German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question: In rally, when you do the sign where you sit the dog, take one step at a 90 degree angle right, and then the dog returns to heel and sits....does the dog move WITH you or AFTER you step? I went to an APDT match and was told than in APDT, you step and then can ask the dog to "heel" and pivot into the sit but that in AKC the dog should move as you move. So as I worked on this with Kenya (wasn't needed for RN in AKC) I had her move with me. Then we went to an AKC show for our first RN legs and this sign was on the RA course. None of the dogs moved with the handlers. Which is correct or does it not matter?

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
No, the dog doesn't move with you in that exercise,.. Hence the call to heel position.. Once you pivot right 90 degrees, then you would call the dog to heel..

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
The 90 degree pivot right or left the dog comes with you. There is a sign that is a right or left turn, one step, call to heel where you would then call your dog to you after taking the step. the dog does not come with you on that one.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
It sounds like you're talking about the Halt-Turn Right One Step - Call to Heel - Halt, exercise #35. Is that it? If so, the dog does not move with you. The AKC instructions read:

"With the dog siiting in the heel position, the handler commands the dog to wait or stay. The handler then turns to the right, while taking one step in that direction, and halts. The dog is called to sit in heel position in the new location before moving forward to the next station."

So, if the dog moves with you before you make your turn it could be anything from points to an IP, depending on the judge.

The exercise where the dog moves with you are the left or right pivots, exercises #38 and #38. The dog also moves with you on the Halt - Sidestep Right - Halt, exercise # 40.

·
Registered
6,637 Posts

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! I *thought* it was a pivot right, but I'm probably wrong. That would explain why no dogs were moving. I guess the APDT judge was wrong and that confused me. I *know* the APDT sign was a sit, step right, sit, not a "pivot". She was the one that told me in AKC the dog had to move.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts