German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

I have a 3 year old Belgium malanois - over the past few months he doesn’t seem to be able to settle at night - my husband snores and quite restless - my dog keeps jumping on. And off the bed as if he was guarding him - any noise seems to set him off - we have had a lot of work done at our house - and where he use to sleep has gone and we are trying to make him settle in a new spot but nothing is working - I have to get up and go and lay with him to settle him sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn’t - please any tips are welcome

·
Registered
893 Posts
Sounds exhausting!
Agree with crate or gate him in other part of house...

but also, does he get enough exercise during the day
(if a Mal can ever get "enough" exercise, that is)?

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I was going to suggest a crate also. It may help him to acclimate to the remodeling changes and to feel secure in his new spot. It's kind of surprising that he is three and this has just started over the last few months. Is he behaving differently during the day? Could he be uncomfortable or have any health issues that are bothering him? If your husband is snoring loudly and is restless at night, he could have a condition like sleep apnea. If that's the case, he could possibly benefit from a sleep study in case he needs a CPAP machine to help him (and you and your dog) to sleep better at night. Perhaps the dog is highly attuned to your husband and is responding to his poor sleep?

·
Registered
619 Posts
My dog would often wake up my husband when he snored by licking him. Turns out he has sleep apnea and now wears a cpap machine.

If it's just noise in general for you dog, I would try crating him and making sure he's getting plenty of exercise before he settles in for the night.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts