German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Personally, I HATE them, you don't have complete control of your dog and I've seen those dang things snap with a quick jerk....

I took Killian to petsmarts today, always an adventure *eye roll*, I love taking him there to experience things and to learn.... However, there was a STUNNING long haired black and red GSD there that was 4 months old, the owner had her on a retractable leash....

I had Killian in a sit since I was talking to my girlfriend I ran into.... so that GSD was in a sit too, then catches an eye of Kil, and all of a sudden it takes a BOLTED run towards Killian, I step in front of him, with a treat at his nose to keep his attention, the leash snaps out of her hand, comes barreling behind the dog, and the pup runs around me and literally, and I'm not exagerating, ATTACKS Killian. I was FLOORED. Had to grab their dog, my friend Judy took Killians leash, walked him away. I asked why she is so agressive. They say she has always been that way with "bigger dogs"......

*sigh*

I hate retractable leashes, and misbehaved dogs, it's not the dogs fault, it's yours....... :mad::mad::mad:

-Thank you, I'll step off my soapbox now....

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I hated them before I had dogs. I used to bicycle to work in Seattle and people would walk their pocket dogs along the bike trail with those. The owner would be on one side and the dog across on the other side, with the stupid leash in my way. Never a "sorry" from an owner for not getting out of the way of me on my bicycle.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I had Luna at the vet when a little dog came in the door and around the corner and started jumping up in Luna's face. It was about 20 feet ahead of its owner, on a retractable leash. The owner finally comes around the corner and starts freaking out, screaming and asking if Luna bites. Um... maybe you should've thought of that before you decided to let your dog enter 20 feet ahead of you!

·
Registered
940 Posts
I've always hated retractable leashes - they drive me nuts for the same reasons all of you mentioned - namely lack of control over the animal when it's needed most.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
All the stupid things do is allow the dog to walk the owner, duh! I have one but the only time I ever used it was on vacation at a cabin. I used it on our dog when we were in the yard. Never to walk though.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All the stupid things do is allow the dog to walk the owner, duh! I have one but the only time I ever used it was on vacation at a cabin. I used it on our dog when we were in the yard. Never to walk though.
See I don't mind them having free run with one, like at a park, or when your at the beach.... but man, there are FEW times when those really are acceptable... :-[

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
I have one and I only use when we're at the lake. This way Gunner can go in the water (of which he's not a huge fan yet) and get a little further out and still be on a leash.
Otherwise...NO WAY!

I've had instances at Petsmart as well. We were in one aisle and I was looking at something and over in the next aisle I can hear a little dog just yapping it's fool head off. Next thing I know, this dog "appears" in my aisle, on a retractable and so far from it's owner that the dog is in my aisle and the owner is off in the next. It startled Gunner and he immediately broke his sit. The dog was yapping like mad and getting closer. Gunner lets out a loud bark and the owner finally appears and is now retracting the leash. I had control of Gunner and back into a sit. The lady proceeds to tell me that I shouldn't have an aggressive dog in here. :shocked:
I couldn't help but roll my eyes at her. The manager, who knew me well from working with Gunner in there, walks over, puts her hand out to Gunner, he sniffs, wags his tail and happily took a treat from her.
The manager tells the lady that she knows Gunner and he isn't aggressive. Then proceeded to tell the lady that just because she has a retractable leash doesn't mean she should let the dog roam where it pleased. :rofl:

People don't think!

·
5,627 Posts
As usual, it's not the equipment that is the problem, it is the owner that doesn't know how to use the equipment properly.

Retractable leashes have their time and place neither of which is on a crowded sidewalk or inside a store. I love my retractable leashes for late night walks when we won't run into anyone or walks through the woods when I want to give them a little more freedom but I use a 6 foot lead with a traffic handle when we are likely to run into people.

·
Registered
606 Posts
As usual, it's not the equipment that is the problem, it is the owner that doesn't know how to use the equipment properly.

Retractable leashes have their time and place neither of which is on a crowded sidewalk or inside a store. I love my retractable leashes for late night walks when we won't run into anyone or walks through the woods when I want to give them a little more freedom but I use a 6 foot lead with a traffic handle when we are likely to run into people.
Ditto :)

Retractable leashes were designed for water work in mind. It allowed dogs to swim but kept the leash tight so it didn't get caught on items under the water.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Don't blame the equipment for the stupidity of the user. I have always used a retractable leash. But I have used it with great care. Have been using one for 15 years. Unless you are a complete boob there is no excuse for not using it properly. You can lock it to any length with a simple pop of the thumb. I find that the grip fits my hand and if the dog does pull then I am more comfortable holding her than with a strap leash. When there is traffic or people nearby I can lock it to 3,4,5, or 6 feet.... or any length. When I am at a park I can give her more, but not complete, freedom. The idea is to use your brain and anticipate situations. Strap leashes are difficult to keep off the ground and to keep from getting entangled. Any tool is not a tool if the user doesn't know how to use it.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Retractable leashes suck when used by people that don't use them responsibly. However, I think they could be beneficial for recall training, if you get a good, strong one. We have a 20 ft. leash that's kind of a pain, because the dog gets tangled in it and all sorts of other things....

But I agree, for the most part, I hate the things too. Two times, I have had dogs on retractable leashes run out in front of my car while they were on a walk.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Like people said they have their time and place. I have one I use when I take Dharma hiking the trails at the nearby civil war battlefields. It allows her more freedom to roam but still give me control since I don't trust her off leash yet. I would never dream of using it in Petsmart or in the neighborhood though.

·
Registered
495 Posts
We made a strap out of an old martingale collar and a click flat collar for our retractable. You slip your hand through the strap and if the dog suddenly pulls leash out of your hand, the handle of the retractable is still attached to you.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I use a flexi all the time with no problems... They have a lock. They can be locked from nothing to (I think?) 16 feet. I don't see how one would be worse off than a regular 6 foot leash and a dog they can't control.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Personally, I HATE them, you don't have complete control of your dog and I've seen those dang things snap with a quick jerk......
Amen to that . . .

Retractable leashes have their uses but controlling a dog in a crowded pet store is not one of them! I actually have 2 large/lengthy retractable leashes that I use when I let my dogs out the front door in the morning. The dogs can go pretty far into the yard while I stay on the sidewalk. Even then I have to be careful to keep the brake on when we first walk outside . . . I learned this the hard way years ago when Rex saw a rabbit before I did. He had pulled most of the leash before I could react and I believe I did a face plant in the front yard. :blush:

That is the ONLY time/place/way I use a retractable leash!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts