German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone in every video i've seen has their dog heel on the left side...with the percentages of right handed vs left handed, why have the dog heel on the weak side? Military/LEO I get it---that's typically the non-shooting hand side. I want Sabo to walk/heel/sit predominately on my right side, my strong side. Is this wrong? I dont want to do competition, at all! If he likes it, perhaps we will try some SAR stuff, does he have to be on the left for that?

·
Super Moderator
32,532 Posts
Is this wrong?
Nope! IF you were going to compete in OB or Schutzhund with him you'd need to train him to heel on your left. But that doesn't mean that he couldn't walk on your right under casual circumstances. I think it's not a bad idea to train a dog to be comfortable on either side, but if you're not going to compete with him it's simply a matter of personal preference.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i taught my dog to heel on either side with or without a leash.
i also taught him "other side". if he's on my left or right when i say
"other side" he switches sides. "other side" comes in handy when
another dog is approaching or a person with a child or whatever
reason you may need your dog to switch sides.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Heeling on the left makes sense for right handed people because it leaves the right hand free to preform tasks.

If you are not doing competition then go right. Also it is better for walking down the sidewalk having your dog on the right.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I'm with doggiedad. I'll give a "side" command if Buggi is getting bored, then work him from the right to keep him entertained.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
632 Posts
The left side heel allegedly originate much as swords were to carried on the right side- if you are walking and someone is approaching you in the Cro-Magnon (sarcasm) ages, the dog is your first line of defense, just like drawing your sword.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i give the "other side command" when someone is approaching with
their dog on their left side or someone walking holding a childs hand
on their left side, a pesrson pushing a baby carriage (it places some
distance between my dog and the carriage), on the trails in the woods
(horse and rider approaching), etc. i find "other side" as a useful nice
command.

I'm with doggiedad. I'll give a "side" command if Buggi is getting bored, then work him from the right to keep him entertained.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
i taught my dog to heel on either side with or without a leash.
i also taught him "other side". if he's on my left or right when i say
"other side" he switches sides. "other side" comes in handy when
another dog is approaching or a person with a child or whatever
reason you may need your dog to switch sides.
I agree with doggiedad also.
The only difference are the words I use, "heel" means heel left and "heel right" means that. I only wish I could do off-leash more often like doggiedad.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
nothing to wish for everything to train for.

I agree with doggiedad also.
The only difference are the words I use, "heel" means heel left and "heel right" means that.

>>>>> I only wish I could do off-leash more often like doggiedad. <<<<<

1 - 11 of 11 Posts