German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few of us had expressed interest in a lightweight rescue harness, sling for our dogs should they get injured out in the wilderness. A member in my SaR organization just sent this link out yesterday https://www.fidoprotection.com/fido-pro-airlift
I’ll probably buy one since it’s possible my dog could retear her Iliopsoas tendon in the future when we start bouldering again and can update with fit and how it packs.

Happy 4th!

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Zoey can be carried on my shoulders and we have done so once due to injury. I did this with her after seeing someone post on this forum doing it with their dog. The downside being the loss of having hands free. This harness would free up hands plus make lifting or lowering using rope possible. I'd be curious to try one out.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I would like your insight once you get it. It may make sense as a team purchase. I am also asking today at Beau's annual check up about Narcan for my kit as well as the annual replenishment of the dexamethazone and injectable benedryl.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I would like your insight once you get it. It may make sense as a team purchase. I am also asking today at Beau's annual check up about Narcan for my kit as well as the annual replenishment of the dexamethazone and injectable benedryl.
Well after I posted one of the County team leaders chimed in they had bought a few and aren’t happy with the fit. I’ll get in touch with him to see if they’ll let me try one before I buy.
We’re a trailing team so I’m not worried about her getting hurt while working just when we go on day hikes or backpacking.

·
Registered
94 Posts
There are three lightweight emergency harnesses available that I’ve seen advertised recently. I’ve been debating on which to potentially go with, but haven’t decided on one yet. So far for each design I’ve wanted to tweak at least one thing ?

There is the Fido pro airlift

Mountain Dogware Pack a Paw Rescue Harness https://mountaindogware.com/dog-carrying-harness-usa.html

Ruff Rescue Gear Backcountry https://www.ruffrescuegear.com/

And then of course there are also always the nice rappelling harnesses available though perhaps not as pack friendly and requiring a little diy for straps.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are three lightweight emergency harnesses available that I’ve seen advertised recently. I’ve been debating on which to potentially go with, but haven’t decided on one yet. So far for each design I’ve wanted to tweak at least one thing ?

There is the Fido pro airlift

Mountain Dogware Pack a Paw Rescue Harness https://mountaindogware.com/dog-carrying-harness-usa.html

Ruff Rescue Gear Backcountry https://www.ruffrescuegear.com/

And then of course there are also always the nice rappelling harnesses available though perhaps not as pack friendly and requiring a little diy for straps.
Please post a review

·
Registered
94 Posts
My results are in. For a 75lb male GSD I bought both the Ruff Rescue Gear harness (Medium 40-80 lbs ) and the Fido Pro Airlift (XL, 85 to 150 lbs reccommended by Fido Pro due to GSD length) and I hate to say it, but I'm not in love with either.

The Ruff Rescue material feels finer and is customizable to dog size, however the chest section appears to fall quite low on a GSD frame and risks them tumbling out the front if lifted over back. Front carrying is possible if the user compensates for the weight of their front. The harness stays nicely on the dog when no tension is applied, however when lifted it does appear to compress the lateral thorax a bit more than I would like due to its shoulder strap configuration and more so than the Fido Pro. It also has a lot of straps due to the customization which may be difficult for someone to apply quickly if not tested ahead of time. Fit and functionality seemed better with a mal frame.

The Fido Pro is very basically built and is very simple to apply. Packs smaller than the Ruff Rescue If no tension is on the straps it is very loose and a conscious dog can easily remove themselves or a limb from its place. When lifted appears to compress sides of the thorax less than Fido Pro, however does require more consideration of movement to maintain security of the dog in the harness since they are restrained primarily by the leg straps and ventral support. The addition of another strap over the dorsum to keep the harness up on the dog would be nice.

Both are quite difficult to lift a large dog over the back unless starting from elevated surface, but easy enough from the front. If I needed to raise or lower a dog I'd prefer a Ruffwear Doubleback or other rappelling harness for the fit security.

I don't see either being very comfortable for my dog for extended periods, but either are probably decent enough to lend somewhat of a hand in an emergency situation, though designs are certainly not perfect.

I may try again with different sizes and see if that changes how I feel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts