German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We rescued this 2 month old baby girl from the shelter today. The shelter said that she had little hope and that it was probably not worth picking her up. We decided to take her anyway and give her a chance.

The first thing she did when I got to her cage was look up at me and shed a tear... A freaking tear rolled out of her puppy eyes! How can you say no to that?? She sure knows how to seal the deal.

She has been diagnosed with Giardia, severe kennel cough and she is spending the night at the animal hospital to get x rays and more tests(doc said possible pneumonia) .

We cant wait to get her back and share some TLC and have faith that she will make it through!

Oh by the way we named her Faith!~

Thanks for looking~

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Wow, thanks for giving her a chance! Are they keeping her on fluids at the vet hospital? There are people on this board who have nursed puppies through alot. I know they need extra fluids, really good nutrition (I personally cook for sick puppies but that's me), a warm bed and lots of rest. Sometimes it's best to leave them at the vet for a few days so that they can get intensive care with fluids, etc.

Little puppies can take a turn for the worse really quickly so be sure you get a comprehensive care sheet from the vet so you know what to look for if she takes a turn for the worse.

Be sure they DO NOT give her vaccinations at this time. Her immune system needs to improve before she can handle those.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! You have a beautiful dog!!! Great Mix~

Wow, thanks for giving her a chance! Are they keeping her on fluids at the vet hospital? There are people on this board who have nursed puppies through alot. I know they need extra fluids, really good nutrition (I personally cook for sick puppies but that's me), a warm bed and lots of rest. Sometimes it's best to leave them at the vet for a few days so that they can get intensive care with fluids, etc.

Little puppies can take a turn for the worse really quickly so be sure you get a comprehensive care sheet from the vet so you know what to look for if she takes a turn for the worse.

Be sure they DO NOT give her vaccinations at this time. Her immune system needs to improve before she can handle those.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update

She is in critical condition :(

Worms/Parasites
Giardia
Pnumonia
Kennel Cough

They said we will need to keep her there for at least a couple more days/or until she is eating because currently she is rejecting to eat food.

She is approximately 2 months and the poor thing deserves a chance. We are going to keep her there and try to push for her recovery.

I ask that if anyone knows anything or can help in any way i would appreciate it very much. Thank you~

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Poor little thing :( I hope she makes a quick recovery, I'm sure the vet is doing all they can

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
The first 2 are common and I don't consider critical. The bottom 2, well she is in good hands!

Thank you for taking the baby =) sending prayers her way and keep us updated!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update

She is in critical condition :(

Worms/Parasites
Giardia
Pnumonia
Kennel Cough

They said we will need to keep her there for at least a couple more days/or until she is eating because currently she is rejecting to eat food.

She is approximately 2 months and the poor thing deserves a chance. We are going to keep her there and try to push for her recovery.

I ask that if anyone knows anything or can help in any way i would appreciate it very much. Thank you~

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
(sorry for the double post, total accident)

Thank you Neko and Shanna for the responses.

I will keep everyone posted on anything i hear from the Doc.

Even though those are minor things listed, because of the neglect of proper treatment and her age its in pretty rough stages.

Poor thing is only 4lbs for an approximate age of 2 months... im hoping shes a mix with a smaller breed or is this weight normal(in her situation im guessing its not)?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Poor baby. I think 4lbs sounds really small for 2 months. Since it was a shelter though they could have missed her age or she might be mixed with a small breed. Good luck Faith! Send pics when you can and keep us updated. We are pulling for you!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
aww poor little thing, thank you for giving her a chance, hoping she recovers just fine and gives you many years of happiness

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you Capone22, Stevenzachsmom, lily's master, JakodaCD OA for your responses. I appreciate all of you for chiming in and for your nice comments.

We got news from the doc that she needs to stay one more night. She did start to eat some of the special food they have for her case which is a good sign. 1 more night with the proper iv and medication and hopefully tomorrow we will hear more good news.

thank you all once again for your comments and prayers, my fiance and i are very thankful for this opportunity.

-Brian & Vanessa

·
Registered
297 Posts
Thank you for giving her a chance. Sending prayers....I'm glad to hear the good update that she may be home soon and am waiting to hear more good updates!

·
Registered
31,776 Posts
The worms could severely limit her weight. We have a Boxer that was 4 lbs at 9 weeks. It's a pitiful site. She's now 42 lbs. It sounds like your girl is in very good hands

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
thoughts and prayers your way.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts