German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Basically, a new mother had to get let go of her 1.5 year old GSD because she recently had a baby. He was much bigger than expected and is around 90lbs. He is very headstrong compared to my other GSD.

He also just started a round of Remicin ointment for his ears which seem to be infected. I gave him a bath and had my hands all over his face and he didn't seem bothered yesterday. He doesn't mind when I grab his ears either. But whenever he sees the Ear Medication bottle coming he snaps at me and shows his teeth. I am not scared of him but am wary to upset a rehomed dog.

? - His ears sometimes stand tall but then sometimes lean over. My other GSD always had ears pointed up. Is this a sign of the infection of how his ears regularly are?

? - How can I administer this medication or should I just give him a round of Cephalaxin orally?

? - My other GSD wasn't fixed but was very gentle, will fixing this rescue GSD cause him to be more docile?

Thanks for all your advice! :smile2:

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Thank you for rescuing this beautiful boy!

I can't be much help with the ear medication as my boy runs for the hills when I show up with the ear drops. One point that was made on a similar post is to warm the drops to body temp. That helped a little.

I don't think neutering has any effect on temperament.

Lynn & Traveler

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
if he has an infection he is going to need medication but everything is very new, so that can be tricky. As far as neutering, I've seen a good change in temperament every time. The most recent the most noticeable with great results.

·
Registered
5,544 Posts
Just curious, if you don't mind, if you wanted a more docile dog, why choose a German Shepherd?

·
Super Moderator
5,872 Posts
My boy hates ear drops too.Try warming them and using a swab or cotton ball to apply them.Maybe while he's lying down and relaxed for grooming or petting.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Just curious, if you don't mind, if you wanted a more docile dog, why choose a German Shepherd?

Well because until very recently I had the greatest GSD this world has ever known. Although I raised him from 8wks to 11.5yrs, "docile" doesn't being to describe the ease of his behaviour...

- could feed him a single cookie, put the plate of cookies on the floor, leave the room, come back and...cookies would be untouched!

- never had any separation-anxiety ever; never ever whined

- never bit me even superficially

- barely whispered for him to obey my commands

- strong maybe that he even had FIVE accidents in the house in 11.5 years (including urinating)

- toddlers could hug him and he would just look at me with his kind eyes saying why are you letting this rugrat squeeze me so hard?

- no problem ever giving medication, just use two of your fingers to open his mouth, ears, etc. and done!

Sorry, but that was more for me than anyone else. So...as you can imagine I figured every GSD would be like my recently-deceased GSD (well at least with me!). I've put myself in quite the predicament. One one hand the new GSD listens to me but it ain't like the old dog. And I don't want to experience getting bit so I'm inhibited (a new experience with me & dogs). :wink2:

? - What about giving him something to help him calm down? A youtube video suggested sedation at the vet but is there any homespun method of getting his ear-medication in.

btw: My first instinct (an unreasonable one) was to replace exactly what I had lost & to add insult to injury, my breeder told me that they have had around 20 litters in 15 years and my deceased GSD was the only one that had ever been pure golden-hair coated.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Not sure if this would help any, but my dog doesn't like having his ears cleaned either or his nails cut, but to get him to stand nice I get my husband to hold a dog treat (something is really likes) if front of him and keep his attention well I do what needs to be done.

As for the neuter thing, my boys attitude didn't change at all. He was done at 18mths

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Coming from MANY years' experience, you will never 'replace' the wonderful boy you lost. BUT... You can learn to bond with this boy and love him for his own personality, believe me, it will come.

As for the ears... Most dogs love to have their ears massaged gently, even on the inside, and down into the ear, ever so gently, making sure you don't scratch with a fingernail. I would work with him that way, a little bit at a time, several times a day, until he leans into it, he may even groan a bit--it feels good! Then I would smear some of the ear meds on my finger (unbeknownst to him, lol) and gently rub it into the insides of his ears. I have a rescue boy who was very ear shy, and this worked for him over a few days' time. You just have to take things gradually.

Thank you for taking him, he's lovely, don't give up on him!

Susan

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
and gently rub it into the insides of his ears.
Thanks. I was worried that since the ear canal is L-shaped I had to be very aggressive trying to get it into the ear canal. Supposedly a flush is also helpful with Remicin but he isn't allowing me to do that.

I will definitely try what you mentioned.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Nikki had her first ear infection earlier this year and she doesn't like any drops in her ears. I asked the vet if we could use the "BNT otic treatment" for her and it worked great.

It's really thick and sticky and stayed in her ear for about 2 weeks (can't remember exactly how long). They just fill the ears with it and you don't have to do anything else until the re-check.

Thank you for rescuing this handsome boy :smile2:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I took him to an area where a lot of people walk by to gauge his behavior. He barked like crazy at other dogs; loud as well. Does this mean he is dog aggressive? He pulls very hard and i had to hold on to his collar very tightly.

Would this subside if he gets neutered? I get mixed advice but wanted to know with others who may experience the same with GSDs.

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm really kinda freaked out to be honest. My other GSD raised from puppyhood was the best and I've never adopted an older dog because I always suspected whatever imprinting dogs have in their formative weeks would be difficult/impossible to break.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Has he had any training yet?

My first GSD was dog-reactive. I worked with a trainer once a week for about 6 weeks. We upped our obedience so that he would focus on me and not on other dogs when out in public. I also used a prong collar for control and corrections, which some people don't like, but it worked well for us in our situation.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Has he had any training yet?
No training. I got him from a stay-at-home mom who accidentally got pregnant and couldn't deal with an active 1.5yr GSD and mothering duties. The thing I am skeptical about with training is that it may still lead to unpredictable results. I am looking into getting him fixed very soon but apparently it isn't as effective in decreasing aggression as it is for roaming/urination issues.

What I am really worried about is him attacking someone or a another animal. My other GSD never ever showed signs of aggression (although he did bark & whine at passing dogs it didn't seem mean). With this dog I am just very unsure about how to proceed. I mean I was thinking going to a dog park but who knows how that will end up. On the plus side he seems to get along with/my other dog tolerates him.

I should mention I'm not scared of him because I know what I've gotten myself into but its other people I'm concerned about. A pet store employee put her face at his eye level and I was like WTF?

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I'm really kinda freaked out to be honest. My other GSD raised from puppyhood was the best and I've never adopted an older dog because I always suspected whatever imprinting dogs have in their formative weeks would be difficult/impossible to break.
Your statement above is untrue. Right now I have a rescued male GSD of Czech working line descent who was terribly neglected, starved and abused before I got him when he was 2 years old. He has completely bonded with me and is fine. I also have a rescued female GSD of DDR lineage whose temperament is not the greatest, we manage her dog aggression, but she will live her life in my household. In the past I have successfully had a male wolf/GSD, a male show line GSD, a very large male working line GSD from Texas, all rescues who suffered abuse in different degrees. They all bonded with me and I reached the point with each one of them where I trusted them completely. They all lived out their lives with me. Please don't dismiss rescues, there are wonderful dogs out there who deserve good homes. I suspect your current boy is one of them.

Susan

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
right now I am trying to apply his ear medication which is KetoFlush & Remicin but he simply will not let me. He is too quick to snap at my hand. Although it is not an aggressive snap it is very reactive. I have tried massaging his ears which he is OK with but as soon as I bring a bottle or cotton-ball he snaps. He basically raises his front legs and tries to mildly leap on me and also snaps his jaws. Is this a sign that he wants to harm me or just that he is irritated.

Any other suggestions? I want him to get better as maybe his ear infection is causing him to act-out his aggression. I've had an ear infection and it definitely hurts.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Maybe I missed this, but how long have you had this dog? Any way the previous owner could help with the ear drops?
Have you tried treating and introducing the bottle, then take it away. Work closer and closer as you build trust.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maybe I missed this, but how long have you had this dog? Any way the previous owner could help with the ear drops?
Have you tried treating and introducing the bottle, then take it away. Work closer and closer as you build trust.
3 days now. The previous owner gave me the ear medication as she had just gotten the prescription last week. I have tried the treat method. In fact, he will lay on his back and let me massage his ears or give him a treat however once the cotton ball or bottle comes he squirms and snaps...and leaps. My other GSD would never have done such a thing so it is a bit unnerving with a strange 90lbs dog.

·
Registered
149 Posts
right now I am trying to apply his ear medication which is KetoFlush & Remicin but he simply will not let me. He is too quick to snap at my hand. Although it is not an aggressive snap it is very reactive. I have tried massaging his ears which he is OK with but as soon as I bring a bottle or cotton-ball he snaps. He basically raises his front legs and tries to mildly leap on me and also snaps his jaws. Is this a sign that he wants to harm me or just that he is irritated.

Any other suggestions? I want him to get better as maybe his ear infection is causing him to act-out his aggression. I've had an ear infection and it definitely hurts.
You only got him 3 days ago,he's got to be extremely scared and doesn't trust you yet. Trust will come in time and I think you should leave his ears alone for a little while, he doesn't know who you are and all the sudden you are pestering him and trying to put things in his ears, it must be freaking in out. When you have more of a bond and he trusts you more, and has settled into routine with you then start to clean his ears, you will find that the snapping will most likely stop if you just leave him alone and let him figure out he can trust you, he is not trying to hurt you obviously but just warning you that he doesn't know who you are and to leave his ears alone. For a few weeks until he settles in and can trust you, when he is relaxing and you are giving him a rub, rub around his ears, it relaxes them and he will trust you around his ears and when he is ready start bringing out the bottle and just leave it out and give him a rub, start playing with it and even rubbing the bottle on him so he doesn't react or consider it a bad thing. Then out some of the ointment on a paper towel and out it around your finger and just go do the parts of his ear that is closer to the outside, don't try and stick your finger down his ear canal at first, just around. He will start to trust you more and more and eventually trust you to do the full cleaning.
Also with the walking and other dogs, bring him to a trainer, not a petsmart trainer to anything like that but a true experienced working dog trainer, since you aren't sure if he is aggressive to other dogs or just dominant or territorial, or simply wanting to say hello to the other dog, you NEED to get him evaluated by a true (preferably GSD/working dog) trainer, they will tell you exactly what he needs and will help you train him out of whatever it is. Best of luck to you too!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts