German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had experience with the flea/tick/heartworm/ear mite preventative called Revolution? I usually just use Frontline for fleas and ticks and then use a different heartworm preventative but the German vets here are pretty much referring everyone here to use Revolution. I have heard it's fairly new, so I don't know if I want to go with it or not. Anyone have any advice?

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Sorry

I use Advantix on my pooches and interceptor for heartworm

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
We used Revolution on Max when we first took him in case of Demodex (sp?) mange, but are going back to our routine of Frontline and seperate heartworm meds.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Revolution is my favorite when it comes to application. In two hours it is dry and you can bath your dog. Frontline is sooo greasy and stays there for a week!

With Revolution you have to treat for Tape Worm seperatedly as it doesn't cover those. Revolution does not work as well in regards to ticks as Frontline either. The company gives free tape worm tablets for cats along with the purchase but not for dogs

So all that being said, Revolution is used on the cats here and Frontline Plus for the dogs along with Heartgard Plus in the Spring to Fall months. Then if needed I use Revolution for parasites the rest of the year.

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
I use revolution and have had no problems. We don't have a flea problem around here so I cant say how effective it is for fleas. I get it for about $12 a dose which to me is less costly than applying a heartworm and then a flea/tick preventative.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Our rescue came to us with sarcoptic mites and this blog told us that Revolution would work on them too. We confirmed it with our vet but are waiting to see if the current Rx will work first. This must be an all purpose application for multiple problems with dogs.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
I use revolution, covers heartworm for six weeks so that is how often I use it. Dogs that do get demodex get Advantage Multi, as Revolution takes out sarcoptic mange mites and ear mites but is not effective against demodex mange mights.

So far no problems. Advantage Multi is more globby, glutany and it is hard to be neat with it. Revolution is thinner, goes on and works good. I never see a flea ever. I have never seen a tick either though it is not supposed to work against ticks.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Originally Posted By: Weber1bbut are going back to our routine of Frontline and seperate heartworm meds.
this is my preference as well. i dont want to medicate for everything year round when fleas and ticks are not an issue year round (well, in michigan, anyway)

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
I use the revolution only in the summer months, nothing in the dead of winter, and heartguard before and after flea season, March and October.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts