German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has a few words of wisdom for me. Riley and I have been going to obed classes for several weeks now. He does great during the obed training. But before and after the training, he seems to think that he has to bark at every dog around. Sometimes it is just barking, and occasionally, he will lunge on the leash toward one walking by. Last week another pup tried to walk up and sniff him, and Riley showed his teeth at him. The curious thing is, when the other pups are sitting still, Riley seems to want to go up to them llike he wants to meet and greet (usually at the most inconvenient times). I am wondering if it is just because he is still insecure and perhaps even afraid of them, if it is just because he doesn't know how to act around other dogs, or if this is aggressive behavior brewing. One thing I noticed is last week, as the last exercise in class, the trainer had us to spread out and walk our pups in a circle around every one else in the circle. Riley was initially visibly uncomfortable when the others were walking around him but did better at the end, and he tried to go to the very end of the leash away from the others when we were walking around them. (I am going to ask that we do this again next week anyway). And he ALWAYS tries to pull me back to the car after training is over. He can't get there fast enough, and I have to stop several times to try and stop the pulling! Does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop this barking now and make him more comfortable? It is curious that he does ok while we are working....

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I'd like to know what other people have to say too. My Koda is four months old now and when we're out he is now barking at other dogs he sees. He doesn't growl or show his teeth but has to bark. I think it is a fear thing. He plays well with a scotty dog we know, has no problem with the dogs in his obedience class; just wants to play. He is very submissive with all the dogs he has been around (including my other two older GSD's), it's just the initial sighting and meeting. I've taken him all over the place in the time I've had him and will continue to do so. We start another (our regular class) obedience class in September so I think that will help too. I don't want this problem to grow into an aggression problem as he gets older; need to nip it in the bud now. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
27,244 Posts
I would have the focus redirected back to you when your pup is barking, lunging at other dogs. As soon as he makes eye contact with you, treat and praise him. Clicker training is good for this, too. If you let your pup fixate on another dog, the other dog may see it as dominate behavior and react. As far as the running to the car, maybe take the long way out different direction each time, park in a different spot if you can. It is funny how well behaved they can be during training, and once out the door, different behavoir completely!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts