·
Super Moderator
4,423 Posts
Such a beautiful tank :)

How's it going with her?

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
The Carmspack Trio sure have some lucky owners!

I'm loving these updates from you all. I don't watch TV, so this is the closest thing to a "reality show" there is for me, lol... "Vicarious Reality".

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Such a beautiful tank :)

How's it going with her?
She keeps us on our toes!😅

She’s become very hesitant with commands, always taking a minute to decide if she really wants to listen or not. Trying to stay calm and consistent with her.

She’s still dog reactive, and stranger reactive to her property. I encourage the stranger aspect when guarding what’s hers but was hoping to get her out of the dog reactivity, still plenty of time but I may not get one without the other. Other than that she’s doing fantastic, turned into a little mama’s girl. Doesn’t let us hug without getting in between lol.

Every evening we try to head to a department store and work on her focus, run through commands with plenty of distractions, she does great.

Still working on returning the ball, I was doing the stonnie method when she was a pup but admittedly slacked on it. Regretting that now..

In an odd work situation this month but should be finished up next week and hoping to get her into a schutzhund group to see how she handles it.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
What do you mean by “I encourage the stranger aspect when guarding what’s hers”?
“Doesn’t let us hug without getting in between”

Both these scenarios sound like resource guarding behaviour that you need to nip in the butt.

For the most part, I don’t let Gus decide people are threats unless they do something that becomes an obvious threat. IMO way to much decision making by her is being allowed. People walking by my house or coming to the door, should not be a threat. Barking to alert me to this is fine.
I like the idea of getting to a good IPO club with some knowledgeable people to help guide you and observe these behaviours.

·
Registered
37 Posts
She keeps us on our toes!😅

She’s become very hesitant with commands, always taking a minute to decide if she really wants to listen or not. Trying to stay calm and consistent with her.

She’s still dog reactive, and stranger reactive to her property. I encourage the stranger aspect when guarding what’s hers but was hoping to get her out of the dog reactivity, still plenty of time but I may not get one without the other. Other than that she’s doing fantastic, turned into a little mama’s girl. Doesn’t let us hug without getting in between lol.

Every evening we try to head to a department store and work on her focus, run through commands with plenty of distractions, she does great.

Still working on returning the ball, I was doing the stonnie method when she was a pup but admittedly slacked on it. Regretting that now..

In an odd work situation this month but should be finished up next week and hoping to get her into a schutzhund group to see how she handles it.
Highly recommend working with a trainer for support. :) hopefully you can get out to schh club.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #68 (Edited)
We are working with a trainer on the reactivity. He’s highly respected trainer here locally who works with a lot of shepherds. So far he’s been a great help.

What do you mean by “I encourage the stranger aspect when guarding what’s hers”?
“Doesn’t let us hug without getting in between”

Both these scenarios sound like resource guarding behaviour that you need to nip in the butt.
Sorry- by re reading I can see the confusion. By hers I mean ours (property wise). By this I mean when a stranger is in our yard or at our door she is first to alert us. Since moving to our new home we have plenty of people around setting up cable, doing the lawn, paving driveway etc.. Also when a stranger gets near our car or camp site, same scenario which I have no problems with, unless you guys may see an issue here. She’s an angel once we tell her it’s ok and invite the person in with a conversation. If it’s someone doing work outdoors after some initial barking we address her and she watches intently but will bark again if they move closer.

I was wondering about resource guarding, she has no problem with sharing food or water with people or other dogs. Though if me and my girlfriend hug in front of her she runs over and jumps up with us. No barking or biting but she does whine. This is the only thing she’s done that made me wonder.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I personally don’t see the threat of someone being near my car, house, campsite etc. So I don’t want my dogs to see that as a threat. Now if that person runs and tackles me, that’s a threat that I would totally understand my dog reacting to.
I wouldn’t be encouraging her behaviour in these circumstances. If you’re working with a trainer to address reactivity, don’t encourage what you’re trying to stop.
In previous posts I believe I read something about Reya being excited to see dogs and people as this type of interaction had been allowed and encouraged when out and about. Is what you’re seeing now an excited puppy who gets frustrated when restrained around dogs and people or is this something totally different?
As for resource guarding, definitely put a stop to her getting between when hugging, send her to bed or wherever you use for her “place” command.
I’d start using NILF and setting boundaries.

The IPO club should be able to help you immensely.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Again, I should be more careful as to the words I use. When she barks she does not get encouraged or rewarded in any way, I firmly repeat “no” until she stops then she’s rewarded. Encouragement was a poor choice of words. I personally like having her alerting us to “threats” but you’re right, there needs to be a line to work on what’s danger and what isn’t. I always feel counter productive correcting the bark toward strangers, feels like telling a pointer not to point, though I do correct her as I’d rather have her bark at nothing than everything. Hoping the IPO club can help her learn to bark accordingly which I guess is the real goal here.

Sorry for all the confusion! I’ll have to pay closer attention to my word choices when posting here. Don’t mean for things to be taken out of context from what they are, finding it difficult to squeeze her entire personality into a few short paragraphs. I’ll work on that.

What we’re seeing is an excited puppy wanting to interact with everything. Teaching her to focus on me is a big part of our training right now.

·
Super Moderator
4,423 Posts
I would avoid encouraging any suspicion or reactivity altogether. I would also avoid excitement during any greetings. I know it's hard sometimes as people get all squeaky but I just tell them to be calm if they want to pet the dog.

It may seem like encouraging suspicion will help later when you want the dog to protect you. The thing is, you don't want her suspicious of normal things. People walking by or through the yard should be like a sign, a tree, a car. Just part of the normal world that doesn't require any action.

Someone walking in the door is totally normal, at least at my house. If they have bad intentions, they will smell different. That different smell and their behavior is what should trigger protection, not the presence of a person.

Right now, you want a confident dog that is neutral to people, animals and their environment.

I also agree that you need to address resource guarding now.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Here are some of our daily routines we try to incorporate with her. Some days we may not get to all but we try to wake up early enough to squeeze them all in our day..

Dog watching/socialization (from a distance) outside the dog park or in a field

Department store, getting her used to people in her space/area and not getting over excited.

Off leash recall work/letting her explore

Basic obedience we are tyring to build on. Goal would be to master it indoors and then slowly introducing more distractions and environments.

·
Super Moderator
4,423 Posts
In the first video, she looks good. I would change it up to asking for a behavior, can be anything (watch, down, recall, whatever) mark compliance and then produce the reward. What you are currently doing will have the dog looking for the reward, so when you don't have it, you won't get compliance. Focus on you, not the treat.

Second video looks great. They look so much alike!

Third video, I wouldn't ask for any behaviors after a recall. You want her driving towards you and the reward. I would walk backwards away from her to build up the behavior.

She's looking great! I like the relationship you have going. I hope you don't feel like I'm picking your training apart. Just trying to point out some things that may help you get where you are trying to go. I think you are doing a great job! Thank you so much for posting video.

Feel free to tell me to shut up :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Thank you @David Winners! Haha not at all! Please pick me apart. I'm new to all of this so I need all the helpful critique I can get. It's good to make sure we are training in the right direction with her. Trying to learn as much as possible.

I'll try to remember to take more videos so I can put you to work on correcting me haha. Usually get too caught up in the moment to hit record.

·
Super Moderator
4,423 Posts
I understand!

I shot some recall video this morning. I'll upload it here in a bit

·
Super Moderator
4,423 Posts
I did some recall training this morning. This is more recalls than I would usually put into a short session like this, but I wanted to isolate it for clarification. I also did a few engagement rewards when distractions popped up.

There is a spot where he gets distracted sniffing, checks out a bit. I didn't recall him here because he already had his ball, and I wasn't 100% sure he would comply. I went back to that same spot later in the video just to give him the opportunity to overcome that distraction.

Recall rewards are an event for Valor. I make it a big deal because it is a big deal! When using food, you have to be much more animated to keep the dog driving into you. With the ball, it provides the movement.

Feedback is always welcome!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Gosh, David, I really like his focus on you. You do what I do with my dogs where I randomly call them to me and reward. When we walk/hike, I’m always in their side eye. They’re constantly checking in. I love when he just sits and stares at you just waiting for direction. Such engagement. Reminds me of my current guy, and why I love German Shepherds. They live to please you.

Although I will say, it’s harder to do this type of recall in South Florida unless you have a large plot of land that is lake free. Every trail has bears; panther, snakes, alligators. I preferred training dogs in the Midwest. lol

·
Registered
7,775 Posts
Yeah I enjoy that 100% focus Max seems to be excel and have a great attention span. It’s fun to watch it strengthen as they mature.

@tycsco I never wanted to feel the need to reward any barking but to call dogs away if they are watching over their property. As a with suspicion - with in regards to just watching a person and checking their eyes - a big thing with Max you can see if they are responding to do the awareness of different interactions between you and that person. Max is watchful he is fine upon approach but watchful in general if out and about with strangers. What I find interesting though is I had met some friends that Max has not ever met at different parks or local trails on different occasions and upon meeting that person he warmed up instantly to them so he is definitely taking cues from me. He will right away want to check out if they are carrying a walking stick or whatever they are holding on their hand but he seems to accept them in my circle as it’s what I am doing. Luna the same but she is less watchful. Once Max knows the new person is part of our group and enjoys taking in wafts of their smell and may steal a smell or two. Luna will say hello and share some affection and be done. Important to watch your pup and in greeting people out if you pup is uncomfortable with meeting strangers then as you said it’s important for her to focus on you. You also may want to try meeting some of your friends at the park that is unknown to her and see if it is more of a positive and fun interaction but at the same time making sure her attention is on you and just enjoy the trails together.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
My house is approached by a 100 yard single lane private driveway with a 20 foot natural waterfall under a single lane wooden bridge that drives directly into what would look like my formal driveway as far as parking. There is one streetlight on the other side of the bridge and the property is totally and heavily treed to the point where the streetlight doesn't even shine on my driveway in the Summer.
There are "private road - no cars or pedestrians" and "No Trespassing" signs along the side which turns back 90% of the occasional car that ventures that far. 100% turn back before the bridge, even doing the 360 on the single lane width. Occasionally we have had people come down to take pictures beside the waterfall and that's kinda OK but I've asked them not to tag the location when I see them. I even had a bride and groom arrive to take pictures even further up my property and that was OK too....I guess. Somewhere Harley is in some stranger's wedding photos.

The point is it's private property from a long way back and certainly in my direct driveway. And dark. Very dark.

So I'm 100% fine with my dog(s) alerting to any car that pulls into my driveway or walks across that bridge. The bridge "bumps" and no one gets on the property driving without me knowing. Harley has always done a single bark and Rogan lights up the house. I always get up and see who it is and good boy(s) and that's it. Once I enter the situation, the bark stops. Never more.

What's even better about that is I can settle my dogs to know these people are allowed before someone knocks which would set them off or choose to meet the visitor outside if it's a delivery etc.

It's funny this topic has come up because just this morning because I hear some noise outside the house and couldn't figure out if it was a neighbor's chain saw or it sounded like an ATV. Turns out it was some kids and their tuner cars taking photos. In this case I sure didn't need my dogs to let me know someone is there but it was great having 200 pounds of dog with me as I approached and asked them if they knew they were 10 yards up my driveway. They were polite and all good.

The dogs can also differentiate our cars as well as my parents and my sons. They only go to the door when they arrive and don't bark. They alert to those cars 50 yards away, especially if the windows are open.

Long story short; I like when my dogs alert and I like when they stop (when they're supposed to).

61 - 79 of 79 Posts