German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yes, it sounds like frustration because she's used to getting attention.

Now that she's teething, it's a perfect time to work on engagement using food. I would say no more attention from strangers or strange dogs. They should be like furniture. Focus is on you. 200% engaged with you. You have to work outside threshold, which you described well.

I'll shoot some video tomorrow morning in the park of how I work on this. If you haven't seen it, I have a video of some of this type of work. Pardon the first half of the first video. Terrible camera angle.

Thanks a lot for the info, I've been catching up reading your thread and lots of great stuff in there i appreciate it! Valor seems like such an amazing little pup. Your recall is fantastic with him.

·
Super Moderator
3,903 Posts
Thanks a lot for the info, I've been catching up reading your thread and lots of great stuff in there i appreciate it! Valor seems like such an amazing little pup. Your recall is fantastic with him.
I love this guy!

I do a lot of recall and engagement training. Once you have those things, everything else is easier IMO

·
Super Moderator
3,903 Posts
She’s got that look like her brothers. This looks like a pretty uniform litter. She’s a big girl. You’re going to have a great dog on your hands.
It's striking how much they look alike... Just like Gus

·
Super Moderator
3,903 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
I know I jumped right on the training issue.

She's a beautiful dog. She's going to be a substantial girl. Lots of bone. The confidence she's showing in that last picture says a lot. I love love love a strong bitch.
She’s got the looks and the bloodlines. I think if her health and temperament check out, she’d make a great breeding dog.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Who, Carmen? She has been breeding for like 40 years. Her dogs are amazing!!!!! I talked to her a little bit on the phone today, so I know a little more about how she breeds now.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Who, Carmen? She has been breeding for like 40 years. Her dogs are amazing!!!!! I talked to her a little bit on the phone today, so I know a little more about how she breeds now.
There are breeders that have been around awhile. It’s the continuous lines that most impress me. You follow carmspack dogs back for forever it seems.To maintain a program that long, with your own dogs is definitely special.

·
Super Moderator
3,903 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,903 Posts
She’s got the looks and the bloodlines. I think if her health and temperament check out, she’d make a great breeding dog.
A strong bitch is amazing to me. Reya has the look in those last 2 pictures. She may be a handful :)

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Carmen is incredible. She has followed Gus closely for the past 8 years. She came to most of his training sessions up until about 2 yrs old when my work injuries got in the way.
He is 40yrs of her hard work and careful selection.
Carmen’s pedigree knowledge is beyond incredible, she doesn’t have to look up anything. It’s all in her head.
Carmen and Sheena go back many many years and as Carmen gets older, they decided to co-breed to continue producing quality dogs. Both are incredibly knowledgeable. Carmen and I became close friends, you just can’t ask for more. She introduced me to Linda Shaw many years ago and we also became great friends. Her loss has crushed Carmen.
Reya was my pick female. She was gorgeous, had great personality, fearless and what appeared to be great conformation. The whole litter is incredibly uniform and for a first breeding, so much more than expected. Reya has the looks that I love in a female, very masculine. Not what everyone likes, but I LOVE it.
Reya also has the look that I see often from Gus, very serious and always thinking. If she’s anything like her Sire, you need to be on your toes. David is an incredible source of training suggestions and information. Reach out to him and I’m sure he’d offer any and all help he can.

keep up the great work, I look forward to following her progression so I can decide which combination my Gus puppy will come from. So far, I’m absolutely loving what I see in this breeding.

·
Registered
161 Posts
@ David Winners
I think it would be really helpful if you could post more about how you are working with Valor on exposure and/or socialization with people and dogs. Maybe in Carmspack inbound or a new thread ?
Would probably help new pup owners or people like me who are trying to refresh and improve their training skills while waiting for the new bundle of joy :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
While it is good to try to absorb information, learning to train a dog via a discussion forum is like learning how to drive a car online.
What is wrong with asking someone to share their experiences and what they find is working for them ?
I thought we were all here to share our experience, successes and challenges in order to mutually learn and grow.
@David Winners. I apologize. I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. I just genuinely thought you had something positive and helpful that myself and others might like.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I said "it is a good thing to try to absorb information." Knowing how to apply it just by reading the information leaves a lot to be desired in terms of actual learning.

·
Super Moderator
3,903 Posts
While it is good to try to absorb information, learning to train a dog via a discussion forum is like learning how to drive a car online.
Which is why I almost always recommend that people, particularly when they are experiencing behavioral issues, find a good trainer.

·
Super Moderator
3,903 Posts
What is wrong with asking someone to share their experiences and what they find is working for them ?
I thought we were all here to share our experience, successes and challenges in order to mutually learn and grow.
@David Winners. I apologize. I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. I just genuinely thought you had something positive and helpful that myself and others might like.
No feathers ruffled here. I'm happy to share information and videos.

·
Registered
9,805 Posts
This is the pink collar girl, right?

21 - 40 of 79 Posts