German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have taken Max to the dog park every since he was 11 weeks old(he's five months now) and he has LOOOOVED it! However, I think today is the last day unless someone can tell me if this can be corrected. Max has been great playing with other dogs until today when I brought ice to the dog park. I threw it all around and he tried to fight every dog that touched the ice. When people would bring water bowls he wouldn't be aggressive he would just block any dog from drinking water or just be a jerk and knock over the water bowls. I have tried what my trainer said do (take him away and basically do a time out) but today he was soo crazy, there were 20 dogs and he was going bezerk with the other dogs eating ice. It was so embarrasing I just leashed him up and left. Now I am too embarrased to even go back. He loved the park, but I am thinking maybe he's not dog park material? Other then that he's been the best dog ever at the dog park.
Also, why is it there can be 30 dogs at the dog park, but when some people see a German Shepherd playing with their lab or golden retriever they totally freak out. Seeing Max's behavior today definately didn't help.:cry:

·
Registered
245 Posts
There are so many threads on this forum about terrible incidents at dog parks (multiple ones for every good experience out there). :( In addition to all the other inherent risks, to put it simply - you're not going to be able to have good, teachable moments with 20-30 random, uncontrolled dogs in various states of mind running around. It's only going to get more difficult as your pup matures.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I don't like dog parks to begin with and won't use them, because my golden retriever puppy was attacked at one. After seeing everything I saw there, I would never even consider bringing my GSD to one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts