German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last month, my wife went on vacation for about 4 days. Kanan (20 mo/old GSD male) and I were alone the whole time. When she returned he was happy to see her, but when she bent down to hug him he let off a low growl. His ears were up and he wasn't showing teeth, and he had kissed her and did his normal "hello" routine when either of us come into the house. I thought he was just angry at her leaving, but when I went to comfort him, he did it to me too. We told him "no" sternly, and in about 2 minutes the behavior had ceased.

This past weekend I left for 6 days, and when I returned I was greeted with kisses and hugs and jumping.... and when I bent down to hug him I got the growl too. Another stern reprimand or 2 stopped it.

My question is, is he voicing some type of displeasure that one of us left him? Or is he trying to re-order the pack??

·
Registered
55 Posts
How do you "hug" him? Some dogs see that as dominance and do not like it. Especially when you are above the dog and much higher then he is. But there could be many other explanations.

·
Registered
190 Posts
You didn't bring him home a gift from your trip, dad and mom!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do you "hug" him? Some dogs see that as dominance and do not like it. Especially when you are above the dog and much higher then he is. But there could be many other explanations.
I hug him the same way every time. Standing over him & bend down with one arm around his chest & under his neck, & the other behind his front legs wrapped around his ribs. Nothing too tight, & I've been doing it to him ever since I brought him home at 10 weeks old. There has never been an issue until now. Even after this incident I've bent down & given him a hug & he's very receptive & looks up to lick me

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Maybe you had a different scent than usual as you had been to places you normally don't go and he was uncomfortable when you were above him hugging him with these strange scents. Just a speculation of course!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts