German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I rescued a dog 3 years ago and shes just grown so huge! When I got her she was 8 months and 80lbs at the local shelter. She doesn't bark unless she was frightened or if someone knocks. She is a very gutteral dog, as she mostly has these loud gut growls that sound very deep - you can even feel it on the floor sometimes. Shes topped off at 140lbs with no fat. She has a huge chest, I can't even wrap my arms around her and I'm not small myself. She looks likes a shepherd and acts like one (can spot something new in the yard and she immediately alerts me and investigates). Shes very smart, we have trained her up to advanced obedience and started search and rescue to give her a job.

I'd honestly would just like to know her breed and what other breeds you think she might be mixed with.

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
Looks like she could certainly be a GSD. Her size is very large - 140lbs is more than double what many female GSDs weigh - but there are big dogs within the breed. With her ear set, I doubt anything with non-prick ears is in the mix at all. Her head and muzzle don’t suggest anything northern to me, either (malamutes, etc). If you’re curious, I think there are some holiday deals floating around on genetic breed tests that are done with cheek swabs. To my eye she looks like a GSD.

Welcome :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like she could certainly be a GSD. Her size is very large - 140lbs is more than double what many female GSDs weigh - but there are big dogs within the breed. With her ear set, I doubt anything with non-prick ears is in the mix at all. Her head and muzzle don’t suggest anything northern to me, either (malamutes, etc). If you’re curious, I think there are some holiday deals floating around on genetic breed tests that are done with cheek swabs. To my eye she looks like a GSD.

Thank you!

·
Registered
547 Posts
If there's anything non-GSD in her, I would guess another type of shepherd. Maybe a King Shepherd or a Shiloh Shepherd. Both of those breeds grow to be huge!

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
she looks like a purebred that needs her nails clipped :)

Purebred doesn't mean well bred so it's entirely possible she's GSD. There was a sheetmetal fab shop near my work that had a horse of a male GSD. He was well over 30" at the withers. I pulled a male from the shelter at 29" to the withers and 102# (slightly underweight). So it's possible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
she looks like a purebred that needs her nails clipped :)

Purebred doesn't mean well bred so it's entirely possible she's GSD. There was a sheetmetal fab shop near my work that had a horse of a male GSD. He was well over 30" at the withers. I pulled a male from the shelter at 29" to the withers and 102# (slightly underweight). So it's possible.
Shes getting them done today, thats why shes at work with me ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL I have a hard enough time wrestling an 80# dog to cut nails.
It's super hard her as she doesn't like anyone touching her paws, been that way since I got her. So it's every 2 months with the same person. Back paws are always short but front ones seem to grow fast. My other dog lets me trim his nails no problem.

·
Registered
43 Posts

I really had fun sending in my girls DNA! EMBARK does a very nice job! You can get a pretty good price on Amazon.

·
Registered
669 Posts
BEAUTIFUL DOG!!! I don't see anything that hints of another breed. Looks 100% GSD to me. I just had my rescue
girl done as I had no idea what she was and was thrilled to find out she's 100% GSD even though her face is not
the standard look.
Embark Vet DNA does a great job on DNA testing and Health Testing. I wanted to know if my dog was genetically predisposed to have future health problems. It's worth the money, in my opinion.
Anyway welcome to the forum and congrats on rescuing a stunning and smart girl.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Who weighed her? I am looking at the desk and chair, nice that she gets to be at work, she is a big girl. I just don't see 140 there. I have owned big dogs and big GSDs. I can't see how she weighs that much.
She is very pretty.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts