German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has dawned on me recently, after decades of being a dog owner, that a GSD does NOT need another dog to keep him/her company. My present female is totally and absolutely devoted to ME. My other small dog, a Chinese Crested Dog, however, would benefit from a play pal (after a couple more years). Very interesting revelation!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I am seeing the same thing with mine. He just wants to be with me at all times. He could care less about other dogs and personally I am overprotective with him and other dogs as I would be devastated if he ever bit another dog. He doesn't ever show aggression but I have only had him 4 weeks so I am being super cautious until I learn about him more.

I do know that he doesn't like young children running up to him as they all want to pet him so I just let them know that he prefers to not be petted. He has always liked adults and feels more comfortable around them.

·
4,516 Posts
It depends on the dog. Our boy wanted attention from other dogs. My gal not so much. But they are best buddies. They can play games in the yard and run at speeds together that I cannot match.
Would either be happy having been Only Dog? Absolutely.

My gal is not fond of children either. My boy, he doesn't mind them if one of us are next to him. He knows that we'll keep them from hurting him. My gal still needs to learn that.

·
Registered
111 Posts
It depends on the dog, and it depends on their companion. My heeler mix and GSD tend to ignore each other; but the heeler mix and Lab are inseparable, and the GSD absolutely loves running around with the Lab also. I tend to think my Lab doesn't need people to be happy, but she does need dogs. Which is very silly... if people weren't around, who would dispense her food? ;)

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, each dog is different! So far, my Cassi is pleased with having me as her BFF. I think my crested, Ianto, might like a little bud to romp with.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I have always had multiple dogs....only once was there a single one when I had young children and one of my dogs passed from age. It was ok at the time, as my plate was full. But having more than one is normal for me. I don't know how it would be with just one again.

My dogs all get along fairly well, though I am now in a stage of keeping my younger male managed more about his freedom with the others.

When you have a 'working partner' and retire that partner for a new one, the dynamics are going to change.

I have my heart dog, he is the one I want to spend most of my time with as he is so in tune to me and my whole being. I don't think he ever needed another dog to feel 'whole'. He has always been into me for whatever, pushing a toy into me, or just keeping that one eye open on me.

Hard to transition from one to another, and it hasn't been fair to my younger dog. So now younger boy is getting some individual bonding finally. Younger dog wants to please the older dog, submits constantly and idolizes him. It isn't good for his confidence. Or good for our own training, bonding.

I know it is harder on me than the dogs, their emotions are not as strong as the human ones.
One thing that has been a blessing is how the older dogs take to a puppy, and teach the pup things that we can't.
I love watching dogs interact. It was hilarious last week when Gambit did a flyby and stole a valued toy from Onyx and Karlo as they were chilling on the deck. They never saw it coming.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Some breeds of dogs are more "doggy" than GSDs, like hounds or some hunting dogs, they are more focused on other dogs or game then humans. GSDs I'd like to think of as very people or rather person oriented. There are always exceptions but generally I've found this to be true.

My husband and I always take our dogs with us when working. His Springer Spaniel is very bonded to him but after 5 minutes of working she is off missing the rest of the day chasing something or visiting the neighbor's dogs. Ends up back at home when she is done doing what she wants, usually at dinner or lunch time. She could care less what her owner is doing at that point. My GSD on the other hand is only concerned with what I'm doing and would never run off. She always has her eyes glued to me and wants to interact with whatever I am doing.

·
Registered
836 Posts
My GSD on the other hand is only concerned with what I'm doing and would never run off. She always has her eyes glued to me and wants to interact with whatever I am doing.
So true. Kona would never dare leave. If the gate were left open and she was let out of the house to do her business, she would simply walk back into the house with not a care in the world that she could go explore. Her humans were inside and that's what mattered.

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
I think there could be no argument nothing more important to a German shepherd is their people. I always feel like the German shepherds become attached to your soul like in the movie golden compass. Max is my shadow and I swear he can sense what I'm feeling. I think he thinks his job is much like queens guard-lol! I remember I fell twice a few months ago - he came rushing to my side very concerned licking my face thinking that would help-lol! With that though all our dogs get along and Max and Luna have tons of fun together. I enjoy watching them and their nutty ways. I enjoy watching Luna wanting to overpower Max and her frustrations sometimes he lets her - he will roll onto his back and she will sit on top of his chest /stomach area as happy as can be thinking she got him as they play bite the face. Our chihuahua can't be bothered with them but the gsds do love him. If the gsds are getting to much attention I feel eyes burnings into my back and turn around and topper letting me know it his turn. They all want to be number 1. I make sure they are. Instead of one German shepherd forever lying at my feet I have two and a chihuahua laying in my lap. I make sure they all get alone time just like the kids lol!

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I have always had more than one dog. I love that they can exercise each other. Enya is out right now with Cap, the Border Collie and they are racing full speed all around, chasing each other, grabbing a stick and playing keep away. Enya is good with kids. At the Bass Fishing Tournament we were at on Saturday (fundraiser) and a little boy wanted to pet another GSD who wasn't too sure of the noise and crowd. They were doing raffles and the loudspeaker was going nonstop for hours, tons of people. We were off to the side, so not in the middle of the crowd, but could see them. Enya walked up to the boy stopping about a foot away, sensing the boys nervousness when he saw her. She put her head out towards him and waited. He slowly reached out a hand and she licked him. She's not a licker. Soon he was petting her and then the other GSD walked over that he wanted to pet and he petted both of them. Normally she's a bit over-enthusiastic with kids, so I was thrilled with her being able to read this young man and to go slowly with him.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
When I adopted my old male, my female had been an only dog, my only dog. She had also been bullied at communal dog walking areas and was becoming a little fearful of certain dogs in certain situations. She just wasn't quite herself anymore. Before that she had been so carefree, so socially appropriate, enjoyed other dogs so much.

My male had a real gift with dogs, and he did what he did with all of them with her. He made her feel great, and he was always such a steady presence, and going through the world alongside him, her issues just evaporated. It was therapeutic for her. That male was a dog who would be happy living in a real pack. He enjoyed other dogs, knew just how to handle them.

My female I honestly think, except for what he did for her, would have always been happier as an only dog. I'm the only thing she really cares about. She wants to be with me, serve me, she wants all my attention, me and her were peas and carrots and still would be if it were up to her.

She has a slightly nasty streak when she loses her temper with another dog and the best she has ever been was when my old male was here and he sort of kept her in line. A bigger, more confident male kind of makes her more stable. Kind of like how the hens bicker if the rooster isn't there to break it up.

I think my young male would enjoy living with another dog who enjoyed him. He LOVED my old male, I think he thought that was his daddy, and he acted like it. My female basically tolerates him. She basically thinks most other dogs are stupid and she is way smarter and more special lol.

My first GSD was a male who was happy being an only dog and didn't particularly enjoy meeting or playing with other dogs. He was a little scrappy with other males. He was my only dog and I think he liked it that way.

So I guess it depends on the dog, depends on the relationship with the people. My old male enjoyed being the pack patriarch. He was firm and fair and good. He only disciplined the other dogs if I failed to do my job lol. He could make a point and he even put my crazy little bitch in line without ever breaking her skin, which I can't say for her fighting style. I guess the bottom line is we'd all be better off if he could just come back :frown2:

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
When I got my first GSD I lived on a lake. No fences anywhere and all the dogs in the neighborhood got along well, didn't stray very content to stay in their yards, play in the water and chill on the deck. If we visited each other, dogs would tag along, no territory issues, or fights.
We added a stray border collie that had never been in a house, he had to be carried in the house due to his fear of buildings. My male was not great with him at first, but then they became best friends.
After awhile, they began to run to the nearby cattle farm where they decided herding was their job. I had to then contain them. We ended up rehoming the border collie to my husbands co-worker.
Even when I was a kid(lived on a lake then too), all the dogs were 'neighborhood dogs' and seldom was there any problem, dogs didn't get hit by cars, they didn't have oops litters, this was before spay/neuter was the norm. Dogs were social and stable. We had collies, Irish setters, cocker spaniels, Pekinese, and a few mixes in the neighborhood. No GSD's however until my mom remarried and my step-dad had two.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts