German Shepherds Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
After almost 900 rescues under my belt I can honestly tell you that I have had some dogs thru here that would make any breeder green with envy...like this guy:BACH

My Bach was pulled on his last day. He was in absolutely the worst **** hole in Indiana. Bach was deemed a vicious 2 year old unneutered GSD. I have had this guy around ducks, cats, kids and all my other dogs. He like so many rescues "know" they have been saved. He is hands down one of my most loyal, trust worthy and lucious GSD's. He turns heads where ever we go. And he is not my only rescue head turner...

I too have a "high dollar" GSD out of Lasso. Is he wonderful...yep...but no more so than my 5 rescues. Is he smarter because he has never known a shelter life and what it means to be negelcted. NOPE. They have no idea about dollars and cents. They only know honesty and genuine concern. I think a dog is a dog. We are the ones who put labels and monetary value on them. Instead we need to look into the soul and forget what we "humans" think is worth more.
I love all the stories here and hope you will take from this the true meaning of what it is like to look into the eyes of true unconditonal graditude..I dearly love my thrown away treasures known as rescues just as much as my purchased gems.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Originally Posted By: mmiller.........[dogs] have no idea about dollars and cents. They only know honesty and genuine concern. I think a dog is a dog. We are the ones who put labels and monetary value on them. Instead we need to look into the soul and forget what we "humans" think is worth more. .......... I dearly love my thrown away treasures known as rescues just as much as my purchased gems.
So very well said.

The husband of the groomer who trained me, worked as a dog trainer at the kennels of a GSD breeder who also boarded and trained other peoples dog's. Her main stud was a german import who was so aggressive that he had to be muzzled to ensure the safety of the bitch during mating - in fact they ended up using AI as he was considered a "psycho" and too much of a risk. But it did not stop them breeding and spreading his genes. A lot of his progeny ended up in protection work but some were sold to pet owners. A pup cost in excess of $3000 and that was in 1998.

The dollar value placed on a dog is no way the be-all and end-all as a means to judge the worthiness of any dog. It is more appropriate to judge each dog on displayed merits rather than how much someone else valued or devalued the dog in dollar terms.

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Your comment probably came from my prior questins about Timber , my expensive dog, and prior posts I made requesting advice.

Yes, there were some issues about Timber, mostly revolving around his desire to protect my property, and at times aggression toward strangers. After getting 18 stitches in his neck, he also was not all that friendly with my vet. The latter issue has been resolved. The former has taken more work.

I really would prefer not to compare Timber with my rescues. Because I had Timber since he was a pup, and not a single rescue puppy it would be unfair.

Nonethless, I will relay one story, which happened just last week, and may tell you why I describe Timber as my forever dog.

Timber is great in crowds, at festivals, etc. but when he meets a human one on one that is not always the case. Last week my 90 year old dad was admitted to the hospital in critical condition. While my dad was in the hospital I walked Timber around the block in Winona, MN.

There is a man in a wheel chair that had both his legs amputated as a result of the Vietnam War. While walking Timber and my adopted rescue Paris by the guy, Timber jumped on the guy's lap and licked him in the face. Why I was trying to apologize the guy put his arms around Timber and asked me to bring him by again.

In a few short years, there are so many wonderful things about the dog, but I try and refrain from discussing that stuff. I tend to think most of us that have German Shepherd Dogs have had similar experiences. I could say some many more good things about Timber, but you have to know the dog, to truly appreciate how blessed I am to have Timber.

Thanks for asking.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts