German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She looks great!

how is she doing?
She's doing great! I've found out she has a water obsession so bought her a little pool, she cant get enough. Very well rounded pup, nerves of steel and smart as a whip.

This week we're doing a lot of name recognition and working to keep her attention on me. So far she's taking well.

·
Super Moderator
5,334 Posts
Her brother Valor loves the water as well. I love these pups. So stable. Plenty of everything I want to see and nothing I don't.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Life’s been busy! Reya is doing wonderful. I’ve been back to work and in the process of building a new home so I’ve been off this forum a bit. She’s 4.5 months old and sitting at 47lbs, ~20 inches high. Going through her second fear phase and working on plenty of positive socialization. She’s my camping buddy and loves the outdoors! I’ll post on her personality and training shortly.

We are out Camping right now and I have limited service but will give a further update with pictures on Monday!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Life’s been busy! Reya is doing wonderful. I’ve been back to work and in the process of building a new home so I’ve been off this forum a bit. She’s 4.5 months old and sitting at 47lbs, ~20 inches high. Going through her second fear phase and working on plenty of positive socialization. She’s my camping buddy and loves the outdoors! I’ll post on her personality and training shortly.

We are out Camping right now and I have limited service but will give a further update with pictures on Monday!
Very interesting! Can you expand upon the fear phase instances. Ive had not even a hint of a fear stage -perhaps the opposite.

·
Super Moderator
5,334 Posts
Typically the second fear period is later, around 7-12 months.

I haven't seen any signs of anything like a fear period in Valor. He's been very confident and he's getting some attitude lately.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good point David. I was chalking it up as that but it could be something different. She was wonderful up until approx 15 weeks of age, she started becoming very vocal toward strangers and other dogs on walks. As a puppy we've had her out on trails meeting new people and in department stores saying hello, all positive encounters but all of a sudden she changed seemingly overnight. I could count on one hand the amount of times she barked up until that point so we are currently working through it. Thankfully there are no signs of aggression or any other red flags, when the stranger gets close and I let them meet it's plenty of licks and excitement, same goes to other dogs - Just tends to be oddly vocal all of a sudden, while on leash. We had her off leash/free roaming private land majority of puppy hood so perhaps I haven't socialized her properly with the leash?

There is a man locally who trains the police k9 dogs and since retirement also trains civilian German Shepherds, we are starting some work with him this week which can hopefully give me better insight into where I may be leading her wrong! I have a funny feeling it's a weird phase she's going through but I'd like to get a second opinion. More information the better!

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
Beautiful pup!

How tall are you?... she looks huge in that last pic!

Reactions: Sunsilver

·
Super Moderator
5,334 Posts
Good point David. I was chalking it up as that but it could be something different. She was wonderful up until approx 15 weeks of age, she started becoming very vocal toward strangers and other dogs on walks. As a puppy we've had her out on trails meeting new people and in department stores saying hello, all positive encounters but all of a sudden she changed seemingly overnight. I could count on one hand the amount of times she barked up until that point so we are currently working through it. Thankfully there are no signs of aggression or any other red flags, when the stranger gets close and I let them meet it's plenty of licks and excitement, same goes to other dogs - Just tends to be oddly vocal all of a sudden, while on leash. We had her off leash/free roaming private land majority of puppy hood so perhaps I haven't socialized her properly with the leash?

There is a man locally who trains the police k9 dogs and since retirement also trains civilian German Shepherds, we are starting some work with him this week which can hopefully give me better insight into where I may be leading her wrong! I have a funny feeling it's a weird phase she's going through but I'd like to get a second opinion. More information the better!
Were these meetings actually physical meetings? Strangers making puppy puppy noises and getting kisses and pouring all over her?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Beautiful pup!

How tall are you?... she looks huge in that last pic!
My girlfriend is about 5' 9" or 5' 10"

Were these meetings actually physical meetings? Strangers making puppy puppy noises and getting kisses and pouring all over her?
More or less, the "so cute how old" conversation with some pets and kisses. We've been wondering if it's a sort of attention seeking thing. We also just started sitting at a park and watching from a distance, say around 20-30 yards out with no interactions and the people barking has almost completely stopped and turned into a more aware state where she watches intently but still able to chew her bone and respond to commands/give us her attention which is just what we want.

Though the dogs are still stealing 100% of her attention, she refuses treats no matter how high value and continues to bark. I noticed after increasing distance (~60 yards) she dials back to just watching intently so may start back there next time and slowly work in closer with time.

·
Super Moderator
5,334 Posts
My girlfriend is about 5' 9" or 5' 10"

More or less, the "so cute how old" conversation with some pets and kisses. We've been wondering if it's a sort of attention seeking thing. We also just started sitting at a park and watching from a distance, say around 20-30 yards out with no interactions and the people barking has almost completely stopped and turned into a more aware state where she watches intently but still able to chew her bone and respond to commands/give us her attention which is just what we want.

Though the dogs are still stealing 100% of her attention, she refuses treats no matter how high value and continues to bark. I noticed after increasing distance (~60 yards) she dials back to just watching intently so may start back there next time and slowly work in closer with time.
Yes, it sounds like frustration because she's used to getting attention.

Now that she's teething, it's a perfect time to work on engagement using food. I would say no more attention from strangers or strange dogs. They should be like furniture. Focus is on you. 200% engaged with you. You have to work outside threshold, which you described well.

I'll shoot some video tomorrow morning in the park of how I work on this. If you haven't seen it, I have a video of some of this type of work. Pardon the first half of the first video. Terrible camera angle.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts