German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've made a decision. I'm retiring Indra. Her PF's have gotten worse. She went from one to four fistulas. She's happy to work, doesn't show pain but she's just not healthy and I'm concentrating on a dog that has a horrible, painful disease. Just because she doesn't show any pain, doesn't mean she doesn't feel pain.

Her career is over before it has even begun. I will still take her out for fun but I'm not training towards certification any longer. I have two healthy dogs that I can concentrate on. She will be spoiled rotten until the day I have to let her go.

We've spent all day together. She accompanied me picking up two fosters. We had a blast together but I've been thinking a lot about her condition and I think, at this point, it's best to retire her.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Sorry to see this Sandra. I know you're doing what's best for her. I can't imagine how hard it is to retire her because she really does have such promise. Some choices are just hard. Best thing ever though.... she is loved. That's what matters most.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I've made a decision. I'm retiring Indra. Her PF's have gotten worse. She went from one to four fistulas. She's happy to work, doesn't show pain but she's just not healthy and I'm concentrating on a dog that has a horrible, painful disease. Just because she doesn't show any pain, doesn't mean she doesn't feel pain.

Her career is over before it has even begun. I will still take her out for fun but I'm not training towards certification any longer. I have two healthy dogs that I can concentrate on. She will be spoiled rotten until the day I have to let her go.

We've spent all day together. She accompanied me picking up two fosters. We had a blast together but I've been thinking a lot about her condition and I think, at this point, it's best to retire her.
What KZ said. Sorry to hear this..I'm not familiar with your dogs condition, is it something that can be managed with medication so that her 'retirement' can be more like a hiatus??..

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From everything I've read so far, most of the time Surgeries are not successful and they come back. So I'm not going to put her through it. Especially since it seems to be autoimune.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
They say it is not the current approach. There is a yahoo group PF-L where I would go.

I did have successful surgery with Toby by a doctor in Harrisonburg VA (A 6+ hour drive for me) and he was very reasonable compared to the costs of other far less complicated surgeries, but even so it is an expensive surgery. He actually dissected out all the tracts. Toby was 7, he died at 11 from hemangiosarcma without any recurrence.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear this. PF's are just not fair and I hate the our breed is high on the list of getting them.

I am hoping being retired and just chilling out and not working she will be calm and stress free and this will result in a better well being for her hopefully helping the PF's.

Yes, are you on the yahoo group?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
What happend to mrs.k why is she now banned??????

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
She was banned over a year ago. The answer is in her last post.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I havent been active for a really long time. I remember her and her beautiful dogs. :( sad it came down to her being banned

1 - 11 of 11 Posts