German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! This is my first time posting on here. So, my husband and I rescued a puppy back in January. We were looking for a GSD, after my sweet girl of 12 years passed away last year and we were finally ready for a new family member and wanted another GSD. I found this lil guy at a local rescue and he was listed as GSD and he looked like one, but he was very malnourished and young so it was hard to tell otherwise. The last 4 months he's been doing great but seems to be on the smaller/leaner side of what a typical german shepherd male would be. I get asked often if he is a Malinois so I decided to look into it and it seems like that may be a possibility. Right now he's 8.5 months, weighs about 54 lbs. Any thoughts? Of course we love him no matter what he is (people also ask if he's coyote, dingo, etc, haha) but it would be nice to know! Thanks in advance.
?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Oh, my goodness.... those ears! :laugh:

To me, the body looks more Malinois than GSD. The head reminds me more of a GSD, though. Maybe a cross of the two? Whatever he is, though, he's a lucky pup.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I couldn't say, but I'm LOVING those ears! I bet he can hear you coming from Two miles away :D

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Definitely malinois ears and body but Shepherd face. He does not have that lean pointed mal face.

Impossible to tell. Mal Shepherd mixes are becoming more and more popular in the sport world. However I doubt one of those breeders would let a pup get loose.

Because mals are still rarer I would bet he's simply a shepherd mix. But who knows? :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the insights everyone! His ears are definitely his most... um... noteworthy asset :) They get lots of attention. The area where he was found has lot of ranches/breeders so a Mal/GSD mix is possible. I'm not as familiar with the Malinois but doing some research he's not as intense/crazy as they are often described, although he is quite energetic and has a high prey drive (but these are also GSD qualities so who knows). He does do a weird clap thing with his teeth when he wants to go outside which is funny and I read is a Mal trait. He's super smart but also fun and goofy, we're really enjoying having him around :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts