German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi all! New to the forum and the breed. My sister found a 9 week old GSD abandoned in a parking lot a few weeks ago with his breeder documentation and vet records, crate, bed, and 2 dozen toys. My fiancée and I ultimately adopted him 3 weeks ago. Although I’m not new to dogs, I don’t know much about GSD. I have a 7 year old boxer/catahoula mix that I’ve been training daily since I rescued her at 6 months. Very excited to start training the puppy (Moose).

Can anyone tell me anything about Moose just from looking at the pictures (I.e., working line or show line, purebred or mixed)? I’m also very curious about what he’ll look like full grown. He seems to be a mix of dark brown and black but has white around his eyes and he’s getting a lot of white on his chest and the under side of his snout his all white. Does this indicate he’s a silver sable?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
He's beautiful. Curious, I would have contacted the breeder to discuss and find the answers to these questions. Most quality breeders take back unwanted pups.

·
Registered
379 Posts
He will turn out a stunning sable. Thank you for taking him in before he fell into the wrong hands.

I recommend you touch base with the breeder that you now have the dog. The breeder can answer all your questions. You may want to know what type of dogs are in the pedigree so you know what to expect from this guy. Good breeders really care about their pups and will want to know.

Also may be worth reporting to the police. If you are keeping the pup (truly consider whether you want a workingline shepherd) you will not want whatever owner dumped him (if that is what happened) claiming him at a later date. You will need the records of ownership changed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He's beautiful. Curious, I would have contacted the breeder to discuss and find the answers to these questions. Most quality breeders take back unwanted pups.
Thanks for this. He did not come from a reputable breeder. There was a final sale certificate saying the breeder doesn’t take any responsibility for the dog once it is sold. I also can’t find his name. Just the parents names and a certificate from the “National Kennel Club” but no AKC certificate. For those reasons I’m wonder if he really is purebred and I’m wondering what his background is.

He will turn out a stunning sable. Thank you for taking him in before he fell into the wrong hands.

I recommend you touch base with the breeder that you now have the dog. The breeder can answer all your questions. You may want to know what type of dogs are in the pedigree so you know what to expect from this guy. Good breeders really care about their pups and will want to know.

Also may be worth reporting to the police. If you are keeping the pup (truly consider whether you want a workingline shepherd) you will not want whatever owner dumped him (if that is what happened) claiming him at a later date. You will need the records of ownership changed.
Thanks for this. Please see above response.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Bummer regarding the breeder. That's a pity.

Have you searched the registered names of the pups dam and sire if you have them?

He looks purebred. Without a pedigree you won't know.

One last line is to contact the vet if that info is there. This brings to my attention, you should have a vet take a look at him regardless.

I can't understand how someone can dump a puppy like that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
He looks 100% GSD and is a beautiful pup and indeed a rare find. I would heed the advice given so far.

·
Registered
246 Posts
What an awful start in life for this little guy, but at the same time he was lucky that you found him, and you were lucky to get a puppy with vet records, a crate, and toys. He looks like a very handsome sable GSD to me, but I am a black/tan and red/tan GSD owner and not the best source. I agree with the commenters above, just stopped by to wish you the best with your new puppy.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I bet the breeder got rid of him for whatever reason. Maybe a problem keeping him or he was the last dog that wasn't sold before breeder had to move or something. The odds of the papers with an abandoned dog suggests that is what happened.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bet the breeder got rid of him for whatever reason. Maybe a problem keeping him or he was the last dog that wasn't sold before breeder had to move or something. The odds of the papers with an abandoned dog suggests that is what happened.
Thanks for this. Actually I have the name and contact info of the woman who purchased the dog (for $1,500). It appears she’s local to the abandon location and the breeder may be a few states away from my research.

·
Premium Member
11,357 Posts
Puppies can be a handful!!!!!!!!!! That is why reputable breeders are there for their pups and will take them back. Amazes me that people who are in it to make a buck don't do AKC and still get decent prices.....his parents COULD easily be AKC registered, have been sold on limited and thus the "registry" is one that has no history or standing. How callous can anyone be to just dump the pup through a sale and not care what happens.........at least he was left with records, in a crate and where he was safe until picked up instead of on the side of a road. It does not excuse either the breeder or the buyer - but at least the buyer who abandoned him did not want him killed by a car or wildlife.

He looks like a purebred working line GSD without a doubt....be diligent and consistent in his foundation training and housebreaking - many people get frustrated with a high drive puppy. Come here for advice and keep us updated with photos of the little guy!

Lee

Reactions: Jags and Biscuit

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
More than likely just another of the many many new GSD owners who "always wanted one" but were totally unprepared for the biting phase and exercise requirements. Maybe an older buyer who forgot how much work the a was. Seems much more likely you had a small r responsible pet owner when they leave the pup in a crate/papers/breeder/vet info etc.

* I have got two GSD pups from owners who were over whelmed after a few weeks and either returned the dog to the breeder (older couple) or re-homed it (had bought litter mates).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Puppies can be a handful!!!!!!!!!! That is why reputable breeders are there for their pups and will take them back. Amazes me that people who are in it to make a buck don't do AKC and still get decent prices.....his parents COULD easily be AKC registered, have been sold on limited and thus the "registry" is one that has no history or standing. How callous can anyone be to just dump the pup through a sale and not care what happens.........at least he was left with records, in a crate and where he was safe until picked up instead of on the side of a road. It does not excuse either the breeder or the buyer - but at least the buyer who abandoned him did not want him killed by a car or wildlife.

He looks like a purebred working line GSD without a doubt....be diligent and consistent in his foundation training and housebreaking - many people get frustrated with a high drive puppy. Come here for advice and keep us updated with photos of the little guy!

Lee
Thank you Lee!

I've heard that "working-line GSDs do not make very good pets." Although I believe this is extraordinarily broad, would you be able to unpack that statement a little bit? I'm assuming with proper training and exercise a working-line GSD would make a fine pet.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks for this. Actually I have the name and contact info of the woman who purchased the dog (for $1,500). It appears she’s local to the abandon location and the breeder may be a few states away from my research.

You should give her a call to make sure her dog wasn't stolen or taken from her without her knowledge then. Or maybe a bitter domestic fight caused her partner to abandon the dog because he didn't want a puppy or something.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
If you give us the names on the breeding certificate, we may be able to help you find more info on the pup.
Working line dogs can be high energy, and definitely need a job and good obedience training. Balanced training works better with them than all-positive. You don't have to be harsh with them but they DO need to learn the word "NO"!

They also may be more mouthy/bitey than other breeds as pups. Please see the thread here in the puppy forum on dealing with this problem.

I have a working line dog, and haven't been able to train or walk her very much due to health issues. She's been WONDERFUL, and has had no problems coping with the reduced activity. So, a lot depends on the individual dog.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts