German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received the results of the 2nd allergy test and I'm wondering who to believe because the results of the food proteins are different. My testing was done first with Nelco.Vet and the second was with VARL. I find that VARL is more thorough than the first.

The one thing that was consistent between the two tests was the high reaction to different molds and dust mites. This is going to be a losing battle because I live in the South and we have high humidity. Where there is humidity there will be mold.

To help my dog I am planning to become more dilligent in my house cleaning and purchase a dehumidifier as well as an air purifier. Could the members here recommend reliable brands for both?

Is there anything else I could be doing?

·
Registered
27,270 Posts
Are they going to make up an injectable serum? Onyx has dust mite/mold allergies too and I inject her every few weeks...it may take a year or more, but hopefully she will be desensitized.
I use Honeywell air purifiers, but(after purchase) researched them more and found that the Enviracaire is really good(it smells like fresh northern air when in use):
Amazon.com: Enviracaire 60001 Grade Air Purifier with IFD Filter: Kitchen & Dining .
I use our air compressor to blow out the filters and units once a week.
This link may help(it also has de-humidifiers):Air Purifiers & Air Purifier Filters: Top 10 Air Purifiers & Customer Reviews

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I received the results of the 2nd allergy test and I'm wondering who to believe because the results of the food proteins are different.
My understanding is that allergy testing for foods is unreliable, you can get both false positives and false negatives.

Did the test include testing for flea allergy? Penny's did but they tested whole flea not flea saliva so the results weren't accurate. Penny has been helped by comfortis for flea allergy.

Also weekly baths to remove the irritants would be good.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Kazar had allergies and he itched pretty bad. He was miserable.

We took him to a vet dermatologist and he narrowed it down to possibly beef, possibly wheat.

We changed Kazar to a diet with no beef or wheat (Innova) and it completely solved his problem. That would be a fairly easy experiment to try and you could see the results in a week or so.

·
Super Moderator
32,402 Posts
Enviracaire is made by Honeywell. This is what I have (I have asthma) in our bedroom:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Enviracaire is made by Honeywell. This is what I have (I have asthma) in our bedroom:
Amazon.com: Honeywell 50250 99.97% Pure HEPA Round Air Purifier: Kitchen & Dining
I too have this one in my bedroom and love it. It's not very quiet on low or any other setting.

I also have this one in my family room that I leave on low all the time. It doesn't filter as much air, but it is quiet.

Amazon.com: Honeywell 18155 SilentComfort Permanent, True HEPA Air Purifier: Home & Garden

You can't go wrong with either purchase. Simple, clean, and effective design.

Note: if you have asthma, be careful with ionizers, they emit ozone and can pollute your air.

·
Registered
27,270 Posts
I have that same round one, and in the reviews the noise is the drawback! Amazing how filthy the filters get!

·
Super Moderator
32,402 Posts
I actually love the noise Jane! It helps me sleep by blocking out other sounds. I have a hard time sleeping in hotels because I'm used to that white noise that my air cleaner puts out.

·
Registered
27,270 Posts
Mine is just outside my bedroom and if it is off, the house seems so quiet. The motor now and then squeaks, I hope the dogs aren't getting an overdose of something I can't hear and they can...that is always a concern of mine.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What I found interesting is that when we went to California over the holidays, she was in a different environment for two weeks. Very limited exposure to trees, grass and humidity. We stayed in different hotels almost every night but she still scratched herself. The only things that were consistent: her dog food, time in the back of the truck and sleeping in her crate while in the hotels. The second test indicated a low allergy to eggs and duck. The first one didn't. The dog food she has been eating was NB Duck and Potato. I can't win. lol.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
The second test indicated a low allergy to eggs and duck. The first one didn't. The dog food she has been eating was NB Duck and Potato. I can't win. lol.
She may be developing new allergies. When in an allergenic state, sometimes during a feeding trial, they will use a "sacrifical protein", a protein that is used for transition because they will be prone to develop an allergy while their system is ramping down.

Since the VARL test showed that it is a low level allergy, it might be triggered from the food, if this is a food that you switched to after the last test.

My girl's VARL test was very accurate for her. She could not tolerate anything on the list, and only a few things not on the list were also no-no's.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
You may be correct in that she may be developing new allergies. I have not changed her kibble in over a year because her skin and coat look great. I have noticed that she has developed cracked lips lately but I am not sure if this was due to feeding her eggs or green beans with her food last month. Maybe it could be from the unusually cold weather where we live. I will be monitoring it though.

With the results of the second test, we will continue the hit and miss method of trying to find a way to make her feel more comfortable. At one point I started a diary to help determine a pattern but stopped out of laziness on my part. I'll have to make a note to pick up a day planner and follow through since this is the beginning of a new year.

My husband heard from a friend that dogs outgrow their allergies. Is that true?

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Mine never outgrew their allergies. After being off chicken for about 8 or 9years, Indy could tolerate it about once a week, that's the closest we ever came.

Green Beans, turns out Max is allergic to those! They make his fistula go nuts. His panel showed a peanut allergy, so I'm suspecting problems with the legume family.....allergies are VERY tricky!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts