German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

I while back I was asking for recommendations on breeders in the New England area (I am around MA). A bunch of you came back with great responses! However looking at the pics, the parents and some pics of the pups might not be what I was looking for. I know that a little angulation in the croup is desirable, but I think that the majority of the pics I find on the breeders' sites have too much of an overall angulation for my liking. I am not looking for those sketchy breeders that say "oversize, straight backed GSDs for sale!" or anything, but I do like the overall look of the straighter backed GSDs.

So my question is, I know the stack positions of the GSDs make the angles look a little more extreme than they actually are, but how much more extreme? I don't imagine it being THAT much of a difference so I assume that what I see in the pics is close to what I'd get. Can someone send me a pic of the same GSD in a stack position and another standing straight? That way I can see how much of a difference it actually makes.

Also, if you have recommendations of what I am looking for (also am looking for black red/black and tan saddle backs with a good mask - willing to travel anywhere really!). I know it is very particular, that is why I've been researching for over 2 years and still haven't adopted one yet :(. And it goes without saying that I am looking for good temperament. This will be a family dog/companion but will be doing tons of obedience training with the little guy and eventually agility training for fun as well.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, I suppose you can describe what I am looking for as the build of a working line GSD with the markings of a show line - black/red saddleback. Any suggestions on breeders?

What would an average working line GSD look like in stack position?

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
to be perfectly honest when I started out researchin I did the same thing as you. Knew the color I wanted and didn't want the serious roach back that alot seem to have which I saw a ton of in the black/reds and black/tans. I kept going, looking for this perfect dog the entire time saying yeah I want a great temperment but I really don't want the dog to have this or that and I want this color etc... Finally I had to research how to shut my mind up. I went working line because their temperment was much more what I was looking for even though I just wanted a family companion. Then I realized even though I just wanted a family pet I was getting a breed designed specifically to work and it wasn't fair to the dog not to do something with it so then decided on a sport to do (much like your agility for fun) I seemed to find most working lines do not have the angulation you are talking about however the black/red dwindles you get more sables and blacks maybe some black/tan or black/red mixed in.

Also I know it's your pup but seems you are putting too much into the color, as in not JUST a certain color but has to be a saddle back and have the mask etc... personally I'd be focusing more on the genetics and the temperments of the pups then being so determined to find this perfectly ordered puppy.

Even after finding my perfect breeder and waiting through multiple litters no that one is coming up I find myself putting in an "order form" I am asking for specific colors again etc.. finally I had to email my breeder and tell her if I give her anymore requests to tell me to shut up because I know it doesn't matter its just me knowing I have ONE choice and trying to get everything I want in that one choice but it's not like ordering a brand new truck where you just have a checklist and mark off colors any trim colors what body style what features you would like it to have and do add ons. Just my opinion on this though and from someone who was there doing the same thing then realized where I was being to picky on things that didn't matter.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Dogs who look extreme stacked (stifles close to the ground, back leg way back from the body) generally are fairly extreme. You can stack a dog to look "lower" in the rear then they are but you can't make their rear legs look longer than they are, if that makes sense. The dog's back actually doesn't have much to do with it - it is the position and length of the rear leg bones.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I keep seeing pictures of dogs that are stacked and it looks like their backs have a curve to them. (curves up then down to rear legs, not a sway back) What is that from?

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
did anyone suggest ryanhaus in MA to you? Nice dogs, Wolfie here on the board is from her, and another I believe.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do realize I am being extremely picky! I'm willing to compromise here and there but that would be the "ideal" dog in a perfect world. I know looks are the last thing and health/temperament should be first. Even if I find the perfect looking dog, I'd try to be as sure as possible that it is in good health through a good breeder and have the right temperament for my lifestyle. But I agree, I do need to shut off my mind to the less important things!

And yes, somebody suggested Ryanhaus. She seems very well respected. Luckily she is only about 45 minutes from me! I think she would have to be my top choice. Plus her fall breeding seems to be just what I want and just about the right timing. I should call her and put my name down! And go meet her pack :)

·
Registered
616 Posts
Did you try VomTraumhof, Their out of Townsend, ma. That's is where my Ryker is from. He's from her "P" litter(Poseidon):). Here is her website: www.traumhofgsd.com good luck! She has loads of information on all her dogs on her website.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I have been doing the same thing and I keep saying I want to find the right breeder who has a great track record for breeding physically solid dogs with great nerve and willingness to please. I found this breeder and now I am finding myself 100% happy with everything except the coloring of the dogs.

I vowed I would not care about the coloring or the beauty of the coat but I am just greedy I guess. I have decided on WSL but I am not crazy about my GSD looking like most GSD's having only a black saddle and mask. I prefer a darker GSD with more black because they have a more distinguishing individual look. Pretty much the opposite of you. LOL

I am not crazy about the the wider head and blocky body structure of many of the WL GSD'S. I wish there were more black GSD's in the SL breed.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Traumhof also looks like a great breeder. The dogs are beautiful. I'm thinking sometime in the next couple of weeks (if I'm not intruding on their holidays) I might give the two places a visit to meet the parents. I'm so excited! Everything is starting to feel so much more real even if I am many many months from adopting (probably summer/fall)

·
Registered
616 Posts
good luck in your search! :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
good luck in your search! :)
Thanks!

I just put in my puppy application with Traumhof. I threw in about 3 pages of information as well. I may have gone overboard but the more info the better I assumed :) I read through the entire site and they seem perfect! Just waiting to hear back. I know it is a long shot but I'm hoping to meet the parents within the next couple of weeks (so long as I am not intruding on holiday time).

I'm debating on giving Ryanhaus a call as well. The plan is to get a GSD around fall 2011. Thanks for your help everyone! Will keep you all posted.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts