German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Please meet Rex. He is 9 months old. 68 pounds. Vet says he is a big dog and will be big. She loves him.

Experienced Trainer says: Working line as back is not sloping.

A friend here says WGSL

Another experienced GSD owner says: "classic plush saffleback showline"

Most agree that he is plush rather than long hair. To note, he still has puppy coat according to trainer and vet!

And I love him a lot!

Thank you for your feedback :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
The shape of his head says German show line to me. They are breeding for heavy, broad heads with an apple domed skull, rather than a straight forehead.

I think he's a handsome boy - has excellent bone, and is not extreme in angulation the way many of the showlines are.

Of course, without a pedigree, all we can do is guess! He could be a mix of different lines, and that's why he doesn't have the roached/sloping back.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Your pup is definitely a long stock coat. Plush isn't really a coat type. It is a term people have made up to describe a thicker coated dog or to avoid having to admit their dog is a long stock. :)

Looks showline-ish, but could be a cross. He should keep much of his darker color too.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
P.S. - I don't know if 'saffleback' was just a typo, but it SHOULD be 'saddleback', which describes the saddle - like markings of many black and tan GSDs. If a dog has more extensive black markings that cover pretty much the entire body, the phrase used is 'blanket back'.

And yeah, a GSD is either a long stock coat or a regular stock coat.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
good old fashioned 1070-1980's , non extreme , "domestic" American lines
can go back into the Reviews - the magazine of the GSDCofAmerica , magazines
of that era.

no pedigree?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
good old fashioned 1070-1980's , non extreme , "domestic" American lines
can go back into the Reviews - the magazine of the GSDCofAmerica , magazines
of that era.

no pedigree?
No pedigree. Re-homed from a horse jockey for horses owned by one of the rulers here. He got the pup from parents who came from the Ukraine.

I did not understand the first part of your post :) Nothing! Please explain.

Cheers

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
P.S. - I don't know if 'saffleback' was just a typo, but it SHOULD be 'saddleback', which describes the saddle - like markings of many black and tan GSDs. If a dog has more extensive black markings that cover pretty much the entire body, the phrase used is 'blanket back'.

And yeah, a GSD is either a long stock coat or a regular stock coat.
Yes, it was a typo :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your pup is definitely a long stock coat. Plush isn't really a coat type. It is a term people have made up to describe a thicker coated dog or to avoid having to admit their dog is a long stock. :)

Looks showline-ish, but could be a cross. He should keep much of his darker color too.
Thanks for your feedback. Is the long coat on the "shorter" side? Coz I have seen pictures of long coats that are quite longer.

He has an undercoat and the trainer and vet says he still has the puppy coat. I am very interested to see if there will be a change in colors and coat length / feel when he sheds it.

Lisa, when you say could be cross. You mean a cross between a showline and working line? It is clear though he is full GSD , right?

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
What she meant was 'good old fashioned 1970s - 1980s non extreme (nothing exaggerated, like angulation of hind legs) American lines.

I think 'Domestic' means the dog is not bred for the show ring. The show dogs of that era had collie-like heads, and it was hard to tell the males from the females, because the heads were so fine boned. I've heard some critics say these dogs were so fine-boned they had feet the size of 50 cent pieces. NOT like your boy at all!

'Can go back into the Reviews - the magazine of the GSDCofAmerica , magazines'
of that era.'

This is referring to the German Shepherd Dog Club of America magazine.

And I still think he looks more like a German show line, because he has such a broad head, and heavy bone structure and nice strong pasterns. American show lines tend to have pasterns that are longer and more angulated, and finer heads, though the heads have improved somewhat since the 1980s -1990s.

Also, the chances of a dog from the Ukraine having American bloodlines are extremely slim.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Thanks for your feedback. Is the long coat on the "shorter" side? Coz I have seen pictures of long coats that are quite longer.

He has an undercoat and the trainer and vet says he still has the puppy coat. I am very interested to see if there will be a change in colors and coat length / feel when he sheds it.

Lisa, when you say could be cross. You mean a cross between a showline and working line? It is clear though he is full GSD , right?

Long stock coats can vary in length. I have seen some with barely any real fringe and fluff to dogs with extremely thick and long coats like a collie.
Mix as in a mixture of lines. Not a mixed breed. :)

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
He doesn't still have his puppy coat. :-( They loose that at around 6 months when the adult coat starts growing in. He's a long stock coat, as you can see the fringe on the back side of his front legs. His coat is still growing in and will not get real long until he is closer to a couple years old. He looks like a blanket back Black and Tan. Might have some show lines in him, but also has some working lines. He doesn't have the extreme angulation in the rear legs like most show lines do.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
He doesn't still have his puppy coat. :-( They loose that at around 6 months when the adult coat starts growing in. He's a long stock coat, as you can see the fringe on the back side of his front legs. His coat is still growing in and will not get real long until he is closer to a couple years old. He looks like a blanket back Black and Tan. Might have some show lines in him, but also has some working lines. He doesn't have the extreme angulation in the rear legs like most show lines do.
Super. Thanks for the feedback and lion look when he gets older :)

Do all of them at 8 months loose puppy coat? What is "blanket"?

Thanks !

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
a major fact that was with held was that the parents were imports from Ukraine .

Sunsilver tried explain a few things -
such as "domestic bred" that means bred in and from North American GSD genetics
not specifically with a focus to produce "show line" or from show line GSD --

so the dog is from "domestic bred" Ukrainian stock which were not intentionally bred
for the show ring , and not for the sport podium - just good all round basic sound dog with
required pre-requisites for permission to breed and register requirements met .
That may include a title , and "a" stamp certifcation of the hips.

He is a nice looking dog .

1 - 20 of 24 Posts