German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!! I haven’t been over here in a while!!
I am wondering if anyone knows of a REPUTABLE source… website, journal, whatever… that has quality and unbiased info on different brands of kibble(specifically LID) out there. I am thinking of possibly switching and I got some really sound info from y’all a couple years ago when I got my first GSD. I just feel like everything I can search on the web is most likely biased because they are paid by ads or endorsements. If anyone has any info help a sista out!! TIA!!
@Momto2GSDs maybe you can help me?

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
HI LaLa! Glad to see you back!

If you mean something like "Dog Food Advisor".....no....not that I've seen.

If you want to know specifics like if the company uses supplements from China and ingredients....
Truth About Pet Food is your best bet. Nominal, annual charge, but well worth it!
https://truthaboutpetfood.com/ On the very top of the page in black, click on "Petsumer Report" to join.

This is a newer one I've been looking at:
After the DCM published info, I've looked into different dog foods for folks.
I found a family owned company in Wisconsin called American Natural Premium who uses Fromm as their manufacturer.

Brief Overview
American Natural Premium (ANP) was founded in Wisconsin in 1998. According to founders Gene Large and Jennifer Burlo, they wanted to provide high quality high quality pet food at an affordable price. According to the company, ANP focuses on three main criteria: quality, taste, and price. ANP currently makes nine kibbles for dogs (including three grain free foods); several treats and biscuits; and dry cat food. Company headquarters are located in Cedarburg, Wisconsin.

Who Manufactures American Natural Premium Dog Food?
According to the information we found from several sources, American Natural Premium pet foods are co-packed for the company by Fromm which has several USDA-inspected pet food manufacturing plants in Wisconsin.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Momto2GSDs thank you!!! Way back when I first got Ghost she was having all kind of tummy problems. You were one of the ones who suggested trying a LID food and I took one of your suggestions and she was immediately cured!! We have had her on Natures Variety Instinct Limited LID lamb since with zero issues! Just looking into maybe another LID kibble, since I have a 2nd GSD now!! Thank you again for sharing your wisdom! I had a feeling you’d steer me right!!

·
Super Moderator
2,501 Posts
If you don’t mind sorting out the crazies from the really good insights, two groups on FB: Dog Food Nerds of Facebook , and Canine: Nutrition and Dog Food Discussion.

Obviously (as with any large privately moderated FB groups) you’ll get some nonsense comments, but there are also people in there who know a TON about dog food and have dedicated obnoxious amounts of time to researching it, tracing ingredient sourcing, following recalls and distribution problems, etc.

·
Super Moderator
5,628 Posts
I belong to the Cat food nerds one, and the Canine nutrition one. Surprisingly the cat food group is pretty tame, considering how weird cat people can be. The Canine nutrition one does have a lot of good info, and yes, you do have to wade through a lot to get there sometimes.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I'd research them myself if I were you. Read the ingredients for yourself. You can check carb amounts and recalls on dogfoodadvisor. If you are looking for limited ingredients it should be fairly simple. I've been doing it myself for years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts