German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
I will say...I'm raising a puppy for another person right now who is a bit timid around dogs and strange people...it has been difficult to get into situations where I can expose her to new things. Depending on how old the litter is, maybe this will pass before you get the puppy? Maybe restrictions will be lifted and you can socalize more.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
I would not bank on that one. Lifting social restrictions in a few weeks would be a big mistake in this country. (Hand slapping face) We have not much handle on this now. We have the highest number of positive covid patients in the world. We have not reached the peak yet hopefully by June we see progress- that is only if social restrictions are kept in place. Perhaps USA can get masks for every living person in the country we can see more of change. Not sure what the issue is with that one we are America. Grocery store workers, amazon workers and police are all getting sick. Here I go on my rant.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Socializing my 9 week old pup is going pretty OK actually. There are still people around for him to see at a fair distance. All other areas are pretty much the same as normal (surfaces, obstacles, cars, sounds etc. If the pup is already well imprinted on people, it's just a matter of keeping it up. He doesn't have to petted by hundreds of people.
Did you get your puppy?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I got a new GSD puppy (M) a bit over a month ago to add to my 5 year old (M).

Pros: Tons of time to spend and train the new guy. 6 walks a day lol
Cons: Not too many dogs to socialize him with (he's 20 weeks now) but we pass a lot of people on trails now and see quite a few dogs.

It's been a perfect time for us.

·
Registered
9,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Update: socializing the pup is going well. His foundation is good as he comes from stable dogs. He is not afraid of people and open to new experiences. I do make sure he sees people every day and we do something new and interesting daily. He is 12 weeks old and is the dog I had in mind. The urge to chase cars is over, that was the main issue for several weeks. The intro to Deja took a few weeks as she had to be spayed because of a mammary lump. She has healed well and is being much happier since and before the surgery, so I wonder what underlying issues have been solved at the same time. They are doing well together but it requires some management as she is pretty intense and the pup is a bold one.
Enjoy your pups, do what you can while staying healthy!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just my .2, but I had a deposit for a non-gsd puppy and the litter isn't even due yet but I told the breeder I wanted to wait till after the quarantine because there's no way to get all the socialization in that such a young pup needs during a quarantine.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts