German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we picked up our foster from my breeder's place on Monday afternoon. Onyx is a 11 month old, black male, who's owner was diagnosed with terminal cancer - she had 4 small children and adored Onyx. He was the lowest puppy in the litter, and has been submissive to the breeder's females after he was returned. However, it doesn't look like he was super socialized in his home - he is a 90 lb puppy who has no idea of his size, and he tends to be somewhat rude in his play behaviours. Kokoda was scared of him at first - I think it was more size and hyperactive puppy behaviors; she put him in his place pretty quickly, but he does tend to push buttons. Naturally, they are never left alone, and if they do get carried away, a loud "hey" is enough to get them to both settle down. They walk beautifully on leash together - he reacts to virtually nothing while on leash, and it has actually settled Kokoda.

The biggest problem we're having is he is resource guarding - food, toys and even me and my DH. I have searched through previous posts, but am still not sure what to do in this situation. Currently, toys are out of the picture - I use the flirt pole and play fetch with them individually, but they never have toys together. They get fed in their crates, but last night they got let into the kitchen while I was preparing their dinner and Onyx went after Kokoda - again, easy to break up verbally, but not a behavior I am okay with!! He sometimes also gets snippy when someone is petting Kokoda, he will let out these short high pitched barks and then nip at her to get her out of the way.

I have never had to deal with these issues before, so I am at a complete loss - currently he gets an immediate time out whenever he acts up, and we've been giving him treats while we're petting Kokoda, or give them both treats at the same time. He is so good with people, very obedient, and a complete suck. Any advice or info would be appreciated.

Here's a few pictures of the boy!

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Our first foster was a huge resource guarder--everything including water! Never towards people, but definitely towards dogs. We had her on a strict NILF regimen, including being tethered to one of us at all times. Hand fed after doing some work for the meal. Sort of a combo of positive with some corrective behavior thrown in there (a ehhhh and redirect). Luckily she was only 5 months old, so we had it a little bit easier because puppies are much easier to "manhandle" and easier to break of bad habits...I didn't ever feel like I was going to get thrown in the middle of some huge dog fight and worry about losing a hand.

I kind of just conditioned her out of it. I'm lucky in that my girl is very dominant and doesn't back down...but is also very polite with food and will not even glance at another dog's dish. I started them about 10 feet away from each other, and gradually moved them closer with each meal. Elsa would finish and just lay down next to her food bowl and leave the puppy along. There were definitely a few growling, snapping fits, but I just stayed neutral about it, Elsa didn't react, and she slowly learned noone was going to take her food from her.

At the end a few weeks they were eating bowl to bowl (puppy still on the leash), would "share" the toys (had fun playing and stealing toys from each other without anyone getting snippy), and was fine with water and other "items".

I think staying really, really consistent with NILF and TONS of obedience helped the most. Once she figured out that I was the leader 110% and that no one was going try and snatch her food she was much better.

Obviously lots of different approaches you can take, but this worked great with her and her forever family hasn't had any real issues with her since (she did go through a bratty phase at 8 mo old when she first did OB, but has been perfect otherwise)...and she even lives and "shares" great with a 4 pound Yorkie. They are a hoot together.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! He is such a great dog - just need to get him past this!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
he is gorgeous!! I'm with GSDElsa, and would like to add, since he was low man on the totem pole at the breeders, he's in a new environment and most likely trying to push buttons to see what he can get away with especially at this butthead age:)

It can be tricky, but try working on redirecting or rewarding, 'before' the bad behavior to divert (hopefully). If you are getting a good idea of how he's going to react in certain situations,,you can start shoveling in the food (hoping he's food motivated) before it reaches a bad behavior.

Good luck with him, he is absolutely gorgeous!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Jus send him to me problem sovled. He is so so so so. Handsome :wub: I hope my next GSD looks like him. :)

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He is a handsome devil! He makes quite a statement when we're walking down the street. We actually have first dibs on him, if we want to keep him, so we'll have to see how things go. He is SO easy to train - very food and ball motivated - I think he has the fastest down I've ever seen! If we keep him I could probably have a CGN on him in a month! Things are getting much better every day, but he is definitely in "butthead" mode. Thanks so much for all the tips and encouragement!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts