminds me of the title of a Nancy Drew book. Watching some great movies from the past horse whisperer, secretariat - not to far back. Needing a shepherd movie to watch. Today we went for a real long wAlk with the kids And dogs through trails across the street and a walk through the neighborhood. Usually someone is in the trail every now and then or a group using quads. Today a family , group of quads and a man and his dog in the trails an unusual but a good sighting. We saw some bikers and people walking People out enjoying their yards. Some own actually rakes up their own leaves. It felt like the 80’s. I could go for a good lassie movie to.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll have to see if I can find that one.Some of those old movies and tv shows are hilariously awful regarding fight scenes and how the animals are being cued off camera.
There is a DVD for $10 that has 6 or 8 movies on them.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure if it was the case back then, but keep in mind, like human actors, dogs in films also have doubles.
From the articles I've read, RTT and his son did their stunts. They were pretty amazing pooches. Before RTT, there was a dog named Strongheart (GSD) who also had movies.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A great blast from the past reminds me of the title of a Nancy Drew book. Watching some great movies from the past horse whisperer, secretariat - not to far back. Needing a shepherd movie to watch. Today we went for a real long wAlk with the kids And dogs through trails across the street and a walk through the neighborhood. Usually someone is in the trail every now and then or a group using quads. Today a family , group of quads and a man and his dog in the trails an unusual but a good sighting. We saw some bikers and people walking People out enjoying their yards. Some own actually rakes up their own leaves. It felt like the 80’s. I could go for a good lassie movie to.
I've never seen so many people out in Phoenix enjoying our tiny window of great weather since COVID.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts