German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gs community! Okay here is the run down and I am looking for some help and advice to prevent this from going any further and correct it if I can. Sorry for the long thread but I need to be specific.

We currently have a 1 1/2 year old shep who is great. I have raised him since he was 8wks old. He is crazy and playful and high drive.

Last night we got a rescue pup from out of state. The dog is a 6 mos old female German shep. She is spayed. Her history from what I was told was that the owner dropped her off at a high kill shelter because he had other animals. That was it. She spent about 20 days at a German shepherd rescue that pulled her and we got her last night. I was told that she was loving, playful, no problems with cats (as we have one). and even saw a video of her interacting with a cat and other dogs were around.

We picked her up took her home and our current dog was put in our bedroom with his crate. The first thing we did was let her go potty outside then brought her in to get familiar with the house. She played, ran around and even meet the cat with no problems. We then switched out the dogs and put our current dog in the family room downstairs and put her in the crate in the bedroom ( she has her own crate) We took a nap ( as we had been driving all night from getting her) and we trust our male dog in the house alone. She sleep fine and when we woke up we took her for the vet appt. All was good at the vets office, except she was a little anemic. and we got the all clear to introduce them.

At home we took her down our lane for a walk and brought our male dog outside and down the lane also. He is a little reactive to dogs sometime so we usually do introductions this way. He barks a lot so I muzzle him then after the introduction I take it off. this time he wasn't barking, just whining and we didn't move forward towards her till he stopped. So after they got close we took the walk and he sniffed and sniffed. then we walked into the house together.

First we crated her in the family room and left him out and he sniffed and explored the crate. she was whining and barking a bit but settled down.

She hadn't eaten yet so I brought her food downstairs and put it in the crate for her to eat. She was fine but then the male dog went over to investigate and she went crazy showing her teeth and barking. So clearly I said, okay feed separately no big deal, she may have had to fight for her food or wasn't fed enough before. I did check to make sure she was not food aggressive with people. I was able to pick up her dish, put my hand in the dish. no problems.

After eating and resting and feeding the male dog we let her out with her leash on and same with the male dog and let them interact a bit. Wasn't much, she was more concerned with us and the male dog was interested in sniffing her a lot. She was carrying around toys, ears pinned back, tail wagging. She went over to a dog bed (our male dog does not use it, never has) and had a toy and he went over to sniff and she snapped. My husband gave her a quick correction which she was a lil taken aback by but okay. so I told him it has to be lighter and better timing.

so next, she was off the bed and on the carpet kind of playing with toys and I did some experiments to see where this may be coming from or what triggers it. gave her a rope toy and had my male dog grab it, no real problem there, tho they didn't tug it together he just grabbed it and then let it go. I played with my male dog throwing his toys and she just watched. Then we played with her and she was more concerned with taking the toys back to the bed.

I took a nap upstairs tonight and put her in her crate in the bedroom and him in his. no problems, they slept side by side (as that is how the crates our) tho there is a blanket in between them.

We also did giving them treats together. I fed the male dog first (the both were side by side) and then gave one to her. No problems.

They follow us upstairs together, no problems.

We then did sitting on the couch (as I allow my dogs on the couch downstairs for movie time) male dog took his normal spot, she got up in between me and my step son (16yrs) she curled up and was actually watching the tv. The male dog decided to get off the couch and come around to her and sniff her and she growled. I told her no. Then he went and was standing on the other side of the coffee table and she just made a bark/snap/growl is the best way to describe it. At that time I told her no and took her off the couch and put the male dog up on his spot on the couch. She was laying on the floor. I then had her get up next to the male dog. No problems. she rolled over half way and let me rub her belly and her head was on the male dog leg and belly. after a short amount of time the male dog got down and was playing some by himself which he does. she was just laying on the floor as I had her get down. no problems, occasionally he would walk by sniff her or look at her. no problems she just laid there.

we went upstairs together after movie, did potty time my husband took our male dog out first and then I came out shortly after while they were out there. she did her business and then we came back inside the house together. They got treats, no problem. He was sniffing her about 5 minutes later and my step son was overlooking them while I made a snack right there and she kinda made a light snap or a curl of the lip. I told her no and she came over to me and gave me sad eyes. Then we all went back downstairs together and she layed down underneath my desk while I was there. So I put her in the crate down here as she is tired and left the dog open. She laid down right away and starting sleeping. about five minues later the male dog started to approach and she snap and barked. I sent him away from her and told him to leave her alone. And that is where we are right now. She is sleeping in the crate as we are watching a move and the male dog is laying in one of his many spots down here.

So what do I do to fix/correct/control this?

my experience briefly; always have had sheps, used to train narc dogs. I had two dogs before but they were both males and both drug dogs and they could not be keep together (they both had prior dog issues), so this is my first experience with two sheps together in the household. I have never seen aggression in a pup this young before so I want to do what I can now to prevent this from getting worse and she grows.

My thoughts, follow pack structure as she gets feed last, goes through does last, up stairs last, no couch, no bed. treats last. Should I be correcting her when she does this on a pinch?

Please help I am listening! ; ))

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
How long ago was she spayed? Is there anything else medically wrong with her? My oldest female(non GSD) doesn't like when dogs sniff her back area. She nips that in the bud right in the door. I've seen dogs dance around her because after the sniff they want to mount and that is definitely not allowed. She sits down and doesn't let them near her. In her case I let her correct them and it ends there, they don't bother her anymore. In your case I'm not sure what it is, but it doesn't sound like it would be to hard to modify. She sounds like a great dog and with a little guidance she will be fine. What does your male do when she nips or snarls at him? Do you have any pictures yet?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She was spayed just last month according to her paperwork. My male dog is like "what the heck" and kinda backs off a little bit, tho one of the those time she was in the crate, he did a couple play bows and didn't realize she meant business so I redirected him. I want to do whatever I need to do with them to get them good together and being she is so young I am hoping with direction I can do this. ; ) I have photos just have a hard time getting them on forum. I can try again tho.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
She was spayed just last month according to her paperwork. My male dog is like "what the heck" and kinda backs off a little bit, tho one of the those time she was in the crate, he did a couple play bows and didn't realize she meant business so I redirected him. I want to do whatever I need to do with them to get them good together and being she is so young I am hoping with direction I can do this. ; ) I have photos just have a hard time getting them on forum. I can try again tho.
I wonder if she is completely healed? Sounds like she is protecting herself. But it also sounds like a simple no is working. Its a good thing that your male is playful and not mean about it. I think that after some consistency on your part, she will learn to understand. Just make sure that she isn't in some kind of pain or something.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm dealing with aggression between 2 of my GSDs (one a recent rescue). I've sought out many resources and attended workshops/lectures/seminars. Every scenario is unique and there does not seem to be "one solution fits all" answer. However, I found the information in this article to be along the lines with what I 'feel' is going on and some good pointers on ways to handle it . . .

How To Handle Interdog Aggression | The Balanced Canine

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She looks healed and she was at the vets today. my male is up in her business and sniffs her face lot which she doesn't care for. I am hoping they can get to a point they play together, but I def think there is a dominant issue with her but I will give it a few more days and advice to set a game plan.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm dealing with aggression between 2 of my GSDs (one a recent rescue). I've sought out many resources and attended workshops/lectures/seminars. Every scenario is unique and there does not seem to be "one solution fits all" answer. However, I found the information in this article to be along the lines with what I 'feel' is going on and some good pointers on ways to handle it . . .

How To Handle Interdog Aggression | The Balanced Canine

Thank you, I am reading now. ; )

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Oh look at those ears:) I have a feeling that they will end up being best friends. Everything is very new for her and she has to adjust. Just make sure you keep observing and supervising.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts