German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently feeding my 16 month old 90 pound male blue buffalo, Large Breed, chicken and brown rice formula, this is the fourth food I have tried, my other too like it and they are fine, I've tried science diet...Iams....even another crappy food (pun intended) which I don't care to mention (which I just did as a test) the problem is loose stool, it is always loose, I'm ready to try another food and was considering orijen? (I also give him a TBSP spoon of plain yogurt and three squirts of fish oil daily, which I have eliminated as the problem). Anyone out there got any thoughts suggestions? thank you.
Steve
:help:

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I feed both of my dogs TOTW, my 70 pound GSD mix gets 3 cups a day and my 80 pound GSD gets 3.5 cups a day. They are both 1.5 years old

I buy a 30 pound bag for $39.99

They have 3 different formulas

Here are the ingredients for their High Prairie Canine Formula

Bison, lamb meal, chicken meal, egg product, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, roasted bison, roasted venison, natural flavor, tomato pomace, ocean fish meal, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried fermentation products of Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Calorie Content: 3,719 kcal/kg (369 kcal/cup) Calculated Metabolizable Energy

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Every food you've tried has grains in it...maybe grain free? Orijen is really rich so expect some loose stool at first and do the switch really slow:)

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I feed Nature's Variety Instinct rabbit kibble. It's grain free and has worked great. I add some TOTW salmon because Stosh loves salmon and all seafood. I see that NV just came out with a salmon formula so I'll try it. I've heard nothing but great things about Orijen, except for some causing gas and loose poop so you'll just have to try it and see. There isn't a retailer within 90 miles of me that carries it or I would have tried it by now

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
If you have always fed him a chicken formula, take him off the chicken and give him a different flavor. I was feeding a chicken formula of Blue Buffalo as well and my puppy always had loose stools. When I switched her to an adult food by Blue Buffalo with Salmon, the problem cleared up and no more loose stools.

·
Registered
891 Posts
You might try Blue Buffalo Lamb and Rice....lamb is a very mild protein and my gsd puppy has done well with no loose stools.

·
Registered
397 Posts
First thing first is to stop him having yucky poop. Stop feeding him for at least 18 hours but offer water as usual, after the 18 hours is up go by this, this is what helped me tremendously... if you think chicken is an issue you can switch the chicken for boiled hamburg, you may also add on heaping teaspoon of pumpkin ( just pumpkin no spices or anything added) to each meal

Day 1- Am feeding 3/4 brown rice 3/4 C chicken
afternoon same thing
pm Same thing

Day 2- same as Day 1

Day 3- AM 1/2 c brown Rice 1/2 cup chicken 1/2 cup kibble
same from afternoon and Pm

Day 4- Same as day 3

Day 5- 1/4 C brown rice 1/4 chicken 1 cup kibble
same for afternoon and pm

Day 6 same as day 5

Day 7 all kibble

if on any of the days you noitce loose stool again go back to the previous day. You can also add in one heaping table spoon of pumpkin to each meal. This is what I Have been doing for almost 2 weeks and its been a god send.

·
Registered
397 Posts
For Kibble Id try a limited ingredient one right now whats working for us is Natural Balance Lamb and Rice.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Jgk2383, what would you recommend for dogs who are thought to be allergic to grains?

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
That's why I feed the Nature's Variety Instinct Rabbit- it's grain free and the rabbit has high protein. Stosh isn't a fan of chicken.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Jgk2383, what would you recommend for dogs who are thought to be allergic to grains?

heck, there are a ton of grain free foods you could try.
acana/orijen, Natures Variety Instinct, Wellness Core, EVO, TOTW.

as long as you are not feeding a pup, all those would be fine.

id look at Natural Balance as an absolute last resort for a severely allergic dog, as it is essentially a food based on potatoes and very little meat.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I feed mine Evo Red Meat and they do really well on it. It is grain free. When my female was a little younger she had a sensitive stomach and did really well on Fromms Duck and Sweet Potato. This is a really good food, though it is not grain free.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
have you had your dog treated for coccidia and giardia? ask your vet to treat with metradiazone....or at least get to the root of loose stools. Those parasites don't always show up in tests but are easy to catch...so just getting treated wouldn't hurt plus it helps the intestinal tract.

angeles had loose stools when he was a puppy and the metradiazone helped him out a lot...then he was able to eat his Iams Large breed Puppy with no problem. I did do the Iams Low Residue canned when I gave him the pill....that product really helps the stools. Not sure if it is back in stock yet.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
what would you recommend for dogs who are thought to be allergic to grains?
There are TONS of grain free foods on the market, many of which are hardly any more expensive than the grain-containing "junk" foods such as Science Diet or Iams. I am feeding Taste of the Wild and have had excellent results with it. It's one of the cheapest (price wise) grain free foods on the market.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
There are TONS of grain free foods on the market, many of which are hardly any more expensive than the grain-containing "junk" foods such as Science Diet or Iams. I am feeding Taste of the Wild and have had excellent results with it. It's one of the cheapest (price wise) grain free foods on the market.
Not to mention it's rated 6 out of 6 stars

:D

·
Registered
397 Posts
After you did the chicken and rice I would start to slowly introduce Taste of the wild using the formula i posted a few posts up.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
I am very happy with Orijen. As Zoeysmom says: go slow with the transition. My dog's production reduced greatly and are easy pickup. It is expensive but she consumes a lot less and her weight has remained stable. She also stopped shedding outside the normal shedding period.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for the input, I think I will start him on a small amount of TOTW tonight, and build it up over a few weeks, thanks again.
Steve

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Hey Niner-

Fellow Springs resident here. I would like to suggest you visit Ruffin-it on Powers/Stetson Hills and get their suggestions. They are an all natural food supplier store and were able to solve ALL of my pup's digestive issues after speaking with them about all I've been through. The good news is, I haven't needed to continue Titon on Tylan powder for weeks now when the vet thought he'd be on it for a long time. Titon would not absorb nutrients, would not gain weight and shed like crazy.

I started Titon on Blue Buffalo LBP when he came home at 8 weeks and was fighting the jets. Switched to Innova LBP and still had issues. Then switched to Wolf Cub. The only thing that would solve the issue using kibble was the addition of Tylan powder. I went as far as spending $600 at the vet for blood tests, stool exams, etc. to try to pinpoint the issues.

I went into that store hoping to try out TOTW and she then asked me a series of questions and suggested I try out the Raw Frozen of Nature's Variety for a week. I've been on it for 2 weeks now and poops are small AND solid. Very little shedding, shiny coat and best of all, he's gaining weight.

I have a fresh new never opened bag of Wolf's Cub if you want to try it. I'll give it to you free.

-E

1 - 19 of 19 Posts