German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I REALLY wish i could take him. he sounds like an amazing dog but if he has issues with other dogs (animals), thats a problem. I honestly hope he finds a good loving indoor home to play the rest of his days with.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Maybe someone could direct him to the local german shepherd rescue site so the dog can be listed as an owner give up if they have an area on thier site for that. MAGSR has an area on thier site for this and the dogs stay with thier owners until they get a new owner. He may also want to check with the local FOP lodge there may be an officer there who would love such a nice dog and be familier with k-9 officers.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I have decided to try to adopt Aslan.

He has been here since Sunday and I am trying to slowly socialize him with my 14mo female, Peaches. I am working extremely slowly to introduce them to each other. Things are looking promising and I am well aware of the problems that can arise. Aslan is very well behaved and has adapted even better than expected to being an inside dog. His manners are exceptional and he is not dominant. They both just ignore my soon to be 21 year old cockatiel, Kugel, which is a blessing. Kugel is just background noise to both of them and they don’t react at all to his vocalizations or movement.

Aslan will now lay next to Peaches in her crate by himself and this is a great relief. Like I said I will take this very slow and use extreme care in working with them together. Aslan is great when taken out for a walk and is friendly with everyone he meets and ignores other dogs. He is nonreactive to new situations and has been wonderful everywhere he has gone. I pray that our two shepherds will learn to get along fine, and I am setting firm boundaries for their relationship. I am not a stranger to dog aggression and know the pitfalls that may come. Peaches is friendly with other dogs and she plays nicely with our neighbor’s dog and other shepherds. She is only bitch aggressive to females her own age.

I don’t regret this choice. Aslan is a wonderful shepherd that deserves a great home. If I could have found a better home we would have, but there have been no qualified people to look at adopting him. So far Aslan has been an easy dog to work with and the bond he is forming with me is exceeding my expectations. Jeff’s children are sad that he has left, but his son breaks out with a rash even with casual contact. Aslan is great with children and they don’t faze him.

I posted a few pictures on the “Pictures! Pictures! Pictures!” section of Aslan and Peaches under the posting heading Peaches.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I have decided to try to adopt Aslan.

He has been here since Sunday and I am trying to slowly socialize him with my 14mo female, Peaches. I am working extremely slowly to introduce them to each other. Things are looking promising and I am well aware of the problems that can arise. Aslan is very well behaved and has adapted even better than expected to being an inside dog. His manners are exceptional and he is not dominant. They both just ignore my soon to be 21 year old cockatiel, Kugel, which is a blessing. Kugel is just background noise to both of them and they don’t react at all to his vocalizations or movement.

Aslan will now lay next to Peaches in her crate by himself and this is a great relief. Like I said I will take this very slow and use extreme care in working with them together. Aslan is great when taken out for a walk and is friendly with everyone he meets and ignores other dogs. He is nonreactive to new situations and has been wonderful everywhere he has gone. I pray that our two shepherds will learn to get along fine, and I am setting firm boundaries for their relationship. I am not a stranger to dog aggression and know the pitfalls that may come. Peaches is friendly with other dogs and she plays nicely with our neighbor’s dog and other shepherds. She is only bitch aggressive to females her own age.

I don’t regret this choice. Aslan is a wonderful shepherd that deserves a great home. If I could have found a better home we would have, but there have been no qualified people to look at adopting him. So far Aslan has been an easy dog to work with and the bond he is forming with me is exceeding my expectations. Jeff’s children are sad that he has left, but his son breaks out with a rash even with casual contact. Aslan is great with children and they don’t faze him.

I posted a few pictures on the “Pictures! Pictures! Pictures!” section of Aslan and Peaches under the posting heading Peaches.
This is great news! Aslan sounds like a great dog!

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Congratulations pache11! And thank you for opening your heart to this very nice guy. Wishing you all a long and happy life together........
BTW the pics are great!

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge :angel:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Aslan has started to lick Peaches ear when she is lying in her cage. Now it is Peaches that is more unsure and a bit jealous. She doesn't mind when he licks her ear, but is unsure on the face to face through the cage. He has barked pretty loudly before and unsettled her a bit when he arrived. Looking more positive and still taking things slow! Kugel's old cage is now in his new cage and it is sturdy enough to withstand more then just a few bumps or a bit of curiosity. They still don't pay him any attention inside either of the cages.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Aslan has started to lick Peaches ear when she is lying in her cage. Now it is Peaches that is more unsure and a bit jealous. She doesn't mind when he licks her ear, but is unsure on the face to face through the cage. He has barked pretty loudly before and unsettled her a bit when he arrived. Looking more positive and still taking things slow! Kugel's old cage is now in his new cage and it is sturdy enough to withstand more then just a few bumps or a bit of curiosity. They still don't pay him any attention inside either of the cages.
'way to go Kugel!! And I like his Fort Knox accommodations..... you are doing a great job with introductions - it does take time, but slow and sure is absolutely the way to go.

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge :angel:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Today! This is their 1st face to face encounter. I kept it short and sweet. Aslan is trying so hard to win her over. Both can be a bit excitable, so keeping them both in a down and controlling the excitement is working well. Peaches is still just a 15mo old female and she is learning better impulse control.

Yesterday, I brought Aslan to Gander Mountain in Joliet, Illinois where Danny from Save-A-Vet had set up a booth. He brought Nero, a Military Working Dog that was injured in service. I called Danny that morning and asked if Aslan would be welcome at the event. He agreed and Aslan behaved extremely well and was not getting excited when Nero was there. Danny asked if we could take both outside and see if both could be introduced and this went beyond all my expectations as both were well behaved and just sniffed each other and then relaxed. Nero is neutered and Aslan and Nero did well on this encounter. Aslan is friendly with everyone and the Girl Scouts were selling cookies outside the store. He was center of attention in the troop and they all really liked him. They sold dog cookies as well and donated over $160 to Save-A-Vet. Aslan was there for about 4 hours and greeted everyone who wanted to meet him. He was a very contented boy and slept on the hour ride home. I knew Aslan was friendly with people and I have introduced him to other people this week, but this really exceeded my expectations. He was rock-solid all day and really enjoyed the attention.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
What a wonderful day it sounds like you had!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Wow! The second day of having them both out together is amazing. I had really worried about Aslan, becase his ball was his main reward and it had been left with him when crated. He guarded his ball from me for the 1st couple of days. I thought I had removed all the balls from the house, and when Aslan went upstais to say hello to my wife he found one of Peaches that had evaded me. In less then 30 seconds he flipped it to Peaches and just watched her. He is so tolerant of Peaches it has exceeded all my expectations by over 1000%. I never expected to be able to play ball in the house or with the two of them together. We had been working to socialize them and had been praying that they would bond, and this is amazing. I had trouble controlling my own emotions as I was laughing as tears were streaming out. Tuesday I was so unsure I had made the right choice and felt like giving up. So much stress built up and relieved in a short amount of time.

Look in the third picture as my wife has to twist Peaches leg to make her relax.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
What great pictures!! And thank you for giving this guy a home! Sounds like things are coming along nicely.

·
Registered
367 Posts
i think thats harsh. Sometimes they cant afford to take care of two dogs and it would be best for the retired dog to find a comfortable home to spend his days instead of stressing over not being able to go to work with the handler and new dog. Least he's looking for a home for the dog instead of euthanizing him.
I agree RVA be respectfull or get out!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Pache I love the pics. I hope you guys have a wonderful experience with the two. I wish you pups and if you get any let me know I'd be interested.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I really have no intention of breeding them together. He is from Germany and is tatooed, but doesn't have papers. Quite a few of the police shepherd aren't papered due to the expense being quite higher. His temperment is great and I will give him a home to enjoy his latter years. He still loves to work and sometimes when I take him out at night he wants to do focused heeling and obedience without being asked. He really enjoyed his job, and had a hard time when Jeff had to leave for work without him. Peaches is helping him unwind and he has relaxed so much more now that they can be out together.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
A quick revisit to a long remembered time.
Aslan and Peaches had a great relationship for over 14 months till Aslan developed an 8 inch tumor in his diaphram. He passed away in May 2012 and will forever live in my heart.
Peaches just passed from hemangiosarcoma 6 weeks ago and had a full wonderful life with us. Grief, sadness and joy are comingled.
I would do it all over again in a heartbeat!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I read back over your thread, so glad you were able to give Aslan a good home in his retirement with Peaches. Rest in peace Peaches and Aslan, peace to you.

·
Registered
525 Posts
A quick revisit to a long remembered time.
Aslan and Peaches had a great relationship for over 14 months till Aslan developed an 8 inch tumor in his diaphram. He passed away in May 2012 and will forever live in my heart.
Peaches just passed from hemangiosarcoma 6 weeks ago and had a full wonderful life with us. Grief, sadness and joy are comingled.
I would do it all over again in a heartbeat!
I read through the whole thread. He had a happy life, and I'm glad he was able to find a home to enjoy the rest of his days in. I'm very sorry to hear about that they died. They both sounded like wonderful dogs.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts