German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Always good to watch you two work!

I wonder if that rear up/HOP is more prevalent in Black dogs LOL! Nyx used to hop up pivoting from a front to a heel, occasionally even punching me in the solar plexus when really amped up. She still does a whine and hold on the sliding door when she wants to go outside! And always does a rear up or two when I grab her leash...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
There's variations and people adapt with different dogs, but the general idea is that its a trade. You bring me that, and I'll give you this. And the "this" is something the dog likes better then the "that".

That is pretty much what I use to add in the excitement and make the dog happier to perform.. I just haven't had success using it to teach the hold and finish. Once i get that part down and i get get them to pick it up off the ground, I move to this. It ends up taking about a week to get a reliable retrieve for me usually.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
That is pretty much what I use to add in the excitement and make the dog happier to perform.. I just haven't had success using it to teach the hold and finish. Once i get that part down and i get get them to pick it up off the ground, I move to this. It ends up taking about a week to get a reliable retrieve for me usually.
The last two dogs, I worked hold with a dowel and played retrieving with them separate like Ivan's retrieve video. A lot of separate pieces, but by the time I was doing any of this he already understood coming front meant the ball would come from that place. Putting things together goes pretty quick, but I don't think I got a lot done in just a week, Lol.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts