German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since I was asked to post a review of my new gloves http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/146928-how-your-black-friday.html, I thought it would be a good topic for a new thread. I HATE being cold and I am sure I am not the only one. What are your favorite products to fight the cold?

I have the philosophy of buying quality so you don't have to keep replacing. Many of these items I bought on clearance or at outlet stores, but included links to where they are currently sold just for reference.

1. Bogs Boots- These are my secret weapon. They are super comfy, water proof, and wind proof. Toe warmers in these babies last for more than 8 hours. This isn't the pattern that I have, but it is the same boot. classic mid paisley gry
  2. Winter Silks- Probably the most important for outdoor group dog training in cold weather, because during the times when you really move around, you can end up sweating. These wick away the sweat and prevent you from freezing when you are watching everyone else. WinterSilks.com: Silk long underwear, apparel and accessories to keep you naturally cool and comfortable
  3. Seirus Hyperlite All-Weather Gloves - These gloves keep out the wind and are water resistant. They are thin enough that you can still handle a leash, tracking articles, and larger treats. Highly recommend using glove liners under 40 degrees. http://www.rei.com/product/743107 (Added: Wore them all last winter. Just had to replace a lost pair)
  4. The North Face Glove Liners- Just picked these up yesterday. LOVE them. They are like the cheapy stretch gloves, but made with a bamboo fiber that makes them anti-microbial and super soft. Definite plus for me since I use only the liner when dropping tracking treats. http://www.rei.com/product/770088
  5. Seirus Fleece Balaclava- I picked this particular one because I can't stand anything tight on my neck. It has rounded tails that you can tuck in your coat and a face piece that you can either wear over your nose or tuck in. It has pull straps for you to tighten it to your face with just the eyes exposed. Particularly nice because cold air is brutal on the asthma sometimes. The only drawback is that it is completely geeky looking. http://www.rei.com/product/725706
  6. Smartwool Socks- Love, love, love these. They are super soft, have padded soles, are naturally anti-microbial, won't shrink, don't itch, and they are really cute. I will definitely buy more of these. http://www.rei.com/product/741850
  7. REI Silk One Liner Socks- Really soft and stretchy. Just comfy to have an extra layer. http://www.rei.com/product/627663
  8. Columbia coat with fleece liner- Water and wind proof but thin enough to move around. Hood can be detached. (no link available)

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
insulation and gore-tex for boots and gloves. thermal
under wear. i buy a lot of things from Sierra Trading Post,
Campmor and L.L. Bean.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I am going to second the LOVE on the Smartwool socks, best things EVER!!!

I can't get Bogs Boots or Muck Boots because my feet are small and my calves are big so I can't find a size that would work and allow me to tuck my pants into the boots. I instead wear Asolo Hiking Boots and Gaiters. I used this combo for the year and a half I was in SAR and outside ALL the time in all kinds of terrain and conditions and they did not fail me, even in the middle of winter.

I really like this thread and I'm psyched about the other stuff you recommended, I am a gear JUNKY! :)

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
I'm a very big fan of North Face TKA 100 fleece pants. I wear them as sweat pants in the house when it's cold and also underneath my Gortex outside when I go out with the dogs to train or hike in the winter.

If you don't like to go with tall boots, gaiters are a good alternative to go with a sturdy, waterproof ankle-height kind of boot. I have the EMS Summit Gaiters and like them quite a bit.

As for underthings, I have a TON of the military silk weights. You can usually get them really cheap and they're nice to wear underneath things and keep you warm. Same with the military "waffle" fleece. You can get them in tan and black, so they go with everything. :D

My favorite winter jacket is an older style Massif Mountain Gear Elements jacket, back when they did them with two zippered chest pockets and no sleeve pockets. It's very comfortable, stretchy, windproof. Really nice jacket. (And I paid $8 for it at the thrift store, no less - they're like $400 new!)

I also have Serious gloves but not the same ones Ruthie has. I usually don't need liners in mine. (I don't recall what model they are.) For warmer days, I have a set of fleece Marmot gloves and a set of Hatch police gloves. The latter do well at stopping wind but are not terribly warm.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
I have several pairs of Smartwool socks but I don't like them for boot socks, sorry. They're nice and breathable, but I have arthritis in one of my ankles which swells up frequently, and they're just too constricting and uncomfortable over that ankle.

I'm a HUGE fan of Thorlo boot socks, however. They are the least constricting boots socks I've found, not terribly expensive, and very comfortable. They come in mid-calf and over-calf lengths, too.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
This is great! I was wondering how to stay warm and take the dogs out. I can never find gloves to keep my fingers warm that are not so bulky. I do have a Columbia coat, it is a 4 in one and they really do keep the wind off.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I have muckboots for tracking/training, the smartwool socks combo keep my feet from freezing.
I wear layers of insulated underwear, underarmor, and then a lightweight rain/windcoat over that. With my training vest over that, so far my torso stays warm.
I'll wear snowpants too...my main body parts that freeze are my hands!
I have arthritis in both so cold affects them immediately. I'll look into the gloves you linked Amy. Thanks for sharing, keep it coming!!!

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I work(my job) in extreme winter condition and over the year I ve used different clothing. What works best for me is a good pair of thermal underwear (not cheap Wall mart brands) ,thermal socks over top of that fleece long sleeve shirt and pants that are snug to my body with Baffin insulated rubber boot rated for -120C. On milder days I wear a spring coat and pants and colder days I wear and parka and snow pants

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
I have a layers protocol:

From 0 Celsius to -10: one pair of pants, and one extra layer (sweater/sweatshirt) under a jacket (I get too hot in winter coats). Fleece/knit gloves.

-10 to -20 Celsius: Two pair of pants and two layers under jacket.

-20 to -30 Celsius: Three pair of pants (big baggy sweats work great for the top layer), and a fleece jacket over two sweaters and a wind-breaker jacket.

Colder than -30: Ski gloves. Real winter boots instead of rubber boots. Same layers as above. Heck, it's gonna be cold regardless!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FG167 said:
I can't get Bogs Boots or Muck Boots because my feet are small and my calves are big so I can't find a size that would work and allow me to tuck my pants into the boots.
Me too! I was a cheerleader all through school, so even when I was skinny I had big claves. Now that I am overweight, it is even worse. The Bogs that I have end before the widest part of the calf, plus they are stretchy. I can still get a pair of sweats and winter silks tucked in even with the long socks. I can't wear the tall ones. :(

Awesome thread-I also like those hand and feet warmers that you can buy in packages
Me too! I always have hand warmers in my pockets!

Castlemaid said:
I have a layers protocol:

From 0 Celsius to -10: one pair of pants, and one extra layer (sweater/sweatshirt) under a jacket (I get too hot in winter coats). Fleece/knit gloves.

-10 to -20 Celsius: Two pair of pants and two layers under jacket.

-20 to -30 Celsius: Three pair of pants (big baggy sweats work great for the top layer), and a fleece jacket over two sweaters and a wind-breaker jacket.

Colder than -30: Ski gloves. Real winter boots instead of rubber boots. Same layers as above. Heck, it's gonna be cold regardless!
Today 09:09 AM
Wow, you must have really thick blood living up there in the cold and snowy North!

I also have a layering protocol, but it starts at a much higher temp and ends about two steps higher. Yesterday, it was only 25F (-4) and I was in 5 layers on top and 4 on the bottom. :cool:

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I like gear that serves multiple functions. So I love my fleece-lined running tights by Pearl Izumi. I can wear them under wind pants to run in, or under snowboarding pants for longterm outdoor exposure. If it's wicked cold, I add a pair of fleece pants over top the tights and under the snow pants.

I cannot keep my feet warm no matter what I do, unless I am running. So I try to run everywhere in the winter. I use traction control devices called Stabilicers on my regular running shoes and wool socks.

I love my Gore Tex biking jacket so much I wear it for everything. It's got a good high collar to keep wind out, a hood, and armpit zips for when I overheat. I love fleece for keeping warm. I layer up with a moisture-wicking bottom layer, fleece with a high button collar, and my trusty Gore Tex jacket. Add on a fleece neck gaiter, Smartwool hat, and fleece balaclava and I'm usually too warm. Except for my feet. :)

All time best way to keep my hands warm is REI ski mittens, not gloves. I'll wear a super thin stretchy glove, and those mittens and my hands are never too cold.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Yesterday, it was only 25F (-4) and I was in 5 layers on top and 4 on the bottom. :cool:
It was 28F here yesterday. I wore my North Face fleece sweat bottoms, a long-sleeve cotton T-shirt, an Under Armour hoodie, fleece gloves, a fleece hat, and a pair of Army boots to take the dogs out. XD

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I am a Smartwool peddler. I have socks, short sleeve shirts, long sleeve shirts, and the underlayer pants. I don't think anything beats it for a base layer. Dries quickly and never starts to stink up like the synthetic fabrics. Expensive, yes, but worth it. Silk is my second favorite base layer and I have pants and shirts in that as well (so old I have no idea what the brand is anymore).

This is my new favorite for under my shell:
Columbia Sportswear | Women's Kaleidaslope Jacket
I love the lightness and compactibility of down, but don't like that you have to be so careful about getting it wet. This jacket serious has the "loft" of down and is super light, but is synthetic. The Omni Heat really is super warm! The only downside is that if you are hiking through a lot of thickets/branches the shell of it is pretty soft so it doesn't hold up well to getting snagged.

I usually just wear my Asolo hiking boots year round, although I really want the Ugg Adirondack winter boots that are mid-calf height (yes, I know--UGGS :p )

Hmmm. I have so much stuff that I don't even know where else to start with my crazy layering system. But those are the things that stick out in the mind the most right now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts