German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Fern GSD 5yrs, Chloe the Cat
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fern has a lot of fun sniffing the air and finding hidden acorns at the park. As the weather gets hotter (today was 104F, rest of the week will be 100F min.), I see that people do nosework/nose game stuff indoors.

I tried googling how all this works but I ended up reading about SAR dogs and finding animal placenta underwater...

Is there a website that shows very basic theory and exercises we can do indoors?

·
Registered
Charlie (DOB 11/24/20)
582 Posts
Charlie can't really do scent work or find it games so I dont know much, but ive seen quite a few useful threads on scent stuff to do around the house and yard, such as sprinkling treats in some tall grass and letting them look for it, or hiding stuff around the house, start with a small area and use whatever command you like, then expand over time.

·
Registered
139 Posts
We started in puppy classes, and they moved to the next stage when they had each one down.
1, Throw treat with them watching - "find it"
2, Throw treat with them watching - "find it", while they're finding it, throw one in the opposite direction (without them seeing) and get them to find
3, Put a treat on something (we used our phones) "find it" and lead them to it
4, Above but no leading, they have to sniff it out
5, Put a treat under something - they have to nudge the "found" item to find the treat
6, no treat, when they nudge to find the treat, get them to sit and give the treat

:D Juno LOVES "find it" we now do it with her ball as the reward. But we have to change up what she's finding as otherwise she looks at us to say "stop dropping your bl**dy phone!"

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Charlie can't really do scent work or find it games so I dont know much, but ive seen quite a few useful threads on scent stuff to do around the house and yard, such as sprinkling treats in some tall grass and letting them look for it, or hiding stuff around the house, start with a small area and use whatever command you like, then expand over time.
How come Charlie can't do scent work? Is he ok? I'm slowly combing through, some of the stuff in the nosework thread is going over my head. I saw a diagram on how dogs can find the "scent cone" and it was just... I don't even know! It sounds really fun. Fern and I went on a picnic today, I would throw treats into the grass and let her sniff it out. The grass was patchy and short so she did well. She really liked it! I forgot to say the verbal cue oops!
We started in puppy classes, and they moved to the next stage when they had each one down.
1, Throw treat with them watching - "find it"
2, Throw treat with them watching - "find it", while they're finding it, throw one in the opposite direction (without them seeing) and get them to find
3, Put a treat on something (we used our phones) "find it" and lead them to it
4, Above but no leading, they have to sniff it out
5, Put a treat under something - they have to nudge the "found" item to find the treat
6, no treat, when they nudge to find the treat, get them to sit and give the treat

:D Juno LOVES "find it" we now do it with her ball as the reward. But we have to change up what she's finding as otherwise she looks at us to say "stop dropping your bl**dy phone!"
That sounds very doable. I think Fern will like it a lot since she has fairly strong food drive. I have toilet paper tubes to stuff with a treat and hide around the house. Dogs are so funny lol!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
588 Posts
Try to use an old blanket, put treats in and folds it into different layers, this way Fern can sniff and do a little digging to find the treats. Buffy loves all sort of 'find it' games and am struggling to find more variety.

·
Registered
Charlie (DOB 11/24/20)
582 Posts
How come Charlie can't do scent work? Is he ok? I'm slowly combing through, some of the stuff in the nosework thread is going over my head. I saw a diagram on how dogs can find the "scent cone" and it was just... I don't even know! It sounds really fun. Fern and I went on a picnic today, I would throw treats into the grass and let her sniff it out. The grass was patchy and short so she did well. She really liked it! I forgot to say the verbal cue oops!

That sounds very doable. I think Fern will like it a lot since she has fairly strong food drive. I have toilet paper tubes to stuff with a treat and hide around the house. Dogs are so funny lol!
im in the same boat! it can sound super complicated, so I try to dumb it down as much as possible for myself🤣

Katiebobs suggestion was super nice and simple, definitely better than my strategy, ill have to try that out too, it'll probably work better for some of my other dogs, my little one loves to find treats, I scatter them for her out on hikes often. The harder the area, the smellier the treat, i use freeze dried minnows in tall grass or weeds since they're easier to find. I definitely think Fern would do really well since her food drive is so high, just add the command and then slowly up the difficulty and watch her little brain work! it's so much fun to see how smart they can be

by the way, Charlie's just fine! He suffered a TBI back in September and it damaged his sense of smell, combine that with his low drive for scentwork in the first place, and he won't look for anything, lol

That reminds me, puzzle toys are also an option, i have a few, they have them on Amazon and have them ranked by difficulty, its the only thing Charlie will actually do since he knows there's treats inside, just has to figure out how to get to them!

·
Registered
Charlie (DOB 11/24/20)
582 Posts
Try to use an old blanket, put treats in and folds it into different layers, this way Fern can sniff and do a little digging to find the treats. Buffy loves all sort of 'find it' games and am struggling to find more variety.
I do this with an old towel sometimes! Paper towel tubes, flimsy boxes, etc, I hide smelly treats and let the dogs rip at them, they absolutely love it, the towel one is one of Charlie's favorites

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OH! Fern loves rearranging blankets! I'm definitely trying this. I've been slowly introducing Fern to a Kong and fun games. She looked at me like I was an alien but she's starting to get it.
im in the same boat! it can sound super complicated, so I try to dumb it down as much as possible for myself🤣

Katiebobs suggestion was super nice and simple, definitely better than my strategy, ill have to try that out too, it'll probably work better for some of my other dogs, my little one loves to find treats, I scatter them for her out on hikes often. The harder the area, the smellier the treat, i use freeze dried minnows in tall grass or weeds since they're easier to find. I definitely think Fern would do really well since her food drive is so high, just add the command and then slowly up the difficulty and watch her little brain work! it's so much fun to see how smart they can be

by the way, Charlie's just fine! He suffered a TBI back in September and it damaged his sense of smell, combine that with his low drive for scentwork in the first place, and he won't look for anything, lol

That reminds me, puzzle toys are also an option, i have a few, they have them on Amazon and have them ranked by difficulty, its the only thing Charlie will actually do since he knows there's treats inside, just has to figure out how to get to them!
Oh my goodness, well at least he wasn't a fan of scentwork to begin with! I forgot about puzzle games, I'll keep that in mind as well. Summer gets crazy here and we'll probably be indoors most of the day for a month and a half. Where did you get freeze dried minnows? Is it dog treats or is it people food

·
Registered
Charlie (DOB 11/24/20)
582 Posts
OH! Fern loves rearranging blankets! I'm definitely trying this. I've been slowly introducing Fern to a Kong and fun games. She looked at me like I was an alien but she's starting to get it.

Oh my goodness, well at least he wasn't a fan of scentwork to begin with! I forgot about puzzle games, I'll keep that in mind as well. Summer gets crazy here and we'll probably be indoors most of the day for a month and a half. Where did you get freeze dried minnows? Is it dog treats or is it people food
Yeah, I dont think I could survive CA, luckily summer isn't AS bad here, but neither of us are fans of the heat, my house is like a meat locker 90% of the time😂 so I try to keep him busy with little games on our 90+ days

As for the treats, I got mine from Vital Essentials! they have some really good freeze dried treats that are smelly and high value, Charlie's favorite are the chicken hearts, while my little one loves the minnows, they have a great selection of other meats too.

Ive used Raw Rewards minnows as well, which are a little cheaper.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I dont think I could survive CA, luckily summer isn't AS bad here, but neither of us are fans of the heat, my house is like a meat locker 90% of the time😂 so I try to keep him busy with little games on our 90+ days

As for the treats, I got mine from Vital Essentials! they have some really good freeze dried treats that are smelly and high value, Charlie's favorite are the chicken hearts, while my little one loves the minnows, they have a great selection of other meats too.

Ive used Raw Rewards minnows as well, which are a little cheaper.
Central California hits different with that sunlight. I used to live in the bay area (san jose) and it was way more tolerable. I was not prepared! But at least I'm 15 min away from a sch club

I'll check them out. Fern will work OB for kibble but we're always looking for extra high-value treats when working reactivity!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Is that the same Andrew Ramsey as this dude?: People v. Ramsey, A155533 | Casetext Search + Citator

Oof, if it is I don't think I can bring myself to watch the rest of the video 😢 but thank you for the source. I'll keep digging
Omg that court case is intense that poor Australian partner and the baby 😰 that is heartbreaking I had no idea I think leerburg should pull all his videos by Andrew Ramsey then off YouTube that is shocking

·
Registered
31 Posts
Also in California (Fresno) and I'm taking the intro nosework class from Fenzi. It's a lot of fun, and they break it down pretty well. Leerburg also has an online nosework class, which I bought earlier but was put off by the need for so many drawers and a dedicated training space. I'll probably go back to that one when I'm done with the FDSA class though.

This youtube channel has some good videos as well:

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Omg that court case is intense that poor Australian partner and the baby 😰 that is heartbreaking I had no idea I think leerburg should pull all his videos by Andrew Ramsey then off YouTube that is shocking
Yeah I only ran into this while researching the dog trainer named Lisa Maze. He apparently was violent with her while they were together. I was very deeply disturbed by all this, RIP Lisa.

Thanks everyone for sharing some trainer names. I found their youtube videos and I'll be taking notes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts