German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Marshall (6 month old I just got yesterday) has been fitting in great, except one thing isn't right... He cries everytime he poops and gets really upset...and the poop looks like it's really hard. It also looks like he might've been eating pebbles?? The people I got him from had a pebble walk way, that's probably where he ate them at? I have an appointment in a few days (they're booked up until then) so I can't take him in just yet. And the vet said he'll be fine just make sure he has enough to drink and if it gets worse to call immediately.... I'm just worried. He acts like it's really hurting him. /: he eats Science Diet large breed puppy. I was going to start changing him over to something better once he's settle in.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
If he has been eating pebbles then it probably does hurt. Get some pumpkin and give him a couple of tablespoons per day. That will add some fiber and maybe make his stool a bit softer (obviously won't help the pebbles) but maybe that will be enough to help him for now.

How do his teeth look? Do they look like they are worn?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Castlemaid
I haven't given him any bones. The people before me didn't say anything about it but honestly, I don't know if he has before I got him. They did say he chewed on the chopped up wood they had though.

@Jax08
His teeth don't look worn at all, really. And fresh pumpkin or canned?? I'm sorry, I'm so new to this. I've never had a problem like this.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
canned. It's in the pie mix aisle but make sure it's 100% canned pumpkin and not pie filling with spices. You could give him more than a couple ofo tablespoons to start. It will add bulk to his stool and help clean out the pebbles.

Dogs can't process raw veges/fruits so it has to be processed somehow. If you feed him fresh then bake it until it's cooked and then put it through a food processor to mash it. :)

I would also watch him for an obstruction, depending on how many stones he may have eaten. :(

And definitely switch him to a better food like you are planning! You can do that anytime, no need to wait until he's settled in. Puppies adjust quickly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so very, very much. Is there a food you'd recommend for him that might help with his stools?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts