German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is becoming more and more apparent that the sex organs are needed for MUCH more than just reproduction!

http://www.gpmcf.org/respectovaries.html

Highlights from the article by David J. Waters, DVM, PhD, Diplomate ACVS:

Quote:A recent study by my research group appearing next month in Aging Cell reveals shortened longevity as a possible complication associated with ovary removal in dogs (1).
Quote:We found that, like women, female Rottweilers were more likely than males to achieve exceptional longevity (Odds Ratio, 95% confidence interval = 2.0, 1.2 - 3.3; p = .006). However, removal of ovaries during the first 4 years of life erased the female survival advantage. In females, this strong positive association between ovaries and longevity persisted in multivariate analysis that considered other factors, such as height, adult body weight, and mother with exceptional longevity.

In summary, we found female Rottweilers who kept their ovaries for at least 6 years were 4.6 times more likely to reach exceptional longevity (i.e. live >30 % longer than average) than females with the shortest ovary exposure. Our results support the notion that how long females keep their ovaries determines how long they live

I'm all for keeping the overpopulation of pets down but early spay/neuters are NOT the right way.

Maybe it's time vets started looking more at early tubal ligation or vasectomy instead.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Just read this last night and was going to post it! Very interesting. I wonder what my vet will say. She really recommends spuetering at 4-6 months. She thinks I am a "little crazy" for feeding raw and waiting to neuter until Benny is two. I won't neuter him at all if the retained testicle drops. ( Have not checked in awhile)

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Originally Posted By: Debbieg She really recommends spuetering at 4-6 months.
They all do! I think it's only because a smaller dog is easier to lift on the table. LOL!

Tubal ligation sounds interesting. To me it should be cheaper, too, but I'll bet it's not.

·
Registered
187 Posts
You know I just lost the best sheppy ever due to spay incontienance and a butcher that called himself a vet. I will never spay a dog again.

·
Registered
31,132 Posts
Thank you Lauri!! there seems to be alot of information about waiting to neuter but not much about spaying.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FYI - I asked my friend (Rottie breeder) why it's always Rotties that get used in these studies. She said the Rottie Club puts alot of money into health research and fund Dr. Waters specifically.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
While I think altering a dog is a good tool and all mine are altered, I do not like doing it too early. I confess I got angry at my vet for pressuring me to nueter Havoc. I finally told her I would do it my time not hers.

Interesting article and it will make me think twice about altering.

·
Registered
646 Posts
only problem is that tubals and vasectomies do fail in humans and would likely fail in dogs too; that's why vets spay and neuter as they do

·
Registered
646 Posts
i agree lauri, there's a lot about the body that we don't know; i just had my 6 mos old shiba spayed; i put it off as long as i dared; i have an intact, 80 pound male gsd in the house and she wasn't spayed; i was afraid of what might happen...she's only 20 pounds. A determined male dog is not likely to stay in his crate and a crate won't protect her from him.

I would love to have waited a couple of years; but i'm not willing to take this risk.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Amen.
I have worked in Reproductive Biology for 20 years now (yay... I'm feeling old now... sheesh!) and we see that prevalence in many mammals.

And, yes, vets only pressure for early speuter because "it's much easier for us" and that's what I heard several times...

When it comes to what's best for my puppers... I make the call. Didn't spend two decades in Scientific Labs just to throw all that away and "make it easier on the vet". My pups are my babies and their well being is on my terms. Woop dee doo, don't mess with the momma!

Hugs to all,
Ana

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
I have always wondered about this. Thanks for posting. My girl was spayed at 6 years old. Perhaps she will live long and prosper. I noticed that she did not "age" as early as my female spayed earlier.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Interesting, I know the Bernese Mountain Dog Club of America did a health survey in 2005 and found that the dogs who were neutered/spayed early lived an average of 2 + years longer and most of the people who answered this survey were dog show people.

It's is an interesting study, but I'd like to see it done with a LOT broader population. Also, it sounds like they only looked at medical histories for the dogs. I'd be curious to know if there was also any correlation to food/lifestyle that the dogs who lived longer had. This study seems FAR to simple to convince me that keeping bitch intact is really going to improve her quality of life.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
I have never been a supporter of early spay or neuter for my personal dogs. I have no problem handling intact dogs.

I think more education should be put forth on educatiion dog owners about female heat cycles and what they should and shouldn't do.

Val

·
Registered
476 Posts
Quote:I'm all for keeping the overpopulation of pets down but early spay/neuters are NOT the right way.
um really??? yeah it is the right way. most owners are not responsible enough to keep an intact dog and keep it from breeding. Sad but true. And you are basing your opinion on this one study? There are just as many studies that say it is the perfect solution to eliminating the overpopulation of pets.

Quote:You know I just lost the best sheppy ever due to spay incontienance and a butcher that called himself a vet. I will never spay a dog again.
This is competly illogical. My dog was not a butcher and my female has spay incontinence. she gets a pill once a week not a problem. The problem is not the spay it was the "butcher" vet. Our rescue has spay/neuted hundreds of dogs and thousands of cat and I can tell you we havent lost one. If one person has a bad medical procedure would it be logical to say OMG I am never having that procedure done because one person died from it???

I have a golden that was spayed at 4 months he is 14 and one of the healthiest goldens my vet has ever seen. Wow he must be a miracle dog. My sheph that was spayed at 1 year died at 7 from an intestional torsion. If I was going to follow some peoples logic it would be because of the fact I didnt spay him earlier. Hey I know since they know soooo little about intestional torsions I am going to assume it was the late spay and tell everyone pediatric is the only way to go.

There is no across the board right decision when it comes to spay/neuter and frankly if you do some research you will see a million studies that say completely opposite things. In rescue I sincerly believe pediatric is the only way to go. You simply do not adopt out intact animals.

Did you guys ever consider vets push it so hard at a young age because they get sick of seeing a million oops litters from idiots who thought a fence could keep an unattended dog in heat from getting pregnant? It is a rare owner that can keep an intact female from never having an ooops litter. If you think it isnt then you havent been in rescue

·
Registered
31,132 Posts
I didn't take Lauri's post be against "permanent birth control". I took it as maybe there is a better way that would not harm the health of the dog.

Below is what she said in her original post.

Quote:Maybe it's time vets started looking more at early tubal ligation or vasectomy instead.
which would acheive the same results for stopping unwanted litters.

·
Registered
476 Posts
okay I was up all night working. I know males are neutered and females spayed lol. wrong words. The orig. post may not have been against altering but their were some posts in here that reek of anti alter period.

Sometimes I love this forum but the upswing in anti spay/neuter threads in here make me want to poke my eyes out with a dull stick.

This quote really ticked me off "I'm all for keeping the overpopulation of pets down but early spay/neuters are NOT the right way."

it is exactly the right way. Look at the states that the rescues do pediatric, that the HSUS does pediatric and I will guarantee you that state has less of an overpopulation problem in general. Spay/neuter contracts dont work. I would like to know if the people who feel this way do rescue and really see all the oops litters. No better way to stop animals from getting pregnant then to remove their reproductive organs.

·
Registered
31,132 Posts
Unless the standard became tubals and vasectomies. That would still have the same affect of stopping the over population.

I'm with you on the oops litters and . Another gsd just came into our HS. Two years and I ahven't seen any. There have been 4 the last 3 months. Plus all the ones in Clarks Summit....believe me...I'm with you!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts