German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our little pup Dex has a bit of a problem with his manhood, he has had a retained testicle and is now 6 months, still has not dropped. We have planned on neutering him ever since we adopted, we signed a contract saying we would have this taken care of around 6 months. It is now time to finally get neutering done. We went to the vet for our Pre- surgery appointment two weeks ago to see how things were going down there and to get an idea how much something like this would cost. My vet believes it is still somewhere in his abdomen. The bad news came when my vet said it will cost anywhere between $500-$800 (not sure exactly because he has to do an "exploratory surgery") With our luck he will charge us the $800, which is alot higher then we were expecting. We aren't exactly wealthy people but our pets come first and we get by just fine.
I know its a more complex surgery then a spay, just wondering if anyone else has this problem, how did surgery go for your dog and also if you don't mind answering how much you paid for a surgery like this?
We have tried to call around to get price ranges from other vets, but they all need to give him an exam and charge for that before they can even get an estimate. I called the rescue group we got him from and we got a message back saying they could do it for $100, then we called back with a message reminding of the retained testicle and have had no response back in over a week. So im feeling nervous about this whole thing the risks, the costs, I am trying to feel more comfortable with the fact that this problem can be very common in purebreds from whats ive read and this risks are not suppose to be any more then a regular neuter, but still very worried, anyone that has been through this before any advice or information would be extremely helpful

·
Registered
15,220 Posts
It can be a little more money, but 500-800 for a neuter??? My normal vet charges about $150 for a spay, the low cost spay/neuter clinic did both of my cats for $25 each. Vets should be able to give you an average price without an exam for a neuter with a retained testicle. It might be more exploratory, might be located right above the ring and just stuck on the other side. But heck, it's not located in the dogs head, maybe just an inch or so from where it should be. So I don't get why they charge so much for this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't know if this will make you feel better or worse-my Riley had an undescended testicle and we took him to the regular vet to have it done. It was supposed to run around $500. I got a call from the vets office saying he nearly died under anthes. so they had to bring him out immediately wthout doing the neuter. She wouldn't touch him again and referred him to a specialty vet. The specialty vet had no trouble at all with the anthes. and neutered Riley for $1500 !!
I'm still recovering from that one.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
04/29/05 Neuter/OFA Hips/Teeth Cleaning $1,207.78

My vet's office is on the expensive side but I like them.

Dante's testicle was in hiding, vet said later she wish she had suggested an ultrasound but she was sure it would be in one of the two "normal" spots....it wasn't.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Oh and I don't remember how much was the neuter, the x-rays and the teeth - I'm sure the teething cleaning was the least

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wish my vet has recommend an ultra sound, sounds like a good idea to see where its hiding, maybe have a better estimate. I think he can be a bit pricey for surgery related things. Our normal check ups, shots have always been very reasonable with our older dog Libby. He is also an amazing dog vet our family has gone to him for years and hes always been right on with any problem any of our dogs have had, although for this problem I wouldn't mind visiting another vet for the surgery.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
I did have the extra desire for OFA prelim X-rays to be done of Dante's hips and so I wanted to make sure he was somewhere that the crew was skilled with those x-rays.

·
Registered
232 Posts
sorry i cant help you out with prices, my cat had an undecended testicle and he went in and out of surgery no problem, and recovered just the same as a regular neuter. he should be fine. i would still shop around for a different price, unless you are in love with your vets office

·
Registered
714 Posts
Can't help with price because I work at a vet school where things are much more expensive. One thing I was thinking if your pups testicle is in his abdomen rather than his inguinal canal. Eli is bilaterally cryptorchid (both intraabdominal) and so, seeing as they'll be in his abdomen anyway I will have him prophetically gastropexied when he is neutered.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts